_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fast Attack Vehicle
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
AEFdid make a SEAL DPV. I have it. I strongly DO NOT recommend it because the parts were warped, gouged, inaccurate, broken, or had runs. It's OOP and AEF said that they want to redo it, but so far have not.

Here it is.

The only AEF parts I used are the body, seats, and tires (nice tires!). I used shocks, engine, gun, bumper, scratchbuilt rollbars, and other extras from a 1/25 car kit to save the AEF kit from the trash bin. (Yeah, that bad)

GummiShip
Visit this Community
Baranya, Hungary
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys!

I wanna build a FAV from the Desert Storm period,and make a little scud hunters dio. I mean this 3 man variation. I allredy checked www.armorama.com for details.
I found photos from a scratch build, but the photos are not enough for me to start. To this days i only painted figures, so help to started, plz gice links where i can find good pictures about the engine or from the suspension,frame. I allready checked on the internet, i found some pictures in combat, and a coule pictures from the 2 man variation....
So if possible plz send me some links or photos or Book Names.

Roland
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
not exactly what you want, but Hobbyfan made a sort-of DPV in resin:

http://www.jbwholesalers.com.au/reviews/hobbyfan/hf009.htm
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 05:33 AM UTC
Here's some M151 based Fast Attack Vehicles. Again, not quite what you're looking for, but they might make an easier conversion than trying to scratch. NOw if only DML had come out with its long promised never produced kit, we'd all be very happy campers!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
Chenowth FAVs were only used by the US Navy SEALs during ODS. Also, the Hobby Fan kit is of a Desert Partol Vehicle (DPV), not a FAV. The DPV differs by being slightly smaller, and does not have the 3rd, high mounted seat for the gunner up top. The earliest versions of DPVs were also missing the side stowage bins. The DPV was an earlier version and replaced by the FAV. FAVs were not used for long in ODS and were briefely brought back for the opening stages of OIF. They were quickly mothballed again since they use aircooled VW Bug engines and over-heated too easily in the extremely hot deserts of the Middle East. Cool vehicles though.

Chenowth DPV

Hobby Fan DPV (not a FAV)

Chenowth FAV

Unfortunately, there are no other models of them out there either. Dragon had announced in the mid-'90s that they were coming out with one, but it never materialized. I have seen some really great looking scratch-built ones though. I have plans to scratch one myself as well. Time will telll though, as it is way down on the to-do list.

Hope that clears it up some. Happy FAV modeling.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:59 AM UTC
Land Rovers and open-topped M998 Humvees were also used for SCUD hunting. The other alternative would be to use an expensive Land Rover variant either by Accurate Armor or MIG Productions although I am not sure if these Rover model styles were used in ODS...could be later.

The two-man FAV was used in ODS for brief periods, but due to lack of stowage space, didn't patrol as much.

spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The other alternative would be to use an expensive Land Rover variant either by Accurate Armor or MIG Productions although I am not sure if these Rover model styles were used in ODS...could be later.

AA's Wolf variant wasn't used in Gulf1, only for Op Telic. In Gulf1, the SAS & SBS used desert versions of the regular Defender model.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 02:32 PM UTC
Gunniship,
Slightly different from what your after, but check out the 'War Pigs' thread started in September by Red Hornet in the 'Modern USA' sub category.
In Armor click on 'Modern USA' then select page 10 from the numbers along the top.
good Luck
Tom
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
I may be wrong but im sure AEF designs used to make a 3 man FAV. Ive seen some pics of a model and someone said it was AEF. You might want to check that out.
GummiShip
Visit this Community
Baranya, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thx for the info guys, I think i will buy this aef design FAV......

Thx
GummiShip
Visit this Community
Baranya, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hey Can somebody give me a url where i can buy this kit, on the company website is nothing about this vehicle.
Maybe its out of production?:(((
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:14 AM UTC
Yes, the AEF SEAL DPV is out-of-production. You can email AEF to see if they can cast one for you if you REALLY want one (emphasis on REALLY).

