Pine trees for dummies
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 06:09 PM UTC
hi guys

i need info and probably a good source of pine trees. I'm going to built pine trees foe my ardennes offensive campaign.

beside pine trees, are there any other type of trees that i can build to represent the ardennes forest??

thanks
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 08:56 PM UTC
Here ya go!

http://www.trevinocircle.com/sippin/

I have tried this method and it works like a charm. I will be posting pics when I get the netting (out of stock right now) and have some completed trees to show off.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here ya go!

http://www.trevinocircle.com/sippin/

I have tried this method and it works like a charm. I will be posting pics when I get the netting (out of stock right now) and have some completed trees to show off.

wow...this is really amazing!!! thanks steve for the usefull link. i owe u drink man...

docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi all

excellent idea fro making trees, one question what is the material the broom is made from??

cheers

keith forsyth
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:38 PM UTC
Docdios if I'm not mistaken the material is from coconut husks. Pretty hardy stuff.

Silantra, I working on another idea for pines. Remember the small pine trees I gave you, that works well for young trees. For the bigger ones, well I bought some pine looking branches from the SSR home deco place you mentioned some time back. Just drill some holes in a natural twig and add the branches. Let me know if your'e want some.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Docdios if I'm not mistaken the material is from coconut husks. Pretty hardy stuff.

Silantra, I working on another idea for pines. Remember the small pine trees I gave you, that works well for young trees. For the bigger ones, well I bought some pine looking branches from the SSR home deco place you mentioned some time back. Just drill some holes in a natural twig and add the branches. Let me know if your'e want some.

Beachbum,

yeah...i still remember that small trees..
you know, i been trying to get to SSF Home DEcor since last August but i havent got the chance yet.. what a shame..
that's kind of u to offer me (again) the trees. yes i would love to have it and might as well try this broom method. last night i try with to do small pine tree with this method. At 12.45 am i think the result quite promising. I'd better check on it again this evening.........
till then beachbum........
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

beside palm trees, are there any other type of trees that i can build to represent the ardennes forest??

I think you could 'build' any other type of tree to go in a Ardennes diorama, but definitly not a palm tree. Now a photo of a palm tree in the Ardennes would be even better than a photo of a Ferdinand in the Ardennes.....(sorry )
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

beside palm trees, are there any other type of trees that i can build to represent the ardennes forest??

I think you could 'build' any other type of tree to go in a Ardennes diorama, but definitly not a palm tree. Now a photo of a palm tree in the Ardennes would be even better than a photo of a Ferdinand in the Ardennes.....(sorry )

ops...that's a typo
it should be written pine not palm

ahahaha :-)
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
If you want to build nice pine trees check out my website http://www.users.skynet.be/modelbouwsite The idea of making the trees was found in a flower store when is saw the asperagus for the first time. If you need a translation because my site is only in dutch i will send it with pleasure.
You find the article in the top screen under "tips" and then "naaldbomen maken"

Have fun Roel
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be posting pics when I get the netting (out of stock right now)

The trees are great and look simple to do but I cant figure out what is that netting material made of...What's it's purpose? to add more branches? Maybe we could use some scotch-brite steel wool instead !? I think that selkirk's thing is a bit dificult to get here in portugal

ò/ Francisco
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC
I made some of my own pines after reading an article in Military in Scale about two years ago. Judging by RoelGeutjens pictures it looks like basicly the same idea. Get some long wooden dowels, shape them to a point, scrape them with a rasp to give it some bark. Then drill a series of small hole all around the trunk. Go to the craft store and look for a material call Pine Boughs (not sure of the spelling) These look like big pine limbs. you then cut off small pieces and insert them in the holes you drilled. Paint to your liking. you can check my gallery for some pics of the trees I did. Good luck.
feelpanzer
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
hello,

I made a diorama with snow once with pine trees in the ardennes
de basic was a pointed piece of balsa wood with texture in it, also drilled holes around and put in some
pieces of asparagus green (latin name) sprayed green, than spray glue over the sperated pieces and do some snow powder over it after 2 hours you can put in the balsa.

feel free to visit the pics of the dio in my gallery.

feelpanzer
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
Is this tree-making 'asperagus' from the same asperagus vegetable that (some) people like to eat ?
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC
An easy way to make convincing pines is to get a wooden dowel, taper it by sanding, and drill holes in along the length of it. Then go to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or whoever has dried flowers in your area and purchase some Caspia........

Glue the Caspia along the dowel and viola.........a tree is born.

Patrick
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this tree-making 'asperagus' from the same asperagus vegetable that (some) people like to eat ?

No -- it's really an asparagus fern. Hobby Lobby and other places sell it as "Plumosus." When you see it, you'll know it's the right stuff. Looks like little pine branches.
MarinMurdock
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want to build nice pine trees check out my website http://www.users.skynet.be/modelbouwsite The idea of making the trees was found in a flower store when is saw the asperagus for the first time. If you need a translation because my site is only in dutch i will send it with pleasure.
You find the article in the top screen under "tips" and then "naaldbomen maken"

Have fun Roel

Dude, I just used your Barbwire technique. Outstanding. I really likr the finnished product. Think I am going to go through alot of wire.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:35 PM UTC
Roel,

I just looked at your site and may I make a suggestion?

If you are putting tips on your site wich are not your own pictures then be a sport and give credit to the original maker

in this case: barb wire technique: by Marty from www.modelhut.com

I also have a lot of tips/references on my site but i always (try to) give credit to the person or website where I lifted the article.

This way you stay good friends with your fellow moddelers and are still helping with spreading the tips

sorry for rambling

[edit] ok not to this topic but the barb-wire article can be found here on Big A (https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/107
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are putting tips on your site wich are not your own pictures then be a sport and give credit to the original maker

in this case: barb wire technique: by Marty from www.modelhut.com

Ronny my friend, thank you for looking out for me.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
A fellow Armorama member by the name of Charles King had a great method for making Pine trees. It used to be on his website....but I see that its not on there anymore.....I thought that the article was on here somewhere as well....but apparently not.

Maybe if Charles comes by and sees this post, he may have the article squirreled away somewhere and will share it!!!!

Charles are you listening?????
HEERMAN
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
Great Trees, I will be making a bunch for myself.

Thanks
ED
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:48 PM UTC
I started a thread a few days ago tht has produced some exceptional tips.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/99800&page=1

The last post by Grumpyoldman has some really good ones. He's a great guy too!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A fellow Armorama member by the name of Charles King had a great method for making Pine trees. It used to be on his website....but I see that its not on there anymore....

I remember this article. Was the first and only method I have tried...
Involved lengths of dowel at the trunk thickness you require, cut and then dremelled along the length to give some texture after shaping a tip to each tree. Holes were then drilled matching the diameter of the main stem of said 'asparagus fern', trying to match the branch alignment of a real pine. It was painted as required. The asparagus fern was used, with pre selected branches for their shape, smallest at the top of course...Then a drop of PVA to the ends before inserting into drill holes.
Each tree will be unique due to the positioning of each bough...
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

beside pine trees, are there any other type of trees that i can build to represent the ardennes forest??

The easiest way to find out is to either use the images feature on Google, or check Corbis.com. Alot of the time these two sites will have a heckuva lot of pics you never saw before.

But to answer your question, it seems as if it was predominantly pine trees.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the great plug Sam......
I need all the postive press I can get.
But Zaudi and myself spent a day gallivanting around the LHS on his last trip to the states in April.

_GOTOTOP