_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Suggestion on FOTM, MOM, etc
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hi all! I've noticed that though Armorama has such a large number of members, the number of people voting for FOTM, MOM, and other competitions is very small. I myself have never voted on anything other than FOTM, mostly because I don't visit the Aircraft Forum much. How about making the FOTM, aircraft MOM, and armour MOM a permanent fixture of the homepage? Maybe they'll get more hits that way. Just a suggestion.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
Interesting idea. Maybe we could have a MOM forum? The various MOM could be accomodated within it?
At the moment though the Aircraft MOM works fine as is and I'm not sure there are enough regular entrants to justify this sort of coverage. The idea of the Aircraft MOM is simply to get more pictures of models into the gallery and to encourage the taking of better pictures. Although it is seen as a competition by some and the fact that voting takes place would seem to reinforce that theory, it really isn't.
Mal
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
Well, how 'bout for FOTM and the armour MOM? I've seen several posts that commented that there were very few people voting for FOTM.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe we could have a MOM forum?

I think this would work... I like the idea. I also noticed few people vote for MOM, but I agree with Mel - it isn't about winning but displaying the finished models. So, in a way it is different than Rivet Review forum and could be a separate forum...

What do you guys think?

Mario.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 04:55 PM UTC
It doesn't matter whether it's a competition or not. If it's on the homepage, it'll encourage people to vote, or at least to look, and might tempt newbies to that particular category of modelling, just like campaigns do. So isn't that a good thing?
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 05:37 PM UTC
This is for information only and not a comment on this thread one way or another... and it's not entirely an apples-to-apples comparision since people can look at the thread multiple times.

But in the 5 days since FOTM entries were posted there have been 242 views of that thread, and 78 votes cast....
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
I think that there are a lot of people entering their stuff with similar MOM or FOTM in the title and it gets all confusing. I swear I have seen some of the links a dozen times because I'm never sure if I've seen it before or if it's an older thread being moved up
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But in the 5 days since FOTM entries were posted there have been 242 views of that thread, and 78 votes cast....

How many hits did the Armorama site get in that period? Probably that would give a good comparison.

BTW, this is NOT a criticism of FOTM. I think it's working great. Just a suggestion to get more participation.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How many hits did the Armorama site get in that period? Probably that would give a good comparison.

BTW, this is NOT a criticism of FOTM. I think it's working great. Just a suggestion to get more participation.

Hmmm, I'll need to find that out. I'm not sure I have access to that info.

LOL, I see this as nothing but a heathly discussion, especially since I have asked other staff for their two cents (about changes, anaylsis etc.) now that we've had this going on for the last 10 months.

I suspect if any changes are made it won't be until the first of the year, if at all.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC
David:
The estimate from the webmaster is about 400,000 views from Nov. 1 to Nov. 7.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:43 PM UTC
So only about .5%-1% of the people are even looking at the FOTM thread. Can't we improve on that?
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So only about .5%-1% of the people are even looking at the FOTM thread. Can't we improve on that?

This seems like as good as thread as any to entertain additional ideas, so fire away!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 04:40 PM UTC
Right now all I can think of is the homepage idea, similar to what's been done with the 1/48 poll.
 _GOTOTOP