LRDG
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 04:34 PM UTC
I was wondering where truckorama went.

Anyways, here's a LRDG I've done in the past 2 weeks.

Nothing fancy except for the resin wheels Dave Peacock donated (thanks again)

The mud flaps were cut-off and replaced with material from a soda can.

The chains where from Billings Boats parts and accessories from Tamiya.

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC
Mondo wow that looks great. Well built and I really like the affects of the paint through out. The drivers side front fender is really convincing. The detail work looks just as good, right down to the chain on the tailgate. Is there a chance of getting a little more info on the build
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
Now that is a really nice build, all the criticisms I've just posted on your jeep definitely don't apply here. In fact the base colour for this vehicle is the colour that the jeep should be!
I like some of the little touches, like the actual bedroll colour showing on the end of the rolls on the front wings - never even thought about that on mine!
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
Sorry, someone borrowed my camera for a week while I was building this and I couldn't get any buid photos.

It's painted in Model Master sand and the blue hue is from Tamiya acrylics white and blue.

The chains as mentioned are from Billings boats. It took me 30 min.s to install each side of the tail gate.

Then I made a mistake. If you open it you'll find the other chain is longer. That's why I kept it closed.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:28 PM UTC
very nice job even though in my opinion it is too weathered as the first thing they would do once back from patrol would be to paint it again with brushes as no vehicle was allowed to get to this stage of deteriation.

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I have a pic somewhere of a LRDG Chev similar to this one which was recovered from the desert within the last 5 or so years and it appears in better condition paintwise then this one.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:55 PM UTC
very nice..i like the weathering and how those rope/tie standout of the bedrolls and stuffs. the chain looks great. i think the tyres needs a little weathering. over all its an excellent build. thanks for sharing.
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
Mondo it's a very nice truck you got there! just three things I noticed:
1- The colors look too lively for a vehicle that has been such a long time in the sun;
2- There sould be more dirt (sand effects) and soot all over the vehicle;
3- I believe the LRDG didn't have acess to the small american machine guns (can't remember the caliber now).
Besides this it is a very nice build!
Cheers and happy modeling!
Prato
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

3- I believe the LRDG didn't have acess to the small american machine guns (can't remember the caliber now).

If you would care to read any of the 'Official' and 'Unoffocial' histories of the LRDG, it was one of the most unconventional military units ever. What it had, was an amazing capacity to 'requisition' equipment from any source imaginable. The .30 Cal was in British service, it had been supplied in large quantities on lend-lease.

I like the model a lot although, the only question is regarding the blue. Would that be correct on a LRDG vehicle?..Jim
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:18 PM UTC
Thanks y'all. Comments/criticisms are always welcome. It's another way to learn.

The wheels aren't really supposed to be weathered till I finish the groundwork on the base.

With regards to the degree of weathering, well I don't think we can really tell that each vehicle ended up the same way or was used in the same degree.

About the blue, well, I don't know much about it either.

What are those pipes portruding on the sides for? I've broken most of them while building it.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The mud flaps were cut-off and replaced with material from a soda can.

Way to go! I love such solutions and techniques much more than those fancy PE or resin sets!! Gives a great result!
I also like the blue/sand painting an all that detail you gave it. Is this a Tamiya kit? And I realy love the red/white blankets on the front fenders!!!!!

Only 2 things, and perhaps I'm wrong:
1) the left headlight looks to grey to me.
2) Those little things on the fenders are direction lights? In that case perhaps a bit orange or something? As I said, I asume this. Perhaps they painted them over if they don't use them. There's a lack of knowledge I have on these vehicles, you know...

But, once again: I think it's a great truck! Thumbs up!!

Paul
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Nicely done incredibly well executed. I did have to 'get over' the normal dirty dusty look of this subject that is the norm. I also like the camo addition.

What are the red dots on the front end of the two tarps on the fenders?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:00 AM UTC
nice, very nice, I just love those LRDG vehicles

I mostly agree with the earlier comments so I won't repeat them, but I must be honest and say that I do not like your tarps and bedrolls, they still look to plastic to me, sorry
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:18 AM UTC
Sup brotha,

Your work is very nice. The tarps are very convincing. But one thing i ask is to repaint the seats. They look like they were painted with testors "rust" color to make them look like leather? Well, thats just a small nitpick, and if your happy with your work, you dont have to do it. everything else looks great. Keep us posted with your next project!
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
You did a great job on this. I for one like the weathering and finish. The paint chips and subtle rust is very convincing. The seats do look like worn leather and I like the effect. Looking forward to seeing in on the Dio base.
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would care to read any of the 'Official' and 'Unoffocial' histories of the LRDG, it was one of the most unconventional military units ever. What it had, was an amazing capacity to 'requisition' equipment from any source imaginable. The .30 Cal was in British service, it had been supplied in large quantities on lend-lease.

Yes, of course I know that! But still I doubt they did get hold of the .30 Cal for the LRDG service! But again I might be wrong! Can somebody give us a hand here? Thanks in advance!
Cheers and happy modeling!

PS- Having said all I said doesn't mean I don't like the model! I really do! I just thougt these were points to have in mind!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
I think you did a very good job here. I agree with some of the comments here, I like the color of the base vehicle, I'm not crazy about the blue. I like the chains, I don't like the plastic tarps and rolls. I agree the .30 is probably very proper for the vehicle. Personally I like what you did with the seats. More than anything else I applaud the overall sense of detail you've done. You've put a great deal of work into it, and it shows. I can really relate to what you said about taking 30 minutes on the chains for the tail gate!

Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:01 AM UTC
Nice model mondo! I realy like your rendition of the disruptive camo scheme! Although I think that it is too much weathered in some areas (e.g front fenders) and in some areas there's hardly any weathering (e.g tires and sand mates on front fenders. Other than that i think it has very nice details such as the chains and even the .30 cal which I think is very posible as LRDG vehicles sometimes carried also its bigger brother: .50 cal aircraft pattern HMG .

Quoted Text

I like the model a lot although, the only question is regarding the blue. Would that be correct on a LRDG vehicle?..Jim

As for the colors IMHO the blue is correct as LRDG commanders were given free hand on choosing the camo scheme and colors, and the painting itself was done in local and private paintshops. Also the sun had qiute an effect on the hue of the paint.
This site has some information on painting of the lrdg vehicles:
http://www.lrdg.de/main.htm

Cheers and happy modeling
Pedro
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi there. This is sa very nice looking model. Nice workmanship.

I have a small question not about this vehicle in particular. I don't know much about the history part and I've always wondered about these brittish paint shemes in the desert with these blue colors. Like the M3 HONEY. Wouldn't a blue color like that be out of place in a desert scenario?

Sorry if this question is silly, but I'm still trying to learn. Thanks guys.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Mondo....Nice LRDG vehicle I love this model ..it was one of my first 1/35 scale kits I ever made almost 30 years ago,... I like what you've done to it.. I noticed just a couple of things ..Why the red and white on the tarps on the fenders these were used to get the truck unstuck from the sand? As for the blue camo ..this has kinda been proven as wrong and should be more a greyish green color...But I do admit it does look good... Chains look good as well as the stowage ...I'd throw in some german gear or Jerry cans just to show what type of work these boys did far behind the lines.. All in all a super model ...I'd dust it up more though but this could wait till you've finished your base ..
Good job

Rick
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:53 PM UTC
Hisham

I think the blue is used to break the outline or silhouette of the vehicle. Imagine it standing on top of the sand dunes with the blue background of the sky. I could be wrong.

Richard Craig

The tarps on placed on the front I think are used to get the vehicle out of the sand. It has a diagonal white and red stripe on the inside. I pressumed it would show on the sides when rolled.

I also read somewhere that they never really where able to reproduce the actual camo colors used by the LRDG or something like that. Not so sure either.

Thanks again y'all.

nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
Nice paint scheme, I'd say it's now pretty much impossible to say how 'accurate' or otherwise the blue is, but it looks good.

I have the book Bearded Brigands, which is the diary and photographs of tpr Frank Jopling. Jopling was the unofficial 'official' photographer in T patrol.

None of the photographs of any of the trucks in S, T or R patrol have M1919 .30 cal Brownings. There are a couple of small photographs that show what might be M2 .50 cal in a twin mounting, but I think they are the air version with the light barrel and perforated cooling shroud.

Most of the weapons visible are either Lewis guns, some Vickers Ks, and Vickers water cooled models. THere are even some trucks that had Boys AT rifles. They are often covered with canvas covers, and reading the book, it appears that the weapons were always covered except when action was imminent. This was to keep out the sand.

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS> I have a pic somewhere of a LRDG Chev similar to this one which was recovered from the desert within the last 5 or so years and it appears in better condition paintwise then this one.

This vehicle is in the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth. I've seen it, & Cliff is right, after 50 years in the desert, the paintwork is still there, even the tyres were quite dark as I remember, though obviously hardened by the sun. I'd recommend a visit.
As regards the blue, I'm fine with this, this seems to have been a grey colour when applied, but bleached to a sky blue. It was a standard British colour anyway, cf Matilda IIs ( which I think has a grey sripe & a blue), so would be readily available.
As regards the US 30 calibre, this doesn't look quite right to me. Surprisingly enough, LRDG vehicle weren't that heavily armed, their role was more recce & observation than fighting, that role was more the SAS one. In the old film "Sea of Sand", I think one or two of the lorries have a Vickers on them, but that's the film industry so I don't know how accurate that would be.
I always assumed the rolls on the mudguards were heavy canvas for "unditching" rather than ticking bedrolls.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:20 PM UTC
The 'blue' colour used on the IWM's Matilda is probably a mistake. The real colour is something described as 'silver grey' and is more like the greeny 'Sky' colour used on the undersides of RAF aircraft.

Steve Zaloga's book for Osprey on modelling the M3 Stuart has a colour chip at the back of the book which shows the colour reasonably well.

See the Middle East section in this link

http://www.mafva.org/britishcamo1.asp

What this says about the use of blue by the LRDG is another matter.......
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As regards the US 30 calibre, this doesn't look quite right to me. Surprisingly enough, LRDG vehicle weren't that heavily armed, their role was more recce & observation than fighting, that role was more the SAS one. In the old film "Sea of Sand", I think one or two of the lorries have a Vickers on them, but that's the film industry so I don't know how accurate that would be.

I checked with some LRDG sites and as opposed to my earlier post I would say the .30 cal is not correct for the lrdg truck, but stil they have some heavy firepower like aircraft pattern .50 cal brownings. What you wrote only aplies to lrdg jeeps as thry were in fact very lightly armed in comparision to SAS jeeps. But LRGD trucks were armed with vickers k, vickers ko , lewis, boyes rifle, 50 cal brownings and even had bren MGs. Of course not all on one truck

Cheers
Pedro
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 09:25 AM UTC
Very nice, the chains on the back look very real, the weathering done inside of the vehicle looks nice as well, though it does seem to me that the treads of the wheels do seem a bit glossy

-shain
 _GOTOTOP