_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What degree of completion before painting?
SturmNdrang
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
I have seen many pics of projects "in process", often with all of the goodies attached (eg - shovels, picks, jacks, etc).

Do most builders attach all of these exterior pieces first and then hand paint the detail on these pieces after the main body colors and weathering has been done?

It would speed the completion of the model to get these pieces attached (and avoid permant loss to the carpeting); however, I am not sure that the fine detail work can be completed on these small pieces once attached.

Thanks for any input.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi, Personally I think it all depends on what an individual modeler is comfortable with on each kit. I find on some models I would rather detail paint the small items once they are already on the vehicle, and on others it's easier for me personally to paint them seperately and them install them later.

Of course, if you do it the latter way, you have to be prepaired to scrape off the paint at the areas where the piece attaches, and sometimes this is harder to do than trying to paint the piece on the model to begin with.

Just have to try it both ways and see which one you're more comfortable doing or better at for the time being.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:26 AM UTC
This topics seems to be a basis for discussion since the start of time. It all boils down to personal preference. Do things however you are most comfortable. If you want to paint tools off the kit and attach later with superglue or by scraping and gluing, that's fine, but if you want to assemble all and paint details later, just as good.
Sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said, but sgirty beat me to the post while I was typing this !!!!
Oh well. HTH
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
My preference is to get things built up, including many of the detail items. I hate scraping the paint of because I end up screwing things up, and would rather detail paint the parts once attached.

Although tracks, or wheels with poly caps or some stuff that doesn't require massive gluing, I will paint off then attach later. It seems to me it's more of a situation by situation things as much as it is a preference for each builder.
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:27 PM UTC
I posted a question similar to this one and got the same answers...
I tried building the model and paint it afterwards, but when I had the chassis build I decided to paint it anyways. Building first and paint it afterwards just doesn't do it for me..... Somehow it just doesn't seem/feel right to leave the model unpainted and go ahead with it (especially not when you have an interior to do, allthough I'm not a rivetcounter when it come to interiors)
To make a long story short, most of the times I take the pieces of the sprue, prime the model, attach it to the model and when (I think) most of the parts on one piece of the model are attached, I paint the model...
leaving the model looking like this;

And wheather the whole thing afterwards... (allthough thats a whole different story, cause I never really get to the wheathering...I hate it )
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 05:00 PM UTC
I personally believe that each of us develope our own system for this part of the finish project, and that system developes with experience, and practice, and subject.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
As you can see from below, almost everything is assembled before painting starts. The turret is removable and only the machine gun is kept seperate! I find all small items are easier painted, fixed in place, as you have only one big piece to hold!
As mentioned above each kit needs a little thought. When poly cap wheels or rubber tracks are included I usually paint them individually. Interiors have to be painted before proceeding. This all comes with experience.

This is what works for me ... Im happy with the results I get .. but there is nowrong method. If you get the results you likewith your own method, its better to stick to what works for you. But i do recommend trying an almost complete build at least once. It gets easier as you do it more often as well.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:29 PM UTC
This is something that everybody has to work out on their own, to get their own sense of how it feels right.
Models have been painted all ways, and they came out great. To what will work for one might not work for another, everybody is different, every model is different.
Some will have pieces that you won't be able to paint after you get it put together, unless you want it the same color, so there are no set rules.
All you can do is try to plan it out, the best you can, and if you have a problem, just ask someone, and they will be willing to help on advice, on how to proceed thru a certain step the best they know.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:19 PM UTC
In my case, with my armour, pretty much do the buildup first, then paint. I leave the wheels and running gear off and paint separately, as well as the turret. Stuff like tools, etc spare tracks I paint and add later. Then once all assembled and decaled, then the weathering starts.
Now this is the total opposite of when I do cars. I pretty much have to paint parts first before assembly.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:32 PM UTC
I believe that some folks with good airbrushes and excellent airbrushing skills can actually paint most to the tank after it's been assembled. I guess they have special tips that can hit fine detail, reach through crevices and around strange angles that one cannot hit with a straight paintbrush.

I have never seen anyone airbrush paint a tank after it's been built but I sure would like to see that demonstration. It may give me enough incentive to open up my wallet and get an airbrush.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

believe that some folks with good airbrushes and excellent airbrushing skills can actually paint most to the tank after it's been assembled. I guess they have special tips that can hit fine detail, reach through crevices and around strange angles that one cannot hit with a straight paintbrush.

I do paint them after everything is already glued on. It does take some skill with the airbrush but not that much.

I just painted a tiger with the tracks and wheels together, the first step was to paint it all black, I then painted the inside of the wheels, careful not to paint the rubber part of the wheels. I then painted the tracks, with the help of an piece of paper to keep from overspraying the wheels it came out alright.
SturmNdrang
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the feedback. I am so enamored with the finish that I get with my airbrush (iwata hp-c) that I hate to revert to a brush. Sounds like it is time to roll up my sleeves and try a few different methods. BTW - there is a beautiful article about post-shading with an air-brush for weathering...(sorry for the competitor's link):
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/german/jbpaint/jbpaint.htm

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:36 AM UTC
Depending on the nature of the model sometimes it is easier to paint by construction stages - especially if it is a kit with a lot of open interior and small details to paint on the inside, ie; Sd Kfz 250 - 251, self-propelled guns with open compartments, etc. Sometimes parts can be painted while still on the sprue ( if no clean-up is neccessary).
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:05 PM UTC
I definitely agree that it is a personal preference. I build as much as the kit as I can. Some times the building is done in sub assemblies. Then I airbrush the "large" areas and save the detail painting for last. I usually leave off spare track and hand tools to be painted seperately and install them later. But as others have mentioned, it is vehicle dependent. Each kit is looked at individually and rarely do I build 2 kits the same way.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC
I am with Plasticbattle on this one

I build it all then paint... just seems to work better for me...

On this one.. the only things that were not attached were the side skirts and tracks.... before paint.

Later-
Nelson
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Another thing I have noticed is that when you paint the whole thing together, contrasting colors sort of blend in just like the real thing, when I paint wheels, tracks and hull separate they look too clean, sort of like out of place.

just try it out and compare!!
 _GOTOTOP