Hosted by Darren Baker
Any interest in an Obscure Sherman group buil
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:49 AM UTC
I think it would be easier to administer if it were just an open Sherman category.

No need to ask if this or that qualifies. Just crank out them Shermans!!!
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hey Zod
Will the m51 work or the eygpten version with the
Amx turrent ? If so count me in
ponysoldier
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it would be easier to administer if it were just an open Sherman category.

No need to ask if this or that qualifies. Just crank out them Shermans!!!

This sounds like a plan to me. I'd hate to exclude someone because they lack reference or experience to build an "obscure" vehicle. Not all of us are Shermaniacs or Shermaholics, nor do we all have Hunnicutt's bible of Shermandom. Die-hard Sherman fans while certainly try to do something unique and special, while others will be building a Sherm for the first time pretty much OOTB.

Of course, if this became a "Campaign," perhaps we could recognize those who go "above and beyond the call of duty" with a special device on the campaign ribbon (I'm not ever sure if this is possible -- just an idea).
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
Okay ..when and where??? I'm already sanding bogies here ....Can we start?? Can I ? Can I? PLEASEEEEEE! How many can we build?? :-)
Let's get this gig on the road!!
Think it is time for my pill! #:-) ...lol
Let's all just have fun and let's learn something..

Does it show I'm ready to go ?? humm?

Rick
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
If it's a group build I say go for it now? Zod will pick an end date sometime later in the year.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it's a group build I say go for it now? Zod will pick an end date sometime later in the year.

Alan
I am not sure of start date just yet I am in 2 group builds right now-Move it and project-x What I am also in aggrement is making it a basic Sherman category

In the campaigns section I have aggreed to WeWillHold's idea of combing the two I was thinking maybe starting around August and ending 5 or 6 months later That way anyone else besides me who is in other group builds won't feel too much pressure
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

O.K.....you guys are killin' me here!

But that's alright. Just like 'thebear', I've already got a set of M3 bogies detailed and ready to go. I've also begun sawing away on my 'Composite' kitbash hull project (thank's to Hollowpoint). I've completed the exhaust portion of my PTO SeaBee 55 gal. drum wading stack conversion (just need to spend time figuring out the 'intake' interface). And, I'm almost finished (well, you're never really finished) with my ref-surfing in regards to PTO Sherman's sporting various bogie mounted
anti-personnel planking and spouting Flame!

So, you guys decide in which direction this Sherman build is going to go........because whatever way ya choose ladies and gents.........I'm ready!!! :-) :-)

Tread.

Oh.....almost forgot. I may decide to have one of these Sherman's towing something as well!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
All you guys asking about the start date are missing the point.

Build your Sherman projects now if you wish

Zod will pick a start date

If you can't include your current build within the start date, buy another Sherman and start a new project!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...Build your Sherman projects now if you wish

Zod will pick a start date..."

Nary a problomo Shermies.......I'm already doin it!

:-)

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC
I mean, really.... you'd think that some people think there are other models besides Shermans to build
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
OK dudes and dudettes #:-) being as how WeWillHold had started a thread in the campaign forums on a Sherman build as well I sent him a PM telling him it's a good idea to combine the two I also asked if he would like to help me lead the thing,simply because he did start a similar thread to mine

When I hear from him I will let ya'll know what his answer is If he doesn't wish too.then I will ask for another person to help me out

I do apreciate the offer to help me lead this by the way Like stated earlier sometimes it is a pain for me to find either the time,or a truck stop that has wireless internet so I can connect (++) (++) (++)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC
Another idea,courtesy of sabot in chat How about movie Shermans? For example,Oddball's Sherman form Kelly's Heroes You take the Tamiya M4A3 75mm variant and add a 76mm barrel to it Also need the unit markings and make sure you got the T54 metal chevron tracks
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
Are there that many memorable Shermans out there in the movies?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hmmmmm............there was an M50/51 Super Sherman in the 'Big Red One'...........didn't John Belushi drive a Sherm' in the film '1941'?.......aaaahhhh, I remember seeing at least one or two in 'The Longest Day'.....how about 'A Bridge too far'?.........heck, I'm tryin'......

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC
Those are great Tread but they just aren't recognizable except for Oddball's Sherman.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
Dan Akroyd drove an M3 Lee in the movie "1941". John Belushi was the pilot of a P-40 Warhawk.

Other semi notable M4 Shermans (or M3 Lees) from movies not already mentioned:

• The tank from the movie "Tank Girl" with Lori Petty was a heavily modified Sherman.
  • Lulu Belle from the movie "Sahara" was Humphrey Bogart's M3 Lee. James Belushi's remake used a Lee as well.
  • James Gardner's tank from the movie "Tank" was a Sherman.
  • Audie Murphy also climbed up on some type of tank during his movie "To Hell and Back". I think it was an M-10, but I don't remember.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:14 AM UTC
I have now started an officila thread in the campaigns section I still need someone to help me run the thing

IIRC,ShermiesRule and Hollowpoint were "voluntered" to help me out Please let me know
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan Akroyd drove an M3 Lee in the movie "1941". John Belushi was the pilot of a P-40 Warhawk.

Other semi notable M4 Shermans (or M3 Lees) from movies not already mentioned:

• The tank from the movie "Tank Girl" with Lori Petty was a heavily modified Sherman.
  • Lulu Belle from the movie "Sahara" was Humphrey Bogart's M3 Lee. James Belushi's remake used a Lee as well.
  • James Gardner's tank from the movie "Tank" was a Sherman.
  • Audie Murphy also climbed up on some type of tank during his movie "To Hell and Back". I think it was an M-10, but I don't remember.

Good list, Rob!

I think Tankgirl's tank was a heavily modified M50 or M51 (hard to tell under all the crap they piled on it). It amazingly started out as a T-55!! (only in the movies ... eh? )

James Garner's "Tank" was a M4A3 75mm, pretty close to what Tamiya sells.

It's been a while since I've seen "To Hell and Back," but I think it was an M-10 in real life but an M4A3 in the movie. (For those who may not know, Audie Murphy earned the Medal of Honor, then starred in the movie about himself.)

I'll try to link a pic:

If that doesn't work, look here: http://www.audiemurphy.com/mov_1769/p38_1769.htm
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:26 PM UTC

Whoo hooo,I was # 1 to enlist.

Obscure...hmmm,a captured Sherman in german markings?????hmmm let me think about it.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:06 PM UTC
Auddie Murphy climbed onto a burning M-10 tank (not the smartest Idea) and used the .50 and held back a german advance, the germans had no idea (and were positive it wasn't) that one man was releasing that hail of bullets, and they stopped and took cover, Audie than kept firing until he ran out of ammo, he then got down, and moments later the tank exploded. (or gun motor carriage you nitpicker! :-) )
 _GOTOTOP