Hosted by Darren Baker
Any interest in an Obscure Sherman group buil
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:58 PM UTC
will the M51 Isherman will do ? i always wanted to build that and also is a major coverted Sherman though it was used enough from Israelis. Itsont a prototype but its something different based on a Sherman. Please let me know

tyhanks

Costas
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

to everyone 'about' Gunnie: Don't be fooled ladies and gents......the Gunnie is 'tricky' that way...he'll lure you into thinking he's not building anything and then Voila!! the bugger has built an 8th Wonder of the World!!.....so keep an eye on our good Gunnie......

Heh Heh - in my best evil Eric Cartman laugh...

Remind me in about a month or two to show you some pics of my M39 Armored Utility Vehicle conversion on the AFV Club M18 HellCat, and my two scratchbuilt M135 and M211 2 1/2-ton Cargo Trucks from the mid-1950's...

I think the M39 will make it to the IPMS/USA National Convention, but I'm not sure if Life will allow me to complete the M135 and M211 Trucks in time...

Now - back to the obscure Sherman thread...

Gunnie
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
I got an idea ...How about we say that "obscure" means any Sherman that when finished does not resemble the picture on the box...for example if you start with Tamiya's M4A3 kit ...well You might change the turret and Make it an M4A3 76mm ...Hey I'm sure we can trust each other ...CAN'T WE? :-) Or a new hull and turret to make an early M4A1 instead of a late. Let's just say it can't be the same as on the box top that it came from ..how's that?

Rick
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Howdy thebear,

Good idea, but would that be 'obscure' enough?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Hollowpoint's interpretation of this. Instead of building just another Sherman with a few mods, I think what our 'Zod had in mind (I wish he'd 'pipe' in here )was something a tad more exotic (?).

My Composite idea was based on the remark of "something not available in plastic". Obviously a Composite-hulled Sherman is not 'obscure' by definition. So, technically shouldn't count, unless the "plastic" thing is a parameter.

Being a huge fan of anything 'variant', I would love to see this GB get off the ground!

Tread.

Maybe I should think more about my 'LuLu'........
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:04 AM UTC
Gentlemen?
First off,thanks for the replies I had know idea it would generate this much interest
Second,I apologize for not chiming in sooner I was not able to connect to the net for the past few days
OK,let me explain,at least my version,of obscure I am talking of any type of Sherman that you really don't see in plastic I'll even include the M3 Lee/Grant series in,as the Sherman was based on that series originally
M4E8-105mm
M4A1E8
M4A2E8
Early IDF M50's on the narrow V.V.S.S. bogies
Any of the British "Funnies"
Mine clearing Sherman
Dozer blade variations on the V.V.S.S or H.V.S.S
The Canadian Grizzly's
Sextons -a 25lber looks almost like an M7 Priest
M4A6-a prototype-
Canal Defense Light-thought those were more on the M3 Lee/Grant hulls I believe
That is all I can think of for right now Sorry about the llate replies,also been a looooooooong day
Basically what it boils down to is that I want it to be a bit of a challange I.E. scratchbuilding or kit bashing skills

I will try to keep up with this idea as much as possible
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tread.

Oh.....and something that's been running through my head lately (but I've already got too many 'projects' goin' on) and would be a pretty neat "obscure" Shermy, would be the M17 7.2 inch 'Whizbang' Sherman-based rocket launcher platform. The Seventh Army used a couple of them in France.
Just an idea.

Tread That would deffinatley qualify
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about the Italeri M36B1 Jackson? Sort of a Sherman from the hull down. Or I could do my ancient Revell M4A1E8 with composite hull.

Sounds good to me Rob
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How bout an M50 based on an M4a4 with Cummins engine ?? Would that do? I think I still have that MP kit somewhere around here .God I'm old ! :-)

Rick

Rick,good choice
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
I have a resin 1/35 M4A3 early (Ford) hull (±1000 were built) and know virtually nothing about the variants that used this hull.
Anybody got any photos of this hull in use?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a resin 1/35 M4A3 early (Ford) hull (±1000 were built) and know virtually nothing about the variants that used this hull.
Anybody got any photos of this hull in use?

That's a pretty rare critter. Here's a bit of in-service reference: http://mmcalc.tripod.com/Shermans/M4A3_dry.html
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:01 AM UTC
Methinks salvation is at hand hehe.I've just been looking at a review of the latest DML firefly Vc and it seems that you also get the 60lb rockets in the box that went on the sherman Tulip.
If this is the case Lord Zod,would the Tulip count as obscure enough for the build?
Regards
Pete :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
Howdy 'Zod,

You have apparently excited the bunch of us who cherish the Sherman as an exciting piece of Allied 'steel'!.........and, as I know you are usually driving from 'here-to-there'.....and are quite busy doing just that, would you mind me suggesting, that one of us 'other' Sherman aficionado's assist you (on a regular basis) to give this 'Obscure Sherman' GB some legs??.........?
As much as I would simply love to be "that person"....I think that either Hollowpoint, or ShermiesRule should have the 'honours' first...............

