Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Well, this is the Panzer Resin Models 1941 resin kit.
Link for in box review:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1027
Certainly not a shake and bake kit. A lot of grinding, fitting, and filling so far. Not to mention scratch-building.... :-)

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
OK Grumpy looks OK. Now why the scratch building? where and why did you need all the filling? Stop teasing us with only part of the story and one picture.

cheers
Cliff
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
Nice looking truck Dave. Sounds like you getting youre money's worth out of building it. Have any pics of what you scratchbuilt would like to see.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:00 PM UTC

looking pretty good so far Dave. The pictures, in the review, clearly show the need for filling and grinding.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
Dave, dosent even look like the crappy lookin kit in the review. This one's gonna be a real sweet kit when yer finished. What's it gonna be hauling?

kevin
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 10:13 PM UTC
The truck bed.... LOL... was was too thick, so easier to simply make a new one. Also did a new drive shaft. Disaster struck last night, snapped off one of the rear axles...... Had to drill out the stub.... lucky..... I had a section of 1/16 inch acrylic rod at work.

A few other scratched parts:
door handles
rain gutters
door hinges
fuel filler
stoage boxes under truck bed.

More photos coming.... they are on laptop..... and my USB on desk top seems to not like me today, so I can't get them here at the present time.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
OK, a quickie update.......
Cab, and chassis primed and undercoated. Still got a few tidbits to add to cargo bed.

and another teaser for Cliff........

What a set of headlights!!!!!

As for the load, the kit comes with a few boxes, so I'll toss them in the back, maybe a drum or two, nothing fancy. (cargo loads are a good way to sort out spares box, by the way). The cab, and chassis are basicly still split under the cab.... strange set up, so bottom is held up in photos with those two rod objects. (they are not part of the kit, nor will they be there when everything is finally glued together.)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC
Dave looking good. Just looking at the top picture it appears as though the cargo bed slopes towards the front. Is this a sagged chassis or just the way it is sitting there?

Are the grill bars seperate bars with a gap between or is the back of them filled in solid?

cheers
Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
Cliff the sag is due to age, can't help it..... LOL
:-) :-)
Actually the way the kit is molded, the rear chassis ends under the cab, and the forward part (in front of the doors) is basically a solid block, forward of this break. so right now it's simply placed together, and propped in place, with what ever was handy on the desk at the time. Hopefully once it's glued together it will get a little more level, with out too much shimming under the cab.
I searched the web, and came up with a few civilian trucks, and they all seem to have an ass high look....

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I searched the web, and came up with a few civilian trucks, and they all seem to have an ass high look....

Dave unloaded they did. But the Photo you posted shows the whole truck, cab included, in line but higher at the rear. If you look at the photo of your model the cab appears to slope down to the back and then the cargo bed slopes up from the middle giving a 'sagged' look.

I only mention this so you can be aware of it when you put the parts togeather permanently as there is nothing worse then almost finishing or totally finishing a nice model and find that it 'sags' in the middle. LOL been there done that! :-)

cheers
Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
I see what you are talking about Cliff.....
The chassis is not a complete straight piece.... it is split under the cab, basically where the firewall would be, and only propped up. So the front wheels are in reality supporting the front of the cab, the rear wheels are supporting everything aft of the firewall, and the little plastic tubes underneath trying to hold it up in a somewhat together fashion.
Why they chose to mold the chassis like this in beyond me, as it would have been just as easy, and cost the same to mold the chassis as a complete length chassis, the cab as a separate part. There is one tiny place in the front to glue, and a tiny little place on the rear of the cab for glue. I'll probably have to wedge in shims just to get enough surface area for the glue to hold it together!!!!....... :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:22 PM UTC
Tragedy Has Struck......!!!!
There I was last night, minding my own business, enjoying myself at work, spraying on the color coats for the cab. After I finished spraying, I cleaned the airbrush, and since it's a nightly set up and take down, I put the gear away, leaving the model sitting on a 55 gal drum top (my spray desk at work)........

AND THEN IT HAPPENED!!!!!! A massive thunderstorm passed through...... the rain came down like the hammers of hell....... and the roof leaks in certain areas....... now I'll give everyone a few minutes to think of which area would cause this tragedy.......

