_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quick stiff vinyl track tip
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
Thought I would share a quick technique I have used for years to get stiff vinyl tracks to sag. I am working on an old Italeria T-34 and the tracks are a nightmare. I tried to glue them to the roadwheels with CA and failed three times. So I went old school. Drill a hole in the side of the hull where you want the tracks to lay against the tops of the roadwheels. Straighten a section of paperclip and stick it through the hole, over the tracks. Prop up the inside end of the paperclip with a chunk of sprue and CA the heck out of it. Once you put the upper hull on, with the fenders, you really have to look for the paperclips.

Granted, if you are going to take the model to a contest you will want to pitch the vinyl tracks and buy AM tracks. But, if you are building for a diorama or just for fun this tip might come in handy.

Shaun
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
Great Tip Shaun, I have one of these in my to build pile I will keep this in mind when I get building my T-34

thanks
Bruce
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi Shaun,

have you tried applying heat using a blow drier to the stiff track to soften it? Sometimes it works

Cheers
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Good to see an old trick still working......
Thanks for posting and reminding us of techniques used before the advent of 40 dollar after market tracks.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 07:47 PM UTC
That's a pretty neat and very cheap idea. I'll have to remember that one. Thanks.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:40 PM UTC
I prefer using a single long piece of wire rod through both sides of the hull - there's less chance of a shorter piece becoming un-glued, or bending under the strain of really tight tracks. Of course this usually only works with tanks. With some open open-top pzjagers and SP arty you may find the hole accidently going right through the fighting compartment :-) ! You can hide the visible ends of the wire rod with mud and heavy weathering.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:31 PM UTC
Thanks!, i knew about that trick but have never used it before, seeing it on the pics says to me its a good one to remember.

Mirko
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
great tip Shaun...I'm been using idividual links to get this efect for so long. MIght have to try this on one of my Tamiya KIng Tigers in lieu of getting the links for it
 _GOTOTOP