_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Show your age
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:59 AM UTC

This may not be quite the right forum for this but it is loosely based on modelling. I don't think it's junk drawer anyway.

Something I've thought before and was reminded about this week due to two posts I saw, is I think it would be a good idea if peoples age is shown on our posts along with the rank, number of posts, where you're from etc that is already there.

The reason for this is one member this week put up a post asking a modelling question. Another member responded by criticising the authors spelling for being bad, it was done in an unfriendly manner and NO mention was made of modelling at all.
This is totally wrong in the first place, no personal criticism should be made and it turned out the author was young and still at school. An adult would have handled it in their own way but a young person could be hurt and upset by "A" hole comments like that.

The other post was a very nice Dio. Nice work done. The first responses was that the camo was wrong on the vehicle and a soldier, the wrong Mk of tank for the year of the battle depicted.

All this is fine and accepted by most of us if we want to be historically correct. This turned out to be another young member who could only say "Hey, I'm only 14" This lad put a lot of work into something that he may not have known had god knows what camo scheme but was very proud of it, and rightly so.

What I'm saying is that if a persons age is shown a better more measured reponse could be posted and more carefully.

What do you guys think?

All the best

Vic

P.S. I'm not having a go at anyone in my second example, just highlighting a potential problem.

However, my first example is a different matter.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
Saw the same thread you are refering to Vic.. I agree that a response or two could have been presented a bit better.. But on the other hand, if you post something, you should be prepared to take a few licks if it isnt right.. I dont know where the magic line is...

On the age thing, do they have a picture of dirt for me.. Cuz these last few eeks I feel older then dirt... :-) :-)

Dave
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
I see your point and it makes since. Not sure everyone will go for it though. I saw the second post you were talking about and agree the poor kid got picked apart. I did think it was cool that some members stood up for him and hopefully encouraged him to continue.

Cheers,
Salvo
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
I think it's a good idea! But it would of course have to be voluntary. I don't think it's about being prepared for critisism, we treat people differently according to their age, and most of the time this is appropriate. I hate it when people treat me like an old fart, 'cos I'm only 22. (In my warped imagination).

Vinnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Vic - I agree with your sentiments. However, I don't think posting the member's age will help much in the end.

I think everyone should just remember and practice the Golden Rule - treat others as you would have them treat you.

Gunnie
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
The thing about posting is that many times a person's real feelings do not come across in their posts. They may be misconstrued as being cross, flippant or outright rude, when actually the poster was really well meaning. Additionally, how one perceives what is said is very subjective. What you may think is perfectly fine, I might think is over the top.

Personally, no matter if I know your age or not, I'm not going to knowingly disrespect you. That is simply what I learned as a child and have carried over into adulthood. And I must say that this is one of the very few forums I have ever been a member of where the vast majority of people are helpful, encouraging and positive, even in situations where they might not neccessarily have to have been.

And since you brought it up, I'm an old fart at 51. My grandson makes me feel like I'm 5 and my job makes me feel like I'm 100. :-)
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think everyone should just remember and practice the Golden Rule - treat others as you would have them treat you.

Excellent Advice!

And of course the second Golden Rule:
If you don’t have something good to say, don’t bother saying it.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
These are all very valid comments, it is important that as modellers of age and experience that we always seek to nurture and encourage the younger modellers, because in the age of Playstations, PCs and all of the other ready entertainment there is a danger that younger modellers will not partake of what is a fantastic hobby.
Then once put off they will talk to others of the same age who might not then join Armorama and enhance the community with their youth and spirit. I was always taught when learning to instruct that constructive critisism is positive, but put wrongly can provoke a very negative response.

Anyway my view as ever and I echo the thoughts of others that we respect other members of the community, as if I have any place to talk having only been a member for a few short months. However the most posts that I have made elswhere have only numbered less than 10, so this must be a welcoming site.

John
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
I saw that thread too. Interesting idea Vic. As it was pointed out, it would have to be voluntery (dont know if I spelt this right)

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:32 AM UTC
Not a bad idea...simply to keep young ones from being blasted accidentally...not that any given adult who tries but happens to get it wrong in someone elses eyes needs to get blasted either...my two cents for what it's worth in your neck of the woods. One has to remember though, when asking for critism, that it comes both ways...good and bad.

An easy fix would be to toss it in the "user signature" area...the youngs ones would be easily recognized and the rest of us old farts can laugh at each others age. I'd be in the later of those groups of course....
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:34 AM UTC
I'd have no problem with having my age put on my posts - ancient at 49 and happy with it!!

I feel though that the best advice is that given above - treat others etc.........
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
Here, here Gunnie.

Whilst I don't mind letting everybody know I'm 40, I still think it should be underlined here that everything here on Armorma is voluntary and based upon camaraderie. This is not an english language only site and there are many that cross language barriers to get a point across, which evidently can lead to less than perfect english.

