Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You’re not alone though, I have several “long term” “hang fire” projects on my workbench myself, some going back 2-3 years, and one that even goes back to 1977!
VR, Russ

That's good to know, now I don't feel so bad about some stuff that dates back to 1993/4 and 2004/5.

They never start off as long term projects though, do they? "This time, once I open the box, I'm going to finish it before..... Oh wow! Look at this new kit....."

My kit from 1977 was a wedding gift from my wife, who gave me a large and expensive (for that time) wood 1/48 kit of the Brandenburg Frigate “Berlin”. At the time, I was a Platoon leader in 2/11 ACR, and she was an American School teacher in Germany. So that model goes all the way back to my Sheridan days. It has travelled the world with me, even taking a long tour in Korea back in 1987, then back to Germany in the 90s, and again to Korea in 2000, so its well travelled. I work on it occasionally, when I get the bug for something that’s not plastic. It’s about 2/3 done, very detailed, but what keeps me hung up are the silk sails that demand expert folding and stitching. When I look at them, I just put it back in the box, as my “sewing skills” are severely lacking. But it does make me recall those memories from long ago as a Sheridan crewman. So it serves a good purpose. Someday, I’ll finish it. Perhaps in conjunction with my RFM Sheridan? Looking forward to seeing your finished product.
VR, Russ
Removed by original poster on 08/15/20 - 21:43:55 (GMT).
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Live Resin, how about making some Javelin weapon systems and additional ammo for them please.

I think this got posted in the wrong place?
VR, Russ
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 05:40 AM UTC
As promised, I pulled out the box with the, now, two started Sheridan kits.

In the interim I picked up a second barrel/PE set and the Sabot book on the Sheridan. There are plenty of pics of Vietnam Sheridans, many I hadn't seen before including several of "Body Count" with the twin 50s (also seen on the cover). Several of the photos appeared to be cropped close ups of other photos.

The book also covers M551s in Germany in the 70s, Desert Shield/Storm, Haiti and a brief "field maintenance" section showing the power pack and empty engine compartment. Pages 62-129 are detail and walk around photos of "Death Stalker." There are also a ton of interior photos. "Death Stalker" was part of the Littlefield collection and is now part of the American Heritage Museum.

If you don't have any Sheridan references in your library, I would say this is a great one stop purchase and a must have.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 06:02 AM UTC
Thanks Sherb. And what a great start they are! Did you get the book from Sprue Brothers? That looks like one of their labels in the corner. I’m really looking forward to you finishing your build. Perhaps it’ll motivate me to get started on mine!
VR, Russ
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC
Now I'd like to see a RFM sheridan being built.
Dan
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Sherb. And what a great start they are! Did you get the book from Sprue Brothers? That looks like one of their labels in the corner. I’m really looking forward to you finishing your build. Perhaps it’ll motivate me to get started on mine!
VR, Russ

Yup! Sprue Brothers. It was a "deal of the day" special, I got it close to half off.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC
Well, here she is....

sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:32 AM UTC
I love the figures....

sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:40 AM UTC
The added stowage racks....

Once painted, this one will be wrapped in chain link fence.

sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:48 AM UTC
Most of the mods and stowage were inspired by this photo: 3/4 Cav A Troop
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020 - 09:04 AM UTC
Got a coat of paint on everything and then installed some of the “glass.”

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
Looking good Sherb. Just as an aside, the inner swim vane clear panels were plexiglass, and subject to “fogging” around the edges, especially the inside panel. In humid weather, they could develop a sickly color of algae around the edges and over the panel, ranging from a light yellowish-brown to a dark green color. I’m sure the climate in Vietnam would rapidly enhance this effect. Here’s a shot of the Ft. Lewis M551A1/TTS Sheridan from the walk around I did last year, showing this effect on the inner panel. The outer panel would stay fairly clean, but the inner panel would become almost opaque. Crews would often throw a tarp over the swim vane panels to keep from walking on it, and to cut down any reflection. I think there was actually a special fabric cover for it in the BII, but I can’t recall actually having one.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/7928

VR, Russ
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Sherb. Just as an aside, the inner swim vane clear panels were plexiglass, and subject to “fogging” around the edges, especially the inside panel. In humid weather, they could develop a sickly color of algae around the edges and over the panel, ranging from a light yellowish-brown to a dark green color. I’m sure the climate in Vietnam would rapidly enhance this effect. Here’s a shot of the Ft. Lewis M551A1/TTS Sheridan from the walk around I did last year, showing this effect on the inner panel. The outer panel would stay fairly clean, but the inner panel would become almost opaque. Crews would often throw a tarp over the swim vane panels to keep from walking on it, and to cut down any reflection. I think there was actually a special fabric cover for it in the BII, but I can’t recall actually having one.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/79

VR, Russ

On my track the window had a piece of plywood screwed over it. I don't recall ever lifting the trim vane or raising the flotation barrier. I believe we must have at some time for a maintenance inspection(PMCS). My guess was that if the balloon went up we would not survive long enough to need to swim them anywhere. I did actually swim one in Sheridan School in Fort Knox, it worked as advertised.

