_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-34/76 Mod 1941 build up
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
Ok ,kiddies here we go as I do my build of the Dragon T-34/76 Mod 1941.

The sprues just splashed everywhere.Note the PE .

Da box art.

I pressed the idler shaft into the back of the idler,so I can adjust the idlers for tension when I do the track.

I needed to clamp the final drive cones to the lower hull,to avoid a gap in this area.

So far a fun build.
Monte
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC
Hey Carl...

I was wondering what those "tire marks" were on the turret and the hull of the tank. Looks like someone drove a HUMV over the tank. Apparetntly they are included in the decals?

didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:39 PM UTC
Carl,

Nice pictures. I am ahead of you, and as you know I love this kit.

My one (minor) complaint is the number of sprue attachments, like on the wheels where there are 8 each!!! I know it is just to ensure good plastic, but I have been sanding and carving forever!!!

I tried to get a barrel for this tank, and I failed to find one locally, so I just used the plastic one. It turned out really nice, just took a touch of Mr Surfacer here and there on the seams.

I am still considering some Friul tracks for my tank, but I have removed all of the track links, cleaned them up, and glued a few together. My hulls are 90% done, and just need toolboxes and detail parts. I will do the turret tomorrow or the next day.

I also left the idlers off of the model, which I actually thought up on my own, theres' a first!! Generally I make it as hard as possible on myself...

Any issues so far? I am loving this model...

Scott Gentry
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
Yo,Monte!
Those are decals,a white and green design.I have a Concord publication or is it Vangard about T-34's and there is a photo of a real tank with that exact marking.But I doubt my paint matching skills,so I will NOT paint that winter scheme with the cross hatch.I like the slogans that are on the decal sheet instead.

Scott,
I agree about the attachment points,but I take a Zen view and file,file,file.If I gouge it a bit that = worn roadwheel...
I had no issues with the previous mod 1940,so this one should fall together just the same.Also I do not mind the indy links from the kit.With careful planning and the movable idler mount,I can make them sag just right.

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
Well,here is some more accomplishmnets,I have the upper and lower hull glued,and I am "dressing the upper hull with it's bits.

This shows a gap I had to fill on 1 side from the front plate joint to the hull.

And this is how I am prepping the PE mounts for the fuel tank straps,I prebend them,and install them.The next part on top will be put in place,then the top bend will go over a bit more.

didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
Nice Work Carl. I am only a little ahead of you now, you are catching me!!! I spent hours and hours cleaning road wheels and tracks.

I wasn't sure I was going to use the PE straps, keep the pics coming, I think I will use mine now... Thanks!

Scott Gentry

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 01:20 PM UTC
I'll give ya a hint on the track,I dont sand the attach nubs,I use a xacto,and carve in that area after I remove it from the sprue.
The roadwheels will take a while but wont be impossible

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Well,the main assembly is completed,a little clean up and this puppy is ready for the spary booth.
I used a Jordi Rubio barrel,its a drop in.

didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC
Carl,

Looks super! I used the kit barrel, wasn't lucky enough to find a barrel...

Can't wait to see it finished....

BTW, you passed me up now. I am slightly behind you...

Nice work, although I should tell you I am quite possible the slowest modeler on the face of the earth.

Scott Gentry
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:52 PM UTC
Scott,I assume there isnt a well stocked LHS near you?The Jordi Rubio barrels are my replacement of choice.
So tonight it will be another bout of Soviet green,though I may go a bit darker than the color I used on my Mod 1940.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:28 AM UTC
Carl,

I actually work at a hobby store, and it is a great one for kits, etc... but no detail parts. I drove to Great Models as they usually stock parts, but they were all out of barrels for the 1941 model. Had lots of barrels for the 1940 model and lots for the 85 model, but none.

Oh well, the kit barrel actually is quite good. I assembled it, left it to dry, and used a bit of Mr Surfacer a couple of times, and it looks good. Not as nice as yours, but certainly passable.

I will paint tonight as well. I am using MM enamel Soviet Armor green, and I plan to do it dark as well. My plan is to paint a darkened shade all over the tank and road wheels, then spray a mixture on the turret and hull top of a slightly lightened mixture that will be part tan or dark yellow for some tonal difference. I will follow that up with three part drybrush, lightened green, metallic (raw umber oil/enamel silver paste) and subtle yellow tan in some areas. Then oil washes...

Can't wait to see some pics of yours.

Scott Gentry
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC
After the first time this model was posted, I just had to get it. A bit behind in the build ,but catching up.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
John,this is just a fun build,use our pictures to help you through the fiddly areas.A word of help,leave the long toolbox off,it is easier to paint the hull with it off.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John,this is just a fun build,use our pictures to help you through the fiddly areas.A word of help,leave the long toolbox off,it is easier to paint the hull with it off.

John, agreed. Also, Carls' earlier recommendation to leave the idlers off until you fix the tracks is an excellent one as well. Could really save some heartache later on...

This is a great kit, you will enjoy it.

Scott
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:02 AM UTC
Thanks Carl and Scott.. Headache is coming as the idlers are on Toolbox is not so 1 out of 2 is not bad. It is a great build, alot of fun. I agree on the wheel sanding though .I've gotten 3 complete to now! Keep the photos coming..BTW neither of you is gonna try the Winter scheme?
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Carl and Scott.. Headache is coming as the idlers are on Toolbox is not so 1 out of 2 is not bad. It is a great build, alot of fun. I agree on the wheel sanding though .I've gotten 3 complete to now! Keep the photos coming..BTW neither of you is gonna try the Winter scheme?

