_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Suggestion re. Ranks
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi Jim

I would like to make a suggestion re. the ranking system. My proposal is that certain posts carry more weight than the normal forum posts. These could include things like reviews or features. I think this may encourage more reviews and features.

Although I am sure you have heard this tons of times... I see there are no ranks for Naval and Airforce comissioned officers... any chance of these ranking tables appearing? I'm not asking for myself, as I happily have my feet on tera-firma, but I have noticed the recent increase in naval and aeronautical modellers and posts in the forums.

RR

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
Tarok -

I like your thinking and there is some great logic there. A response (like mine here) or a "Welcome to Armorama" though important doesn't obviously require the thought process that a review, reference/link help, or article does. I think most definitely that those deserve more "credit" (as does an "idea" like yours). I know this would cause/require a bunch of extra work for the Armorama staff, but I think that it warrants consideration. Also, as a former Air Force officer (though building armor, go figure), the including of those ranks would be nice. Ahhh, the memories!!

Blade48mrd
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 02:45 AM UTC
I totally agree.

Somebdoy going through the trouble of writing articles, providing reference photo's of certain areas, etc should get some recognition for their hard work.

But it has to remain simple and not create a hard bureaucratic burden on the staff.

Adding the airforce ranks would be a great idea. I do both armour and airplanes but would prefer an airforce ranking for myself as the making of planes got me into the hobby.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
You could make it in the form of what the genrman called Abzeichen. The had for example combat clasps which may vary in colour with the amount fo battles they encountered.....
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
This has come up in the staff forum...... not sure what/when Anything may happen..... But it's come up before.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
I would be quite difficult to judge what a post is worth. Besides, ranks are more for fun and really don't mean a lot in the overall scheme of things
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
Yeah i have to say i'm with Shermies on this
i think a Hello post is equally important
after all i came here from trying other sites because no one would say hello back!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:35 PM UTC
Kenaz, I know what you mean. I'm not trying to down play the value of an introduction post. The suggestion is that while "normal" posts get 1 point towards your rank, a review, feature or even submitting a new weblink gets, for example, 2 points or 5 points... something like that. It's basicallly just an incentive for more of these...

ps anyone noticed the new funky emoticon that has replaced Santa?
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 09:49 PM UTC
ah got ya o.k. mate wasnt sure what it was all about yes in that case i agree ! i can empathise with that
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 451 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 09:55 PM UTC
thats a really neat idea. i wonder how it could be determined what would get you more points? how does the system know what one is posting or the quality of the content? it cant be based on length of post, because i can ramble for ages and not say anything too important

i know we have special recognition for members that contribute above and beyond in the way of the forum member of the month, but if it can be done, ranks according to contributions could be cool, too.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 11:30 PM UTC
Babycakes,
I had thought of something along those lines... where depending on the "usefullness", i.e. the quality of the review, feature, etc submitted that the member submitting it has points (as a % of the original awarded) added or subtracted from the "bonus" points. But this has the potential to become a nightmare, also, what about decimals? Also, do you then say that for x amount of time (eg a month) after submission this is applied? Granted it will ultimately result in high quality reviews (after all, no one wants to be busted down a rank), but I think it will cause a huge amount of work and overhead for Jim.

steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
Yeah Rudi it would be quite a challenge
but is a great idea now i know what you mean (DURR sorry mate my mind is in neutral most of the time :-) )
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah Rudi it would be quite a challenge
but is a great idea now i know what you mean (DURR sorry mate my mind is in neutral most of the time :-) )

No problem Kenaz, know what you mean... these days I'm lucky to get my brain into 1st gear.... :-) :-) :-)
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
I agree with the post below. The hardest part is obtaining a measure-able post. A grading system would have to be developed based on wchich forum, content, # of pictures and lastly acuracy and use of the information posted in an OBJECTIVE manner.

Quoted Text

I would be quite difficult to judge what a post is worth. Besides, ranks are more for fun and really don't mean a lot in the overall scheme of things

_GOTOTOP