_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Modern Armor Subjects Campaign
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Time to dust off those abrams, challenger kits from your stash cause you are going to need it in this campaign. There are quite a lot of WWII style campaigns out there so i figured it would be a nice change to have those impressive armor showcased in this campaign.

The campaign description are as follows:

Quoted Text

Operational Overview
Overview: In honour of those serving in the war on terror and a dedication to all things armored and used in modern day warfare.

Conventional warefare has forced many countries to constantly improve the amount of armor on all vehicles without compromising performance and efficiency.

Types of Armor:
There are several kinds of armour. The most common is called passive armour, comprised of layers of battle steel, alloys and ceramics. One of the best types of passive armour is the British-developed Chobham armour, which is comprised of spaced ceramic blocks contained by a resin fabric matrix between layers of conventional armour. A form of Chobham armour is encased in depleted uranium on the massively protected M1A1 Abrams MBT.

Nearly every tank designed since World War II has been designed with sloped armour surfaces, usually in front. The purpose of this is to deflect projectiles off the angled surface. A notable application of sloped armour during WWII is with the Soviet T-34. German tank crews were said to be horrified to find that shots fired at T-34s would sometimes simply bounce off. In addition and more importantly than simply increasing the possibility of deflecting a projectile, sloping the armour also has the effect of requiring the penetrator to travel a greater distance through the armour than it would if the armour was perpendicular to the trajectory of the projectile: i.e., sloping the armour increases the effective thickness of the armour from most angles.

Another common design feature among tanks is to use spaced armour, characterised by empty space between armour layers. This was first introduced in WWI and became especially common in WWII, as the technique was especially good at defeating shaped charge warheads that do not depend on kinetic energy for effectiveness. Some common types of spaced armour include slat armour, screens, or solid sheets attached outside the main armour of the tank, or alternatively an extra layer inside the main armour face. Some spaced armour design keep fuel in the space, instead of air. The increasingly commonly seen "RPG" screens can be thought of as a common example of spaced armour.

Another major type of armour is reactive armour, which involves the armour "exploding" out towards the incoming round and diverting it. Reactive armour is most effective against shaped charge weapons while passive armour tends to be better against kinetic energy penetrators. Reactive armour tends to be attached to the outside of an MBT in small, replaceable units rather than being permanently incorporated into its main body. Secondary passive armour may also be attached to a tank, but this is not common.

Let's show everyone on Armorama how much armor has progressed in modern times!

The Rules and Regs
Please construct any modern armor that is used by any county in this day and age. For example: Abrams, Challenger etc. There are no restrictions on the kit-maker so feel free to use all kits at your disposal. Single models or dioramas are all welcome but the only restriction is to build tanks that are often used after the 1970s. Armors used in ODS and OIF are examples of these. M113s are included in this seeing they are used frequently in modern warfare.

In Summary:

- ENJOY yourself
- Models can be OOTB or scratch built.
- Minimum of one photo of your build, 3 maximum.
- Both wheel and track vehicles are included in this campaign.
- Starting the model on the start date is encouraged but not a criteria.
- Provide a short description on what methods were used in the construction. ( From construction to weathering techniques)
- Add a short history of the model being constructed.

Contest Element
Only one award per person per campaign. You are welcome to submit multiple submissions but only one award per person once again.

This campaign also partly celebrates Armorama reaching 10,000 registered members.

The most important criteria of this campaign is that you must share your methods of how the kit was constructed in either bullet points or a detailed description.

Quoted Text

Single models or dioramas are all welcome but the only restriction is to build tanks that are often used after the 1970s. Armors used in ODS and OIF are examples of these. M113s are included in this seeing they are used frequently in modern warfare.

This means you are going to have to leave those shermans and tigers in their boxes. Amphibious vehicles will be assessed on a case by case basis. If you have any doubts, send me the description of the model with a brief overview on its role in modern warfare and will decide from there.

