Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
:-) Boss Wolf, what more needs to be said, superb
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Great! Fantastic!! I've seen similar styles but never as well presented.My 10year old crept into my work shop tonight and asked if she could do a model,so I started her on a DML Kubelwagen.Next, we'll tackle trees together.It looks to be a perfect project for children as well as adults.We can put the kubel in a forest.Thanks Jock
Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
I love the wire tree. Great tip!! i tried this last night and in the space of about 30 minutes i ended up with a very good looking shrubb. I covered the wire skeleton with plaster and it worked well enough.

Cheers,
Paul
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
Thanks, guys !
Paul, I'm glad you gave it a try. My first tree looked ok, but I learned a lot from that experience and my second tree looked a lot better even. I hope other people give it a try as well. It's quite fun when you get the hang of it !
Jan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC

I notice the pics are gone !

No worry though , the whole story is in an article here : https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/135
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thank you Jan for this superb article!

I tried your method and was amazed to find out how is it really is, and how nice are the results.
My tree is almost ready an ill combine it in dio, my first one actually..

As some of the people already said here, the problem is the leaves.
I am really interested in those birch tree seeds but the problem is that I don't know which tree is it, because I'm from Israel and I'm not sure about the translation...

Another thing I want to ask is hoe do I use this method for creating shrubs?

Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC
Nice job. I don't know if my patience level is high enough to try this method just yet, but it's nice to know. As for the questions about leaves, I do something called shake and bake. Apply white glue where you want foliage. Then take whatever material you're using (lychen, moss, tea leaves, etc) and throw it and the tree in a plastic bag, shake and remove. I don't know if this would work with metal trees, but it works good with twigs/tree roots as a base.

Art
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 05:49 PM UTC
I can't see all of the pictures...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:18 AM UTC
Here is the feature
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/135
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
Here is an update about "how to create leaves?"..
I developed a method, based on some of the things people have already said here…

So it goes something like this:
Basically, the things you need are: a pair of scissors, a small container, the tree you have made, a handful of dry leaves (as dry as you can find) and glue spray.
Take the dry leaves and put them inside the container, (I used a regular disposable cup) and with the scissors cut them into very small pieces, as small as you can. Now take the tree and spray the glue on the areas you want to be covered with leaves. The trick is to spray from a short distance, because then, the glue becomes like foam and gives the tree a realistic volume. On that "glue foam" sprinkle the leaf pieces until it is covered.
That’s it! I think it looks very good, but if you aren’t satisfied you can always repeat the spraying and sprinkling part.

Pictures will be added soon

Good luck !
Belg1960
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
Jan, I tried your method last night and like the results of the tree I got but it did not wind up anywhere as tall and as heavy in stature as I would have thought. I was looking for about an 8" tree and started with twelve pieces at 20" long and they were .5 MM in thickness I even only used two fingers at the start since mine are pretty fat , the total height was only 6" and the trunk was only about a 1/4" thick, I will be going to the craft store today to get more wire I think it needs to be a little heavier? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Do you use aluminum, copper, or steel wire?Thanks Pat
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:30 PM UTC
Five year Bump!
Belg1960
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
Is Jan still a member here? I can't access his profile to see an email or send him a private message. Thanks Pat
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 241 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC
Belg1960

Short answer (from memory) is that Jan left a few years ago and used to drop in occasionally.

I have used his technique and I think it makes fantastic trees - I used magic sculpt instead of grout - which made the tree more expensive but then my excuse is that I was getting a feel for the putty. I think there is a photo somewhere in my gallery.

From memory I used copper telephone wire and the height of the tree is effected by how many twists and how "tight" they are, as well as the size of the initial loops. What you may be able to do with the one that you have started is to twist in some additional strands of wire - just overlap and twist for a couple of inches so it has some strength when covered with the trunk material. I did something similar to that when I came up short on a couple of branches.

Brian
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC
Yep, the pics are gone, but step by step is very useful, I'll have to try this method. Thanks for sharing it. milvehfan
Belg1960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, the pics are gone, but step by step is very useful, I'll have to try this method. Thanks for sharing it. milvehfan

There is a link at the top of the page to the whole how to with pictures of this thread. Pat
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hi Jan, I must be the only unlucky person on this site, all I see are 2 boxes (1 inside the the other) with a red cross inside, no pix whatsoever, could you please, or someone help as this this tree making seems so good, but I'd like to view it. Thank you.
Belg1960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan, I must be the only unlucky person on this site, all I see are 2 boxes (1 inside the the other) with a red cross inside, no pix whatsoever, could you please, or someone help as this this tree making seems so good, but I'd like to view it. Thank you.

Alec and anyone else here is the link to the article with pictures, https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/135 Pat
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
On YouTube there's this kind of spacey guy who makes absolutely great diorama objects and has very good videos showing how he does it. He has a 7 or more part tree making video and he goes through several types of scratch builds based on dowels and twisted wire as well as from other materials. He shows how to build evergreens, palm trees, bushes, shrubs and more. He has dozens of videos on every conceivable thing you could ever want in a diorama or vignette. I believe he may be more into sword and sorcery fantasy type stuff, but everything he does is capable of military diorama use. I think he's really worth checking out. He goes by the name of the Kamloopian and I posted about him in another thread. I really think he's worth mentioning again.

Here's a link to one of his tree making videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8U177-hOrM&feature=channel
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 07:07 PM UTC
Belg 1960 thank you for that.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
Oh yes, I'm still very much alive and kicking.
4 years ago I shelved my modeling gear to thoroughly renovate the large house we hought, an old nunnery. Only two more rooms to go and all is done. I already refurbished a large attic room into a modelers's paradise / computer game room. More details to make you all drool about that later
I hope to finish all work by x-mas and start modeling again about that time.
The good news: you can all perfectly master without me. I see great things on this website. Look forward to joining again
Uncle Jan
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC
Welcome back, Jan!
 _GOTOTOP