The other option is the two-seater Hobby Fan FAV.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC
The Hobby fan one is nice-i think Gino said it was a DPV and not actually an FAV but still... It well cast and turns out into a prety nice model. It is a little complicated to build and the instructions are not too clear also it costs £90.00 which is very expensive for something small, I managed to get mine a bit cheaper-if you want one for a bit cheaper send me a message and i'll see what I can do.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
You could do a USMC M151 based Fast Attack Vehicle:

2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
Gino,

Just a quick correction.........The FAV is the 2 seater while the DPV is the three seater.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Navy/DPV/Default.htm
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino,

Just a quick correction.........The FAV is the 2 seater while the DPV is the three seater.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Navy/DPV/Default.htm

Nope, the above site has it backwards, kind of. The original FAV is the three seater (high mounted seat above engine) and the DPV was the earlier model with two seats. The problem is that the new vehicle that Chenowth is trying to sell the military is being called the DPV again, and is an updated FAV. Confusing, but true. The other problem is that the name is used interchangably, even in the Spec Ops comminity.

Chenowth website

Also, if you look on the Chenowth site, the Desert Patrol Vehicle and the Light Strike Vehicle are two different vehicles as well, not the same one as SpecialOperations.com labels it. Don't always trust what you read on websites, especially ones who are trying to sell stuff, not all do their homework.
kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:33 AM UTC
I hate to jump into the fray here with some useless information on the FAV, but some of the original Chenworth 2 seater FAVs were used by the 9th Infantry Division as TOW carriers. About eighty of these were ordered, but use was discontinued because of difficulty getting spare parts for a regular line units wear and tear on the vehicles. I know the 2/1battalion used these back in the early eighties while the Army used the 9th as a test bed for motorized infantry tactics. Here is a picture of one of the FAVs on Display at the Fort Lewis Museum. There is also an album with a walk around.

http://svsm.org/gallery/FAV/DSC00403

http://svsm.org/gallery/FAV

More information on the Motorized 9th ID

http://www.geocities.com/armorhistory/wheeled9thhttdmadness.htm
John-B
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
If it’s of any help, plans in 1/76 scale exist for the CHENOWTH LSV-360 4X4 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle via the Geoff Lacey Series, Plan No. A121. Contact:- 315A South Lane, New Malden, Surrey, KT3 5RR, UK. NB: Please enclose SAE if in UK or 2-4 International Reply Coupons for US to cover postage.

Regards, John-B
GummiShip
Visit this Community
Baranya, Hungary
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
HI Folks!

Thx for the many information...
I think i buy the Hobby Fan kit...
My last question is, can i paint this type of DPV to Black..????
I found photos only about Desert coloured DPv-s.?

Thx
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 04:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Folks!

Thx for the many information...
I think i buy the Hobby Fan kit...
My last question is, can i paint this type of DPV to Black..????
I found photos only about Desert coloured DPv-s.?

Thx

An old thread revived now that the 1/35 HobbyBoss FAV kit is available in plastic.

Yes, you can paint the two-seater Chenowth HobbyBoss FAV black instead of tan. Here are photos to a newer thread on the subject.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/264534&page=2&ord=1
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 01:06 PM UTC
Reviving this very old thread, now we have FAV kits:

* HobbyBoss Delta Force FAV (real FAV pictured here)
* HobbyBoss Land Rover U.S. Army Ranger SOF vehicle
* Accurate Armor SAS Long Line Light Strike Vehicle
* Airfix UK Coyote and Jackal
* Legends and Plus Models GMV HMMWV
* BlackDog Flyer 72
* BlackDog Mercedes G Wagen conversion
* BlackDog FMTV "Warpig"
* Azimut Panhard VPS and USMC IFAV (OOP)
* 1/48 Gaso.line resin modern FAVs

And I am sure there are others that I have missed...
 _GOTOTOP