Tom
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020 - 12:26 PM UTC
Yes, as Thomas has said, I saw some crews with plywood placed over the panels as well. The outer panels were prone to cracking, and I think in many cases, the crews just replaced the entire panel with plywood. They would have been fairly new in VN though, so it probably wasn’t a standard practice then. I think in the 70s when Thomas and I were in the 11th ACR, it was general practice In the Regiment not to raise the screens and swim vanes, but occasionally a troop commander would get “curious” and have it done, my troop (F/2/11 ACR) did it once in the spring of 1978, just to see what was under those covers. A lot of dirt for sure, and I know we spent quite a bit of time and “elbow grease” trying to clean the gunk off the inner swim vane window. I know one track in my troop did receive a completely new swim vane, and there was another that received parts of one, due to damage. They came in standard OD green, and it contrasted with the MERDC camo. But I think by that time, if you had a cracked or broken window, the plywood replacement was standard.
VR, Russ
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 01:27 AM UTC
Tom, Russ,
Thanks for the details, I love reading that stuff.
That's the kinda stuff that doesn't come from book learnin'.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 04:42 AM UTC
Admittedly, things have been moving slow....bouncing from project to project.

Here is the second M551 I've been working on. The large rack is from the Academy kit. It just required a little bit of trimming on the commander's side support.

sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 04:48 AM UTC
...and this is why things have been slow...
I fulled out the three old Academy Sheridans that I had built to update with some of the leftover Tamiya parts.

Here is the Academy turret.

-Tamiya searchlight on the left, Academy on the right.
-Tamiya plastic barrel on the top, Academy on the bottom.
-The smoke grenade launchers were way to big so I removed a section and regaled them together. They're also too large diameter-wise but I wasn't going to play with that as I'd never finish.

sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC
Two Academy turrets.

The top has the covered searchlight, barrel and rear cargo rack from the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya barrel is rifled.
I also realigned the shortened smoke grenade launchers. You can see the difference with the stock built Academy turret below.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 06:27 AM UTC
Sherb,
Yes, you’ve been busy! I never bought the Academy Sheridan, based on reviews of the kit (and the fact it only came in early and late versions). But now I see what the hub-bub was all about. Looks like you’re getting things fixed up pretty well on them though. You’re right, those grenade launchers are all wrong, but you’ve done a nice job correcting them. It’ll be interesting to see your Tamiya Sheridan and the Academy side by side when you’re through with them.
VR, Russ
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 07:02 AM UTC
Here's a comparison of the stock Academy kit on the left and the Tamiya kit on the right. The Academy is pretty basic. I haven't seen the Rye Field kit....yet.

--edit--I'll have to take another pic, the perspective makes the Academy kit look smaller.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 10:19 AM UTC
Sherb,
Here’s a link to my review of the RFM Sheridan. It looks much more like the Tamiya kit, but with a lot of detail (like somewhere over 600 parts!). The Academy kit pales in comparison with both the Tamiya and RFM kits. I think Tamiya and RFM are much better In dimension and scale. Perhaps with the exception of the tracks in the RFM kit, which were patterned after a well-worn set. Not sure what the Academy tracks look like, but the Tamiya ones seem very nice.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/14832

VR, Russ
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 10:27 AM UTC
Agreed on the track wear. Even the Fruil set has a level of track pad rubber that is almost at the same height as the metal cleat.... similar across all the 551 kits.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Agreed on the track wear. Even the Fruil set has a level of track pad rubber that is almost at the same height as the metal cleat.... similar across all the 551 kits.

It appears that nobody has a set of “new tracks” then, so I guess it’s a toss up. Was hoping Tamiya would be different.
VR, Russ
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 02:15 AM UTC
I found a photo of the Tamiya box top artwork.

It was from this book and was a full page photo. Page 174