NO WAY!!!

Just kidding, but not this time. I am not the biggest fan of winter paint jobs, and to do this one right, I would end up not using the decals and painting it, and then, ouch!

A green one for me, probably with a slogan on the turret.

What tracks are you gonna use? If you use the kit ones, I sure hope the modeling gods are smiling on you as it will be tough to get the exact number of link right. Remember that you do have one thing on your side: the T-34's did have a LITTLE sag on the top, so you should be able to use this to your advantage. Another option is to use friul tracks and maybe even play with the drive sprocket a little. You will get it...

Once I get some painting done, I may try to figure out how to post some pics, but to this point my model looks almost exactly like Carls', with the exceptions that I used the kit barrel and elected to use the plastic toolbox straps instead of the Photo etch. (I have several other projects in the works, and this build was for fun, so I decided I didn't want to spend the time and aggravation to do the multipiece PE ones - I will use them on my T-34/85)

Scott Gentry
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
Carl,

Dumb question for you: I see you have installed the machine gun barrel and both the extra tracks and the ice cleats.

Why did you do this prior to paint? I left these off along with the exhaust pipes as these items are not the hull color??? Wouldn't it be easier to paint and then install these items?

I also left the long toolbox off as well as it is so large it will make painting the hull difficult.

Talk to you later.

Scott Gentry
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC
Nice looking T-34 M1941 Carl ! I'm looking forward to seeing it painted up. You did a great job on those small PE parts. My only question is, why do you do most of your armor kits buttoned up ?

FYI to Scott, I have plenty of both JR and Eduard 76.2mm F-34 gun barrel at my shop If you need one let me know.

Good to go, Carl !!

Cheers !!

Alpen
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
I painted my T-34.
i used the soviet armor green again,with a few drops of dark green.
I have small brushes,so I can go back and pick out the exhausts,and the spare track /ice cleats.Also the MG barrels.
the PE is easy enough to do with a plan.I started with the hull angle pieces.Then I installed the top open rectangle piece,bent over the fuel tank.

Next i threaded the top strap,and hooked the end into the lower angle.It went smoothly,but fiddly.I superglued the contact points
I did leave off the straps for the ice cleats,it will make it easier to paint the cleats and put them over later.
An optivisor and 2 tweezers were my best friends!
Now I let the paint cure,and I will take some pictures tomorrow
Happy tanking

didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC
Carl,

You are slacking, buddy!! I caught up to you. LOL! My T-34 is also now a lovely Soviet Green, I used MM enamel as I said and I felt it was dark enough as is. I will darken some and use it to shade later.

What a nice kit. I am really still impressed with this model, and plan on doing many more Dragon kits. The only Dragon tank I had ever done before this was an M1 Abrams ages ago, and I hated it, but I doubt I was ready for it.

BTW, was it just me or were the color directions a little bit tricky? I had a hard time locating a few of the parts, and I had to review the entire instructions carefully prior to paint as I missed a few tiny parts. No big deal but something to think about. I think if you build Hasegawa or Tamiya kits you get a little spoiled with the excellent instructions.

Anyway, I am going to let mine cure for at least a couple of days, then back to tracks and weathering.

Scott Gentry
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice looking T-34 M1941 Carl ! I'm looking forward to seeing it painted up. You did a great job on those small PE parts. My only question is, why do you do most of your armor kits buttoned up ?

FYI to Scott, I have plenty of both JR and Eduard 76.2mm F-34 gun barrel at my shop If you need one let me know.

Good to go, Carl !!

Cheers !!

Alpen

Alpen, what is your shop? How much are the barrels? I will probably do another one of these some time as it is just such a nice kit. I am sure Hoping Dragon continues on and does the 1942 and 1943 versions, with all three later turret versions. That would be sweet!!!

Then, they could do us all a favor and start with a brand new M4A1 and do a complete series of accurate Shermans!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Hope your T-34 is as fun as mine has been.

Scott Gentry
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hey all, Well I'm just about to the indys and being this will be my first try...any hints or tips?
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all, Well I'm just about to the indys and being this will be my first try...any hints or tips?

USe sprue cutters to remove the indis and then an Xacto to clean up instead of sanding sticks or sandpaper. Use a thin liquid cement to assemble them. I line them up with all of them pressed up on one side against a straight edge. A ruler or a piece of wood or plastic will do. This will keep the section straight. Add the tracks link by link. After 5 minutes or so, (I use Tamiya Extra Thin cement) they will become malleable. (The tracks won't come apart, but they will flex and bend a little)

I start with the straight section on the bottom (ground) under the drive wheels. Then I build end sections on each side, starting with the rear and ending in the front so you can use the adjustment of the idler to make the tracks fit perfectly.

Does this help? I hope so. My tank is completely painted in green, I will let this dry another day or two, then add the exhaust pipes (Moskit metal pipes) and machine gun, ice cleats, extra links, and the tracks. I will also paint the tires on the road wheels. I will also decal at this stage, then dullcoat once the assembly is complete.

Hope it goes well!!! Carl should post some pics tonight.

Scott Gentry
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
I agree about how to assemble the track.I have painted my roadwheels,and the idler.I wil insert the sprocket,not glue it,since guide teeth have to fit in.
I will post more pictures soon,probably as I start making track so Pvt Parts can see how I do it.
Dunno,the Green came out good,but.....
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:23 PM UTC
I wish VLS would get this kit in...I'm going to build mine as a T-34 armed with the 57mm gun.

_GOTOTOP