Please let us know.....because I'm 'chompin' at the bit' mate!!!...............

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
Well I stared at Tread's last post for a while mulling it over and over in my head. Looks like I may have been ordered to volunteer!!!

Anyway if Zod submits the form and the campaign is accepted I will volunteer to help him.

Muuhahahahahah! I will have to power to accept or decline your submissions!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

".....Muuhahahahahah! I will have to power to accept or decline your submissions!!!...."

What have I done!!!........

Mannnnn, 'Zod's goin' ta be pissed at me!!!!......
'Zod, if you're listening......please stop by and make a ruling on having one, or the other, or both as your assistant's on this quest!.......personally I would be totally honoured to have both of them participating along with me on a Sherman Campaign/GB!!!!!
I regard them both as warmly supportive members of this fraternity we have created here, and indeed, standard bearer's of the Shermanaholic's flag of salutation!
There are other's I can think of that are quietly herald's of the cause, but I will surrender that judgement to you sir...........

Tread.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:55 PM UTC
Having watched this thread for the past few days (and watching the rules etc. evole, devolve and spin in circles), I'd like to ask if a Soviet Sherman fits in here (it will be the new Academy kit)?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
Howdy PorkChop!

Mighty glad to see you 'yak' at us! Your question is a 'dandy'!......and actually make's me think of all the slendid picture's I have assembled of the Polish Sherman Armoured Corps. They are guilty of creating some wonderful variations on the adornment of Sherman's in the ETO. Not only in applique armour, but in stowage, marking's, etc.
But...if you have great example's of Russian
Sherman's.........I am ALL ears!.....

Tread.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:05 PM UTC
Tread.... well, about all I can say is it would have russian markings, russian tankers, and russian tank riders.

However, I would be interested in seeing some of these Polish photos you speak of....
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
Since we are talking bout building Russian and Polish Shermans would I be able to do a NZ sherman II based on Academys M4A2 kit?
Also as it has already be mentioned in the other Sherman group build topic started by Steve WWH would we be able to combine the two so poor people like my self who would like to particpate in both can?
TIA
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
well guys if u want an Israeli M51 Super Sherman that will be superdetailed. Count me in .i em entering

Costas
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Methinks salvation is at hand hehe.I've just been looking at a review of the latest DML firefly Vc and it seems that you also get the 60lb rockets in the box that went on the sherman Tulip.
If this is the case Lord Zod,would the Tulip count as obscure enough for the build?
Regards
Pete :-)

Sounds great to me Pete
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having watched this thread for the past few days (and watching the rules etc. evole, devolve and spin in circles), I'd like to ask if a Soviet Sherman fits in here (it will be the new Academy kit)?

Yes I would say that qualifiys
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi fellas,
Since we are talking bout building Russian and Polish Shermans would I be able to do a NZ sherman II based on Academys M4A2 kit?
Also as it has already be mentioned in the other Sherman group build topic started by Steve WWH would we be able to combine the two so poor people like my self who would like to particpate in both can?
TIA

Andy,that does seem like a great idea We Will Hold sent me a PM asking me the same thing

As a matter of fact what would the rest of ya'll think of combining the two builds into one Or leave them seperate? Like Andy says,some people may not be able to afford making a conversion Personnaly I would still like to see as many "obscure" vehickles as possible

As far as someone assisiting me I would love all the help I can get Lord knows it can be a pain in the neck for me to get time to connect to the e web at times
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
Tread
Did you get those 2 pics I sent out on Monday?
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC
Lord Zodnik- (& how are Non & Ursa, if I may ask...)
I think combining the Campaigns would be a capital Idea! I have noticed in the past a certain freindly rivalry on this site for members to attempt to outdo eachother in a build by coming up with their own "twist" on the campaign Idea. I believe that left to their own devious devices, a majority of builders in a Sherman build would go for the lesser known variants just for the one-upsmanship of it. This I believe is one of the better characteristics of the characters hereabouts. It's all in fun yet it drives us all to succeed. So I say, bring on a combined Sherman build, and I may just be forced to scratch a type 62 turret for my Tamiya M4A3...
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Lord Zod
If you wish to combine the two threads into one big groupie or whatever then that's fine by me.
Also if you need any assistance I don't mind helping out,but the fact that I don't know a great deal about Shermies etc might count against me hehe.
Pete