_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
RFM M4A3 question
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC
I really was hyped when the announcement came that RFM produces a Sherman with full interior (I am kind of sucker for them), so I ordered one, as it does not come into play with the decision to buy how accurate it is.

However I am curious... how accurate is it? Are there any glaring issues with the kit?
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really was hyped when the announcement came that RFM produces a Sherman with full interior (I am kind of sucker for them), so I ordered one, as it does not come into play with the decision to buy how accurate it is.

However I am curious... how accurate is it? Are there any glaring issues with the kit?

If you were refering to the M4A3E8 I had a build here on thekit, just the outside.
Here's a link to it
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArouE_A-TfGGgaU1lcVMFskHV6Lqfg?e=cRv4Av

It's a really nice kit even if the track is a little challenging.
Regards.
Donald
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 09:07 AM UTC
Donald's build is well worth a read! And I reviewed the exterior-only kit here - it's pretty good on the outside. Can't say about the interior, but from the few CAD images I've seen it looks good in there too.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 06:00 PM UTC
Thank you both... it seems like the tracks are a nightmare. I will probably explore alternatives.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 08:59 PM UTC
The tracks aren't "bad" - they just take a lot of time to build. This is not a quick model, so having to invest a number of sessions to assemble lengths of track is part of the experience. They look great when done, and I'd resist the urge to replace them with something less good that will detract from the rest of the excellent details on the model.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 09:41 PM UTC
Most of the track sections don't need to be flexible either, just the parts at the ends, top run to sprocket to first road wheel and top run over the idler down to last road wheel, the rest can be more or less stiff.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 12:25 AM UTC
Of indy tracks, the RFM HVSS ones aren't difficult -- just tedious. I did them while in the living room with the TV on.

Difficult would be having to remove lots of attachment points or fill in shrinkage or injection pin marks with putty. The RFM ones aren't burdensome in those areas. They're well molded and come off the sprues cleanly.

They're very accurate once built -- I don't think alternatives will be superior in accuracy terms.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 12:31 AM UTC
Regarding accuracy, the choice of markings is curious. Photos of "A Paper Doll" show it as having T66 tracks. The RFM kit has, as you know, the T80 tracks. It also has the full canvas mantlet cover or mounting hardware if you want to show it "naked". Photos show some WW2 tanks the the hardware -- but very few with the canvas cover. The kit also has the armored exhaust deflector -- again, a rarity in WW2 era photos.

Overall, it's a very very accurate kit -- but just hard to match it with known photos of WW2 deployed tanks. If you want to be super accurate and match it to known tanks, you may need to draw upon your spares box (older style exhaust deflector, T66 tracks, e.g.). I've gone the opposite direction -- updating it to a Korean War tank (using Asuka spare first aid box and infantry telephone box) to match a certain photographed tank.

But as far as finesse, it's on par or even above Asuka/Tasca IMHO. That's very high praise as I consider Asuka/Tasca to be superlative, in general.
 _GOTOTOP