Times up.... yep... right above where the model was drying........... I now have a badly water stained cab......
splots all over it....... too bad the drops weren't smaller and in scale......SOooooooo tonight I get to strip the cab...... and start with another coat of primer......
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
Well, continuing right along despite several disasters, I managed to get the windows fitted, align the chassis and cab somewhat together, and build another rear body.

Still got a lot more work to do on it, but starting to shape up.
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
looking great despite the attempted sabotage, love these old trucks,

ron.
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hey this truck looks cute. Good job on headlights!

I'm sorry for the accident. I always put my models under a plastic box after painting just to protect the surface from the dust until it dries. This should have worked for you against raindrops...
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi Dave

The truck looks great!
Why did you change the rear body?

Dus
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hi Dus...
The first time I did the body, was simply because the original resin body was way TOO THICK.....
The second time, was because I liked the look better without the storage boxes under the sides. (The box cover photo didn't have them, but found photos of the body with and without them)
Jenny
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi sweety ,
I really love the truck , where is the back seat ? Or is that why you call the back bit a bed ? Seriously is this like the LRDG chevys like the Tamiya kit ? Also how do you get the headlights so shiny looking ?
Lots of love TGOMFCAPS .
(The Grumpy Old Man Fan Club And Party Society )
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:06 PM UTC
Grumps, I like it and I'm glad I read on before jumping on that "Saggy" look in that first pic.

Now, about this TGOMFCAPS ???
Do you promote this fan club personally or are you just the blushing target?
Why isn't there a MRFCAPS for MrRoo?
or a SPCA for Animal?

WHEN DOES MURPHY GET ONE!!!!!!!!

You Rock Grumps!
Cuhail
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
Murph.... first good to see you up- around and back in spirit...... at my age, I'm allowed to sag alittle.....
I can honestly say this kit has been a bear to align, and get a somewhat solid chassis. There are globs of 5 minute epoxy holding it together between the cab, and the chassis break. Fortunately it will be going on a base, and I really don't allow guest to pull out their IPMS dental mirrors in my house.

Jenny---- Yes, you are correct, the rear body is often called a bed.........
I believe the makers started with the Tamyia LRDG kit, and converted it to the original configuration of the closed cab. The kit is also available with the steering for the British/Australian right-hand drive, and dessert tires.

The headlights are really simply, you just use a very small rag, and polish....... :-)
Actually they are a product called MV Lens.... usually used by model-railroader for their engine lights, but come in many different sizes and colors.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why isn't there a MRFCAPS for MrRoo?

Cuhail

LOL there is but you have to be a lady to join and I don't think you count as one LOL. :-)

cheers
Cliff

PS> yes this is the same type of truck as the Tamiya LRDG truck Jenny and I am pretty sure that Grumpy has used clear lenses in the headlights as well.
Jenny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi again Dave ,
These MV lenses look great Grumpy . Now Mr Roo just ask Grumpy what I do to the likes of you . Dave when you polish it can you use a sports bra ? LOL :-) :-) :-)
Now I got you started again Underwire LOL :-) :-) :-)
Don't worry guys , I'm not mad , its just my & Daves little secret
Jenny :-)8
TGOMFCAPS membership now open
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
I'm actually blushing...... :-) :-)
richier
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:22 PM UTC
Yes , unlike the rest of you guys , I've been unfortunate enough to be in the passenger seat with Jenny , I think her personal tally behind the wheel of a car is 2 roos, 15 to 20 rabbits , a pair of mating foxes (what a way to go ) a unidentified grey thingy (possibly a wombat or family dog) ,2 snakes , a fencepost , numerous birds & a letterbox (my mums letterbox ) . One good thing though is if you are holding a bbq , just follow Jennys path of destruction . Did I say anything about blonde women drivers
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:02 PM UTC
I'm happy to report that I was not the "unidentified grey thing" although I have been occasionally called an "old bat"....

Wombats are on the worlds endangered list, and according to this picture are a little on the large size.....
like a fat rat---with a built in pouch---- although they are kind of cute....... :-)
 _GOTOTOP