_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Permanent Floating Big 'A' SIG Table- Idea...
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Folks. In light of the problems encountered by our Very own Staff_Jim while trying to set up a Special Interest Group table at The Nationals last year, I would like to float a proposal. I believe that we have enough interested and dedicated members in this country (USA) & around the world to pull this off. What I am proposing is this:
Get a group of our more creative types to design an exhibit table for Armorama. It could include packets of photos, scans of the actual web pages, 'A-Guard' registration forms, Graphics, banners, and whatnot. Perhaps even a few T-shirts & caps for sale. After being designed & assembled, this would then be "held in reserve" for upcoming shows. When a show came to a town with sufficient Members willing to volunteer their time, the Package could be shipped(with lead time) to a volunteer, who would then be responsible for hosting it (at the highest levels of Big A professionalism) at the aformentioned show. Fees could be paid by the volunteers or by a 'Promotional fund' set up on the website(Takes Money To Make Money!). At the close of the show, the Package would be forwarded to the next upcoming event.
Members would be encouraged (but not required) to add their own personal touches to the display:
For instance, Jim Lewis and Dave Willette could exhibit Guntruck builds & info, Steve Sherman could give a resin casting demo, Dave Savard could showoff his Gundam bashing techniques, Rob Gronovius could show off his traveling modeling kit & Braille scale wonders. Etc., Etc.
I don't know of any other site or company that does this, but I do believe that it can be done- and that Armorama is the Community that can pull it off. Ultimately I'd love to see it happen in the UK, EU, Asia, Phillipines...anywhere that the true spirit of Big A cooperation holds sway.
I've volunteered to take up the gauntlet at the upcoming IPMS Richmond & Atlanta Nationals. As to the design, I'm basically a piece of non-creative garbage with a loathsome spotty...
(Sorry, segued into Python for a sec...)
So I'd need to have someone else take that up, but would be more thatn happy to assist in the logistics.

So, What do you think? Is this something we'd like to see happen or am I barking Mad?

Let's have some input, Shall we?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
I'd be willing to put time into this.

Vinnie
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Sure, why not. One question (I'm sure there will be others) that comes to mind is the size of the table(s). Some exhibit venues have limitations on space, probably so you have to buy a couple of spaces for a large display. I've done a few of these in the past, so if you need me for something around here (Mid-Michigan, ie: Flint/Saginaw/Midland/Bay City) count me in.

Art
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 11:38 AM UTC
Most shows that I have been to require you to "rent" the tables. They are usually an 8 foot table. Shipping costs will probably be an issue for some. Shipping can get expensive in some places. I think a custom table covering for an 8 foot table along with some printed promotional stuff, a few armorama items for sale and maybe a coffee mug or T-shirt for a raffle would be a good start. Just .02 cents to get the brain cells stirred up a bit.

I would be interested in my area if it doesn't conflict with my military schedule at the time.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC
Well, Thanks for the replies so far, gentlemen.

DISCLAIMER I am not a staff member, nor am I in any way affiliated with this Site, aside from my A-Guard membership. This is an Idea conceived by Myself, for the members, and the only recompense I may receive for carrying this idea to fruition is the satisfaction of a job well done.

Just thought I should make that clear...

Vinnie- Thanks for the offer, & I'd be interested to know what kind of help you'd like to contribute. I'm afraid I know very little about you aside from the fact that you're a Teacher(well,duh.), an outstanding modeler, and would make a great Soprano's extra
Do you have some graphic design/ drafting/ management skills that we could put t good use? Any & all help is appreciated, just trying to get an Idea of our strengths/weaknesses.

Art- I think Brent was able to answer your question better than me. As to your past participation, that's a fantastic asset! Any chance that you have some pictures and/or designs of displays you've hosted in the past? That would give us a good starting point. And, yes, If,no, WHEN we get this off the ground, I'm sure we'll look forward to having you set it up for us in that geographical area.

Brent-Thanks for the info! I see no reason not to start small, & (using your raffle Idea) letting proceeds from the display pay for expansion & maybe even shipping...even just enough to offset costs for a start...
Thanks for stirring the Brain cells, even 2 cents is 2cents more than I started with today!

O.K.-Anyone else? i know you're out there...I just need to know how to get you in on this. What can I do to make it attractive to more folks, aside from appealing to your notions of civic responsibility ?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC
I'll be interessted in this on our side of the pond. Skills I have include a charming personality (ok enough allready) but I do have a sense of humor and some photography skills. I might even finish a model or two to take o the show..... ( hope springs eternal.. :-) )

Cheers
Henk
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
Robert:
Sorry, no pix. What we purchased(about $700.00 in 1994) was a 3 piece horseshoe shaped expandable display, approx. 12' long by 7' high, with graphics panels that attached magnetically and 4 fixtures that attached to the top for lighting.

Art
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:39 AM UTC
A GREAT idea whose time has hopefully come. I will wait with anticipation to see if members here in the US and Canada really get behind it full force. The fact that we CAN apparently reserve a SIG table for IPMS Nats is a good sign.

Also for the people in the UK, Mal is working on a proposal with UK IPMS to basically make Armorama a virtual chapter. So in time maybe we will be putting on our OWN shows over there. Or at least attending the others as a chapter group.

I will support this goal however I can. For one I am going to work on basic things like table covers with our logo. And the tables are ussually of the 4' x 8' variety I think (at least here in the States).

Cheers,
Jim
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
I think thats a really good Idea Robert. But here in NZ We only have 2 maybe 3 shows a year and they are usually at opposite ends of the country. The best way for us down here to recruit members is through our local clubs.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
This is great, as Jim says I'm working on a proposal to start an IPMS branch of Armorama (waiting on their reply as we speak). This will give us a "home" at the IPMS Scale Modelworld show. This will need a table for the "branch" (chapter), or table covers. This branch stand could be used at other venues.
Mal
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
Will try to ask our local IPMS club here.

Quoted Text

Also for the people in the UK, Mal is working on a proposal with UK IPMS to basically make Armorama a virtual chapter. So in time maybe we will be putting on our OWN shows over there. Or at least attending the others as a chapter group.

What's a virtual chapter?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:45 PM UTC
It's basically a branch of IPMS that is an online club. I am not sure they have ever done anything remotely similar so we would be breaking new ground.

Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
Mal, as I said I don't mind giving time to this so please keep me appraised of progress with IPMS(UK) negotiations?

Vinnie
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
Ola Guys

We from the Dutch Section managed in the last 2 years to get tables on shows in Holland and Belgium.
We have had several tables on Twenot Events. This year we had for the second time a table on the KMK Scaleworld and on the same event we were asked by IPMS Holland if we would like to get a table there too.
For the Dutchspeaking it is all a bit easier I think as the distances are not that big and we manage to get a group of enthousiastic people to man the stand (usually some 10 people that are always there). On every event we have an Armorama Banner which we hang on the wall/ against the table or simply lay on the Table. The Banner often gets send accross Holland to another person when he lives the closest to an event.
LAst time on the IPMS Nationals in Holland Juul (Zerocool) brought a camo-net to put on the table that looked really cool.
Last year I started with a Promotional Flyer for Armorama... maybe it is time to revise that idea and finish it or making it different. I also made Name card and Businesscards in Armorama style. Those business cards were quite hot items and a lot of people took them. I Still have all those files on my PC ready to use.

_GOTOTOP