I didn't read the threads in question, but have seen and been subject to the same type of treatment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there are many ways of putting it.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
This I believe is 'bigger' than just age. But - I'll stay on topic.

This is a two way street.
One direction I think that people who critique others work should take into account is: that they are talking to a stranger and need to be sensative to the way thier words on paper(screen) may be missunderstood.
The second direction, the person posting thier work needs to realize that there will always be someone better than they are and if you ask for an opinion you will get one and it may not be what you were expecting.

I agreen with GunTrucks Golden Rule.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
I like showing the age idea.it would help me tweak the help/communication I could give or suggest.It should be volountary to the member though.BTW,read both those posts used as examples.Absolutly cracked up at the 14 year olds reply.LOL!Go get 'em kid!
Yeah a photo of fossilized,extinct creature could be my signiture.........
cheers!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:57 AM UTC

Thurs nae need ta gie onybudee a hard tyme ....we aye c'n be but abitty guid whem wi tak tae ain annither----it casts nithin tae be poleite
Whilst sum craters can furgit wha thir spiking tae ---its beholdin tae yays-abutt a comin sense in a that go's arrooon on this hame frae hame---wir a femuly here so cut oot a this bickerin an git back tae bein wha wee ar.
As fur ages ---yur only as auld as ye feel --but sum on here are beyon thir yeers---me em 63 and am waitin for Goddird--wha er he is
Bae polit and thas an end tae it
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
I think its a great idea but ultimately there is really no excuse to be rude to anyone regardless of age.

I can see the visibility of the age working both ways however. Constant mocking to those of us who have entered the senior citizens category and some correlation to memory loss. :-)

I'd be in support of this idea if it ever came down to a petition.
Vic
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC

Hi all,

Thanks for the great response and all are good and valid points.
The age thing would have to be voluntary I agree.

I'm 47 and I teach mostly males ranging from 16 to 21.
and from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. (Listed in no partiular order :-) )
It's quite enlightening just how differently you have to treat some individuals for all sorts of reasons. Age, Nationality, ability etc.

I agree if you post you must accept feedback, that's how we all learn, it's just with a bit more info we might hit the target more accurately.

As has been said though, and many times, Armorama is a fantastic and helpful place to be, I love it. (Even though it's not spelt as I would spell it :-) )

Vic

P.S. Thanks who ever moved this thread to the right place
Vic
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thurs nae need ta gie onybudee a hard tyme ....we aye c'n be but abitty guid whem wi tak tae ain annither----it casts nithin tae be poleite
Whilst sum craters can furgit wha thir spiking tae ---its beholdin tae yays-abutt a comin sense in a that go's arrooon on this hame frae hame---wir a femuly here so cut oot a this bickerin an git back tae bein wha wee ar.
As fur ages ---yur only as auld as ye feel --but sum on here are beyon thir yeers---me em 63 and am waitin for Goddird--wha er he is
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

Jeeeeze, now that is a hell of a language :-)
I bet Babblefish can't handle that.

I meant to say, there's some great humour here as always.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:10 AM UTC
Great, lets all dawg on the younger members. Congratulations, you guys will now know that you are older and better then us!
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:13 AM UTC
Some good thoughts being brought out. Personally, I don't have a problem admitting I added another year last week and reached (which gets harder each year) the "double nickel" at 55. Everyone, at any age deserves respect and fair treatment. Though it is through trail and error as well as "constructive" criticism that we learn and improve, too much emphasis on the negative will only produce negative results. This site and the terrific people that are associated with it are, for the far greater portion, about helping each other grow, learn and improve in our modeling. I do definitely support the others in stressing the "Golden Rule" as it is always the prudent way to go. Another I believe in is, "Praise in public, Chastise in private". Now if someone will just hand me my cane, I'll get down off my soap box.

Blade48mrd
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

Fit? Spik Sassenach, Mon!
WindSword70
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:18 AM UTC
Wouldn't bother me to show my age--as long as I don't have to act it! :-)
Henk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great, lets all dawg on the younger members. Congratulations, you guys will now know that you are older and better then us!

Better? Not neccessarily...
Wiser? Definitely...

The glasshouse seems to have plenty of bricks left...

Cheers
Henk
Vic
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speak of the devil and he will appear!!!

I know you didn't get the saying used last time so :-

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL - "is a very common expression heard when a person who has been under discussion suddenly puts in an appearance. It's an American variation of a British proverb dating back at least to the seventeenth century
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As has been said though, and many times, Armorama is a fantastic and helpful place to be, I love it. (Even though it's not spelt as I would spell it :-) )

Vic

P.S. Thanks who ever moved this thread to the right place

Your welcome... and feel free to spell it www.armourama.co.uk as well. :-)

Darn...it's not forwarding. I will have to take a look at that.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP