_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
User of the month award
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
I brought this up in the topic about Gary, but what does everyone think about awarding user of the month to him, and adding his name to the UOTM? Calling it the Garry Beebe Award?

I only thought about this after reading how much he has impacted alot of folks here.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 11:29 AM UTC
AJ,
I have something in mind along a similar thought.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Jim
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 04:55 PM UTC
I support awarding him user of the month.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 07:53 PM UTC
That would get my approval too. It would really mean something to get an award named after a guy that put so much into his hobby and this site.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC
Yeah I support this idea of changing UOM into Garry Beebe Award....

How about giving Garry the award too? He hasn't been UOM yet....

Martin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 10:06 PM UTC
I agree, Garry should get the award and it would be great to name it after him.
Mal
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:04 AM UTC
I agree that Garry deserves to have UOM. However to name UOM after him I think is wrong.

Without being rude or giving offence to anyone we are all moving on in life and when (hopefully not soon) another member passes away who has done a lot for the site what then are you going to name after him/her?

So an Armorama Roll of Honor clickable link to the side of the main page in the menu which takes you to another page but NO current awards named after the person.

I suggest an annual campaign named after him such as the flattop campaign but do not name UOM award after him please.

(b)EDIT(b)

I also wonder why UOM was never given to Garry when he was around to enjoy it but everyone is now clambering to award it to him now he is not here.

I do not mean to cause offence with these comments just pointing out the need to stop and think about it carefully before committing to anything.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Without being rude or giving offence to anyone we are all moving on in life and when (hopefully not soon) another member passes away who has done a lot for the site what then are you going to name after him/her?
So an Armorama Roll of Honor clickable link to the side of the main page in the menu which takes you to another page but NO current awards named after the person.
I suggest an annual campaign named after him such as the flattop campaign but do not name UOM award after him please.
I do not mean to cause offence with these comments just pointing out the need to stop and think about it carefully before committing to anything.

It's very easy to make a snap decision following current events whether happy or sad, without considering the longer term future.
Even though Cliff's ideas may not prove poular with some I think that they've been well thought out in advance of posting; and thorough consideration should be given to his suggestion of a Roll of Honour which in time could be used to remember all deceased members equally.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
I can see Mr. Roo's point about renaming the UOM. It's wondeful that there is such an effort to honor and remember him. Yet, this can spin out of control too.

I think that renaming the carrier campaign in his honor, maintaining his posts on the server with an added written memorial , and or using the banner Martin created is perfect and provides some decorum to our remembrance of him. I think Garry would have been most honored

If you feel that this isn't enough, then there is yet another route. I would suspect that there is some memorial set up for him in his home town. Perhaps you could contribute to it or drop a brief note to Mrs. Beebe and their young son. Let them both know how Garry touched your life. I plan to and I know a few others will as well. That legacy will certainly out-live anything that could be done here.

If you would like to do this, PM me and I can send you his address.

Best Wishes
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hmm yeah you've got a point there Cliff...I agree on that

Martin
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC
Yeah, cliffs point is kind of logical. But awarding him the award he deserves would be a good idea to me

Frank
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:10 PM UTC
I agree with cliff,
I think an annual campaign would be a better idea one that is held over the same period of time every year in honour of Garry.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
Cliff is 100% correct there.
and im sure no one will take offence to how he said that either because we all know what you meant mate.
Cheers
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:11 PM UTC
I have to agree withj more that Cliff says.. Its so much a matter of good will that no disagreement is luckily to appear. So a lot of members a lot of ideas, we can use the best of them . RIP GB
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:26 PM UTC
I surely agree on all said

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:42 PM UTC
I wholeheartedly agree with awarding the latest UOM to Garry - perhaps one of his closest friends could write a fitting tribute for the page.

I like the idea of an annual Easter campaign in Garry's honour.

Rowan

tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:01 AM UTC
I too have to agree with Cliff on this matter. To think about it logically, there are thousands of members in the Big A. What do we do for the next member that passes? I think the standard of starting a memorial list with the deceased name on it....along with a place to pay tribute to them would however be an excellent idea.
Mary ...We All Miis You Garry...
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 05:32 PM UTC
After the initial shock of Gary's passing away, I've thought about it and I think Roo is right.
Without doubt a role of honour and an annual campaign in Gary's name are most worthy and fitting.

But as for naming the user of the month award this way, I think it should be left as it is.

I'm sure we will find the perfect way of expressing our respect and honouring our dear friend.

Peter
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC
I have to chime in and agree with Cliff.

We have two campaigns named in Garry's honor, and one dedicated to him, which I think is fantastic.

While I agree that Garry was a great asset to us all, I don't think his passing should be the motivation for making him UOM, especially when he was in the running for it last month and didn't get selected.

In spite of the good intentions, choosing Garry posthumously as UOM just doesn't seem the right way to honor him in my opinion.

I love the idea of having an Honor Roll for departed members though.

Just my .02

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:32 PM UTC
On wether Gary should get the UOM award or not, its easily resolved....put it to the vote.
Add Gary to the list of the nominees and let the people decide.

Its too delicate a subject to debate on and on.
I have no problems if Gary is awarded the UOM automatically either, but I think the vote will be to everyones satisfaction.

Peter
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 01:16 AM UTC
Known locally for always having my foot in my mouth I praise Cliff for saying something that I would've said and looked like a fool for doing so. Since Jim said he had an idea along the same idea (and I think I know what it is, but I'll let him spill it). That should be our focus, supporting what Jim has to offer, instead of arguing for something that we don't have all the options for.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP