_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Any ideas for a 5th Anniversary event?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
I would definitely buy a sweatshirt, although the way natural gas prices appear to be heading maybe parkas would be a better idea.
The Nats are in KC in 2006 which is about as central as you can get. It is about 10 hours from me and I am going to try and make it. Maybe a decent show in central Ohio? We could get the the guys from Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Western Pennsylvania and maybe even some of those Illini...

Shaun
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
How about modifying the BIG-A shirts?

When in 2006 is Nats? if it during the mid to late cold season, I would advise a T-Shirt on the basis that within a couple of months people would be able to wear it all during the upcoming warm season. Vice Versa for sweaters.

I could possibly make the design made if need be. PM me to let me know.

Jeff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Is there anyway that some deal can be made with the sponsors on this site to have a big sale on for armorama members only and perhaps have some T shirt coupled with it to mark the 5th anniversary?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
A big BBQ at Kencelots House......or
A big BBQ at Pvt Parts House........or
A very small BBQ on my very small George Foreman grill in my very small apartment........ :-)
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:09 PM UTC
I´m agree with Jazza, it will be a good deal to involve people from around the world....
best regards
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
Yeah I'd buy a jacket and sweatshirt, heck it's cold in this part of town. How about a bumber sticker or even a ball cap. I'm sure many would wear them. The day of the anniversary how about an on-line toast. Can you imagine 10,000 members toasting
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 05:29 PM UTC
GIVE JIM A VACATION FOR ONCE IN HIS LIFE!!!!!!! :-)

Sorry rob had to do it. I think a line of clothing would be something I would buy, but I would like to see some of the members I've known for 3 years for once so its a hard call. I'll support us anyway ya decide. STUG
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:04 PM UTC
T-shirt and cap sound good.

Don't forget a banner.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:37 AM UTC
I'm not going to speak for RobG, but I think his original question went a great deal further than T-Shirts..Jim
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
My IPMS club is hosting a 2 day Regional in March of 2007. Pittsburgh isn't centrally located geographically but not bad by population on the East coast.
I can put it to the club to see about promoting it as an unofficial ArmoramA gathering.
Let me know what you think.
Craig
PS: Here's a link to the web site...
Regional
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
I vote for the BBQ at Dave's apartment :-)
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
I would be in for a meet at Nats in KC. And I would definitely buy a T-shirt/sweatshirt (I'm inclined to suggest a T-shirt simply because you can wear a long sleeve shirt underneath and then wear it during the winter as well).
Kyle
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
I am 2 hours south of Kansas City so I would definitely be in for something at the Nationals. I would also be interested in some exclusive 5th anniversary thongs..errr....I mean T-shirt or denim shirt :-)
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there anyway that some deal can be made with the sponsors on this site to have a big sale on for armorama members only

I like this idea, it would be a good way to celebrate the anniversary, but it would almost certainly be abused by people who would sign up to the site, claim their discounts on a load of things, and never visit Armorama again. Obviously we want to avoid this sort of thing. Saying something like 'This deal only applies to people who have been members for however long, or who are regulars on the site' would get round the problem, but this would just lead to argument over how long is long enough and who is a 'regular,' again something we want to avoid.

Just pointing out a flaw I noticed in what is otherwise a nice idea.

Dave
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
I would certainly like to meet some of you folks in person. The 2006 nationals would fit the bill for the US. Hats, shirts, sweatshirts, anything that will help ID Armorama members to others will certainly be a fine thing.

Perhaps there would be some way to set up a internet meeting, using something like MSN net meeting for example. Sites could be chosen around the world, UK, the continent, Oz, etc, and people could plan on meeting in a central location to hold, some place with high speed internet, and a computer, and people could come up to the computer to "meet" the others.

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saying something like 'This deal only applies to people who have been members for however long, or who are regulars on the site' would get round the problem, but this would just lead to argument over how long is long enough and who is a 'regular,' again something we want to avoid.

Dave

We could apply the same rule that is applied to members wanting to change their avatars and only make it eligible to members who have had over a 100 post however as i type this, i realise it could be opening up a can of worms.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is there anyway that some deal can be made with the sponsors on this site to have a big sale on for armorama members only

I like this idea, it would be a good way to celebrate the anniversary, but it would almost certainly be abused by people who would sign up to the site, claim their discounts on a load of things, and never visit Armorama again. Obviously we want to avoid this sort of thing. Saying something like 'This deal only applies to people who have been members for however long, or who are regulars on the site' would get round the problem, but this would just lead to argument over how long is long enough and who is a 'regular,' again something we want to avoid.

Dave

Excellent point Dave. Here's an idea on this one, how about using this "sale" idea as a way to build a membership drive to help the site? Sale only available to Armorama members, silver and gold? Possibly even give a tiered discount based on membership level, like say 10% for Silver and 15% for Gold members? This way it doesn't deal with posts but people who actively support this site. Maybe even do something for the people who are not supporting members (financially) as well, so as not to lock them out of anything but at the same time give them some motivation to help the site.

Just a thought...
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
Maybe members wo joined before an anounced date?
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
Again, this could lead to argument over what sort of date is reasonable, and could lead to some annoyance among people who joined a few days after the announced date.

Dave
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
I like Rodger's net meeting idea, too. Sort of like an Armorama version of the deal Dick Clark does on New Year's Eve. Get all the locations together online at the same time. That would be sweet. Way beyond my meager techno-talents but still something to consider.

Shaun
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
That's not a bad idea either, we could do something like a quarterly meeting or even look into the possibility of running a live chat room on a normal basis. Call them internet club meetings, people could post ideas for 'guest speakers' (staff and reviewers) to speak about or chat about. Have a Q&A thing and then afterwards a general bull session.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dave

Excellent point Dave. Here's an idea on this one, how about using this "sale" idea as a way to build a membership drive to help the site? Sale only available to Armorama members, silver and gold? Possibly even give a tiered discount based on membership level, like say 10% for Silver and 15% for Gold members? This way it doesn't deal with posts but people who actively support this site. Maybe even do something for the people who are not supporting members (financially) as well, so as not to lock them out of anything but at the same time give them some motivation to help the site.

Just a thought...

I think the tiered discount is an excellent idea. The site members that are not able to financially contribute still deserve to be recognized because their board contributions are still important even if they are not contributing financially.

Ultimately, we are all "equals" wether we can afford to provide financial support or not. Something to recognize financial contributors would be great but I sure don't expect anything. The "A" in my header is reward enough for me.

Sabot, I am great friends with the IPMS people in KC that are organizing the Nationals for 2006. I would be happy to talk to them if some coordination or anything is needed. Bob Kerr on this site is a good point of possible support/coordination as well. Let me know if I can help if it is decided to do some sort of reunion in KC at the IPMS Nats.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC
I think assembling at the 2006 IPMS/USA Nationals would be a great idea - makes it more attractive for me to attend - and it is centrally located (here in the US).

Perhaps we could setup a webcast of our gathering - to display here on site like the Nationals we covered a few years back. Maybe so can other gatherings like Armorama UK, etc...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC
I like the IPMS/USA Nationals idea and am giving it some serious thought. The addition of a cam as mentioned from Jim L. would be a nice touch.
 _GOTOTOP