Other than that, the campaign will run for 6 months so as to account for the holiday season and the odd few lazy period.

Quoted Text

This campaign also partly celebrates Armorama reaching 10,000 registered members.

Its not like we really need a reason to have a group build but lets celebrate staff jim's effort by showing him how alive and well this hobby really is.

p/s: There will be a ribbon given out on this campaign, which looks like this:

Jeremy
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 10:24 AM UTC
Jeremy

This sounds like one i could go for.It all depends on the timming of all these new camps. coming out.

Jim
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 04:07 PM UTC
Count me in. A lot are still waiting in my stash !
Just waiting to know the start date now.

olivier
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 04:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in. A lot are still waiting in my stash !
Just waiting to know the start date now.

olivier

The start date is 1st Jan 2006 and we already have more than 10 people enlisted in the campaign so it does look like its going to fly.
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 05:09 PM UTC
great!
I have the Italeri M60 Blazer (magach 6a actually), academy's idf M-113 and Legend's Merkava Mk.2D conversion.

now I just have to choose...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
Ok, I'm in,
I've got more than a little modern armor sitting around.
Not sure what will catch and keep my attention long enough, but I'll find something,

Mike
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
I´m in! I also believe that a Modern Armor Campaign it´s a nice change in focus......now I have to decide what to build..... :-) :-)
Best regards
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
Jeremy, sounds like a good plan you've got there.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
How about Modern 'First - Timers' .. A campaign to allow those of us who are Mod-Virgins, to do something OOB... Particularly thinking of those of us who want to do some of that nice lookin' stuff which is on the way ...Jim
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:32 AM UTC
I'm in, Here's to a good campaign
Cheers
Joker
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
Sounds good to me.

I would like to enter an FV432 (currently in frantic scratch build). Probably the most "seen" if not "noticed" AFV in service with the British Army.

I have bought many sheets of flat, plastic card and some round, and square plastic rod and I'm building an FV423.

The emoticons are roughly in sequence: Apart from the ... Another (natural) sequence.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
Count me in on this one also.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC
As for me, ive got M2A2 and a British Challenger that i purchased a month ago so thats going into the campaign efforts.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 02:58 PM UTC
I can choose between a chally 2 and an abrams, so I will be in aswell
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 10:32 PM UTC
I should be able to scrounge up a Cr 2
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:05 AM UTC
How does one go about signing up to this campaign?
It will be my first campaign and as I like modern armor I might aswell give it a go-can we use kits we have already built or do we have to show progress, also do dio's count is they are focused around AFV's?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How does one go about signing up to this campaign?
It will be my first campaign and as I like modern armor I might aswell give it a go-can we use kits we have already built or do we have to show progress, also do dio's count is they are focused around AFV's?

You can enlist for it here.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=107

Would be nice to show your progress but its not a must. Im trying not to impose too much criteria as it does have a negative impact on FUN.

Normally campaigns have a time span of a couple of months as its assumed members would build it during the running of the campaign but its perfectly acceptable if you wish to use pre-build kits.
13M201182
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Sounds like it'll be fun!! I'm in LAV 25, M2A2 ODS, MLRS, what to choose from!!!!!!!!!!

Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
I'm in for sure, since my stash consists of only modern stuff.

Cheers
Erik
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in for sure, since my stash consists of only modern stuff.

Cheers
Erik

Same
regards
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 03:22 PM UTC
Dear Jazza
Thanks finaly i will used some boxes from my stash
Warrior MCV BTR 70 etc,
Go modern Go
The choice will be crucial
cheers
seb
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:40 PM UTC
Wow judging by the response so far, im almost keen to see what everyone has decided to contribute to this campaign. At this stage, im still leaning towards to the Challenger but that M2A2 looks rather appealing so im still deciding.

gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC
I'm in for a chally or a warrior
Scipio
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
Sounds like fun, I'm in for a ATF Dingo 1 in 1/72.
 _GOTOTOP