Hosted by Darren Baker
Group Build: Hummer
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
Ok guys, we have the thread started for the Group Build - Sherman, so lets get this one started for the HUMMERS. I believe pretty much it is going to be the Avenger, but the other Hummer kits are welcomed since the majority of the kits are the same.
My question is, I know its supposed to be out of the box, but we can all agree that at least the wheels are the worst part of the kit. Can we make an exception to the rule and at least let us that want to, replace the wheels!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:55 PM UTC
That wouldn't be fair since not everyone has ready access to AM Hummer tires. Besides, afterwards, it would be a fairly easy task to replace the tires after the group build. I could go along with building an Avenger, it is the only one I do not have on hand and I don't want to buy a kit that I already have at home.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
Your right about the tires. OK, well I guess when I get home tonight, its time to pull the box out. Ive been meaning to start it anyways and snap some pictures of it next to the MR Models cinversion set to show the differences.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC
I've got an Italeri M998 HMMWV 'Desrt Patrol' hummer. Would that qualify for the build?
OOB won't be a problem for me. I'll make my own tentrolls and camo net from scratch though... (the kit camo net looks like it was molded from a moldy piece of cheese! )

YodaMan
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC
I never build a hummer before... but I would if its for the group build!

P.S. vote for the hummer :-)
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 04:13 AM UTC
There's no reason why we cant do different builds

I just got mine in the mail today. I'll be building the TOW version.
I agree with sabot on the AM wheels, after plunking down quite a few bones at modelexpo, my modelling allowance is shot for a while.
Gonna start this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to it.
I took my digital to work today, and I'll get a bunch of pics of dirty and muddy trucks. I'll try to post on the armorama/msn site
John
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
Yoda,
I think we agree on any of the Italeri HUMMERS will do, espcecially since 99% of the kits are the same.
Timber,
Grab you a kit and join in.
Well hopefully, this weekend we can see some photo's of the started work. Who ever takes pics first, start a HUMMER group build album at the MSN photo album sight.

Happy Modeling #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC
I'm in for the Italeri Avenger. I have to go tonight and see if my local shop still has the kits. I support Sabot on the wheels. I'll add aftermarket wheels after the group build is complete.

If anyone out there has access to pictures of the Avenger system, I sure would be interested in some. I have Verlinden's book on the Hummer, Squadron/Signal Hummer in action as well as the Concord Publications "HMMWV Workhorse of the US Army". All three are good references but the Concord book has the better pictures for the Avenger system,.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 06:21 AM UTC
If you can find it for less than 4.50 USD, get it. Otherwise, go to
www.model-expo.com/datg
for awesome sale prices.
John
WAR-MACHINE
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:28 AM UTC
How much is the avenger usually?
If its cheap im in.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How much is the avenger usually?
If its cheap im in.

$15-16, the other Hummers are usually under $10 or $12 at most.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 09:47 AM UTC
Well dang, I paid $20.00 for my Italeri Avenger Hummer tonight. Oh well. I have some initial thoughts/complaints on the kit but I don't want to sound like a whiner. I will keep it short, the kit leaves a lot to be desired. If you guys want details, I will post them at your request.

At a minimum, I think we should reconsider the AM tire issue. My mind was changed after looking at the kit tires. They have pitiful detail and I can not find any photographs in my 3 references that show the tread pattern dictated in the kit. I just don't know if this kit will be satisfactory to me out of the box.

KentuckyRegs
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC
I'am in if I can build the 1/35th M998 Cargo/Troop carrier. Its the only one I currently have. It might be possible to get the Avenger at my local shop.

My Site about the Hummer/ Humvee
Military section will be online soon.
Humvee4x4.Net
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 10:21 PM UTC
Kentucky,
I think we agreed that any of the Itelari Hummers is ok for the group build. SO GO FOR IT!!!!!
UPDATE!!! Well I started last night on the Avenger. Here is my input.
I started with the turret first. First off, I am not going to paint the interior because IT LACKS AN INTERIOR! I will be placing the canopy cover on mine with tissue paper. Everything else went together pretty fast and without any seems. I built it in 5 sub-assemblies; main turret, left and right launcher, sights, and .50 gun. In the next day or two, I will try and take some pictures comparing it to the MR turret.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:09 AM UTC
I agree that any Italeri HUMMV should be OK. I have the TOW version which I had intended to build as the snazzed-up Recruiter version, but then it would not be OOB. Plus I've got to find chrome wheels for it The only other HUMMV kit I currently have is the Academy Ambulance. Guess I will need to get something from Model Expo. (:-)
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:12 AM UTC
I guess I am fast. I posted some pic of the Avenger turret. I also took some pics comparing the Italeri turret to the MR Models turret.

HUMMER
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
You arent kidding you're fast, The build starts on the 1st of October.....

You know they make medicines for your problem
John
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:23 AM UTC
The MR model has been started a while back and has been sitting on my desk with its first coat of paint. I didnt know we ha a start date, SORRY. I usually stay up late at night working on several porjects at the same time. Except for weekends, ITS PARTY TIME on the weekends. I will slow down!!! #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
Just kidding Epi, do as you wish, and have fun.

John
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:37 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Just wondering.. Will an Academy Humv qualify for this build?

I have access only to Academy stuff here, and had seen one at a dealer's, where I can get it for 25% discount. I'm close to finishing my A/C build project, and would like to get my hands on some simple Armor b4 I go on to my 1/35 Armor kits.

Oh, one more thing.. Any last date for this build?

I'll wait for your response...

Cheers, BP.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:24 PM UTC
I don't really see a problem with using A/M tyres if they improve the kit. This would give a nice across the board approach and allow the builders to compare the pros and cons. The Tankworkshop do two sets agressive pattern and snow chained ones, and i knos Mr. Models and several other MFG's also produce sets. If the kit tyres are rubbish, why not ditch them. Surely the cost factor can't be all that prohibitive? I might get involved, once I get my mental and emmotional helath levels restabalized.

Jack
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
Since i happen to have a hummer on hand, I"d like to join in.
Has a date for completion been set yet? and its oob right?
Just let me know i ll begin work right now, thanks

ponysoldier

The Horse The Gun The Man
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:14 AM UTC
Pony,
Join the club. I not sure, bit the start date is the 1st of October and I'm not sure of an end date. I all ready started mine and if you go to the MSM Armoram grops photos, the is an album for the HUMMER group build. Ant Italeri HUMMER is fine to work on.
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
Question, I have a hummer (Italeri) that is somewhat started, and a group build may get me motivated enough to finish. Here is my quandry, and it may disqualify me for oob. I took the weapons ring from the Desert Patrol Hummer and mounted it on the "Turtleback" (This was the Tow Kit) they were both oob from Italeri kits, but would this disqualify me?? I like the look of the armored Hummers with the fifty.....remeber that bit of film footage from Desert Storm where the Hummer was unleashing . 50 over the wall? That was my inspiration for this one.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
I don't see a problem, Jeff.
 _GOTOTOP