_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
a little advice for features
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC
i want to submit some of my stuff as features, and would lke a bit of advice on a few things. basically how can i make a feature in the first place i.e. somthing with text and thumbnails etc. i have microsoft word, and front page and excell, plus other bits and bobs, but as you can tell im not the most computer literate person, so is there an easy way to make a template maybe, that i could chop and change for each model? i should add i havent ever used any of the above things ever
cheers, phil
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:19 AM UTC
Phil - when you submit a "Feature" you should write the text up in say MS Word and place the text file and the associated photos in a ZIP file (XP compress folder) and submit it via the content submit process. If there are guidelines you want to pass on to the Editor place those in a text file as well and include it in the ZIP file. You don't need to worry about thumbnails and the like the Editor will produce those in the publishing process, form your supplied photos.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi Phil!

From my experience, doing a feature is quite simple...

First shoot the pictures (if needed), then write the text in a simple program (on my Mac it's SimpleText), put the whole in a file and "shake" it through a Zip program.

Then go to the "KitMaker Support Center" (click Submissions - submit a file) then register and send the Zipped file! A few days later you have a feature! It's Magic!

More infos here:
Contributing to the site

Jean-Luc
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
Less is Cool.
From my stand point I love it when I get straight text as a feature.
The way features are edited and posted with images we strip out just about everything done in MS Word and redo or do in HTML.

Now things that are nice to see are notes to editors on what you had in mind such as a special image tag or list or editing "thing". If your images are 'embedded' and refered to in the text, it's nice to have the reference number ON the image already, not just the image name.

I know the editors work pretty well with members to get things worked out.
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
i have already submitted one feature, it was a dalek i built, but it was it was only pictures, id like to try somthing a little more ambitious i.e. a little text and a few pics, as i say i am a complete amateur at this sort of thing, so i intend to start small, and who knows, i might rival flitzer!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
Phil, as Scott says don't worry about adding fancy text or anything like that, as it won't appear like it when published and again notes to the editor are good. If you don't have a picture editing program such as photo shop you could email them to me and I could have a look and get them ready for publishing. Do have a go, the editor will get in touch if there is a problem, but mostly there isn't much that the crew can't sort out. Having said that it is nice not to have to do to much work on submissions.
My very first article, Bf 110G-2, had the images embeded into the text and it took my hours to send it via email on dial up. I learnt after that. Pictures need to be pretty good, so if you are doing a build it is important to make sure you have good pics before moving on. This is partly why my online builds take so long, but it is no good having pictures that are to dark or to over exposed.
Go for it
Mal
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
... in fact Phil, you don't have a lot of work to do. The biggest part is done by the editors! They do the biggest job behind the screen

So I just wanted to say thanks to all the editors for getting the reviews online!

Jean-Luc
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
Just do your best to try to make the editors job a little easier by using spell check and grammer check.

When I send up a review, I send it up using the support center, noting in the text where I would like the photos to appear, by number and name, then send up a zipfile of the photos. (may not be the right way, but easiest for me to figure out) I name the zipfile the same as the review, except add "photos" to it.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
As Holdfast mentioned about adding text to images etc. Feel free to ask any of the editors. I know Danny and I both have the capabilties and I've seen others doing similar things too.

Don't let uncertainty slow you down, just ask.
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
i think this thread has answered all my questions (for now!) i have an idea to improve undercarridge legs on cheaper kits, i just need to take some pics, and then im on my way. thanks once again
phil
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:25 AM UTC
change of plan! im building a fw190 for the night fighter group build, i am also writing the build up with pics to send in as a full feature and at the minute its looking pretty nice! although after nearly an hour though ive yet to cut any thing off the sprues!
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Phil!

Don't forget to make some pictures while you are building your kit! Upload them and check them before on your computer! If the picture of the cockpit details you made are blurry and your fuselage halves are already glued together.. well...

The text is very important on a feature but the pics also! Take away all the unnecessary stuff laying around the kit that would distract from the main subject... But you can leave a tool you used for construction, or a bootle of paint in the background to show the brand you used.

The feature is based on the pictures! The text comes with it...

Jean-Luc
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:57 PM UTC
message understood jean-luc! i spent a couple of hours last sunday tidying up my workbench, its about 4feet by 11/2 feet, but i only had about 10 square inches clear space to work on! i spent some time yesterday looking through all the features that i felt were similar to what i would like to end up with, to get a feel of them. ive done an intro and brief history with a couple of pics in microsoft word up to now, and i might get to actually start building it today!
cheers,phil
P.S. why do i feel as if writing this feature is the same as building a kit?
 _GOTOTOP