_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What's the best paint for Armor models?
Boots
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi all,

I am new to this site and new to armor modeling, so I thought that I would get my feet wet by asking a question that I hope is rather simple. I know when someone asks the question “what is the best…” the answers received are subjective and based on the individual’s perspective who is providing the answer. But I would like to know what brand(s) of paint you folks use on your armor models. I use Gunze acrylics on aircraft models and was wondering if anyone else here uses them on armor subjects?

Is there one brand of paint that is generally considered to be better than the others for armor modeling or does it just boil down to whatever brand you like the best?

I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Kind Regards,
Don
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Don:
Welcome! I'll take a stab. I also like Gunze's quality in my aircraft building. I liked their acrylic properties and the variety of appropriate colors. Their lines in armor aren't as expansive. I still wanted to use acrylics so I've settled on Tamiya mostly. I have Gunze and enamels by Humbrol, Model Master and others. I find that I'm "used" to the dilution ratios and "scale effect" ratios I need when using Tamiya as my base coats.

Again, that's just a personal preference. I think you'll find armor very enjoyable. It helps you develop a different sort of "eye" when you revert back to an aircraft subject.

What I discovered is that buiding a/c gave me a good eye for painting, decals and overall presentation and balance. With armor (especially 1/35 scale), weathering and super detailing require a completely new set of skills. However, it's built lots of confidence in my scratchbuilding and detailing skills. Frankly, I'm not intimidated in the slightest to detail any aircraft. And the use of pigments/pastels can assist finishing aircraft too.

Roy
Boots
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
Thanks Roy. I think I may have to check into the Tamiya acrylics as I have noticed (and you pointed this out in your post) that Gunze doesn't seem to have the same depth in their paint line for armor modeling as they do for aircraft modeling. I like working with acrylics and I would like to stay with an acrylic based paint if possible. Has anyone ever used the Model Master line of acrylics? Do they have a pretty good range of colors for Allied and German WWII armor subjects?

Regards,
Don
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC
I use pre-dominantly Tamiya acrylics and have to say that they are a good range to use but they arent the most extensive. Some colours are available in the spray can range but not in the 50ml range. Tamiya's marketing strategy...go figure.

Overall i would recommend Tamiya as a good place to start but as you advance further, you will find yourself complementing the tamiya range with other brands.
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
There is a boat load of paints to choose from out there. More than likely, you will be limited to what your LHS carries-unless you order online. I too like Tamiya paints, but only to spray with, I find that it dries too quickly to brush paint with.
I primarily brush paint with Poly scale, and Model Master acrylics. Both have a wide range of accurate colors, and are durable paints.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
I always use Tamiya Acrylics for my armor models! I like the fact that it dries quickly, and it's easy to use with an airbrush. Also it doesn't smell as much as for instance humbrol enamels

Martin
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
I would go Tamiya acylics. They have a great selection of paint for whatever you model.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC
Welcome at Big A Don.

To answer your question, I prefer Tamiya as they're easier to find for me.
I gave a try to the Prince August range (equivalent to Vallejo and Model master) and was quite satisfied too but those paints often get my airbrush down. I guess this is due to the quality of the pigments inside. The finish is slightly satin and looks OK for most of the modern armor shades.

HTH
olivier
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
My advice would be to use what you are familiar with. You will find that over a period of time you have built up a knowledge base of what you can & can't do with your chosen paints, how to achieve the effects you want etc. I personally use only Humbrol. I have tried acrylics (Tamiya & GM), but have never really got on with them, they dry too fast for me, which makes mixing them awkward in my experience. Also I am paranoid about gumming up an expensive airbrush, but don't have any problems with waiting for the enamels to dry. Having said that, if you are used to acrylics & happy with them, I would definitely NOT recommend using my choice of paint. All the models in the Tamiya catalogue will have been painted with their acrylics & they seem to be the choice of most modellers here.
But what do I know? I'm still riding a 34 year-old motorcycle!
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
What do people think of vallejo acrylics? They definetly have been getting rave reviews, and have a very extensive color line. Just something to consider...
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Don,
Firstly, welcome to Armorama. I hope you enjoy your stay here with us ,and hope to see some of your work.. Now, as far as paint goes, I use Tamyia acrylics predominantly. I have some Life Colour, Polly S and MM enamals. I have tried a few bottles of the MM acryl line and found them to be ok.. Use the white primer for some stuff.. Thin enough right from the bottle to air brush with..As you can see, I use a wide variety but if I had to pick, Id go with Tamyia.

Dave
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama..As it is all what you are most comfortable with..I have tried tamiya, mm and vallejo..I will stick with Vallejo..love em. They also come in a great eyedrop style container
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 746 posts
Armorama: 389 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
well i am with the majority here i use Tamiya Acrylics all the time but i also use vallejo acrylics i like their squeeze bottle with the dropper very handy.

redleg
Boots
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
WOW thanks a bunch folks! You have all provided me (and others I am sure) with some really great info here. Considering the amount of people who responded with Tamiya as their choice, I think I might give their acrylics a go on my first armour piece (Dragons 1/35 Sherman Firefly Ic).

Thanks again all, not only for your answer to my question but for making me feel welcome here as well.

Kind Regards,
Don
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
Tamiya and Model Master Acrylics.
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
I use different brands depending on how I plan on applying them. For airbrushing, i find Tamiya mixed with their thinner to be the easiest to use. Tip drying is less of a problem with this combination, so I'm able to do detail work easier than with some other acrylic paints. For brush painting, however, Tamiya is easily the worst of the readily available acrylics. I'd say don't even bother! For brushing, my favorite is Vallejo followed by Polly Scale. Both brush infinitely better than Tamiya.
Much can be taken from the comments about becoming familiar with a specific line of paints, particularly in terms of airbrushing. I imagine if I were to tinker more extensively with types of thinners and ratios, I'd probably find Vallejo and Polly Scale to be just as easy to airbrush as Tamiya. But with the latter, I have easy availability (LHS) and I already know what I am doing with them, so I tend to stick with them.
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
How can I be the ONLY one who uses LifeColor here ???

Not being funny at all but just wondering if anybody has tried this "modeling secrect"...have you seen Frank Edet recent work ?

So, not trying to convert anybody but I I liked them AFTER I tried all the others. I have just recently changed over from V'lg and Tamiya to LifeColor, I did this as soon as I had tried them.

I understand it is easy to stop looking when you do choose a paint range you like,, but I was wondering IF you had tried them and why you did not change to them BUT only if you have tried them.. Anybody ??

AJ.
 _GOTOTOP