_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Haunted Tank of GI Combat Comics
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
Im pretty sure any other old "dinosaur" like me would remember Sgt Jeb Stuart and his almost invincible haunted tank in the fabled comics of the 60's-70's. They had the M3 Stuart, then a M4A1 Sherman (which sometimes the artists draws into an M4 ) then theres the infamous composite tank that I think had the hull of a dead T-34. My question is there anyone out there who can provide the issue which had the specs drawing of that composite tank, its just in my wild imagination of maybe trying to make a model out of it....if you think Ive gone crazy

"Rick, fire at will!!!"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:54 AM UTC
Last year there was a thread on this very subject, lots of good information given.
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:11 AM UTC
Man, that was my favorite comic growing up! I tried a search for the thread from last year and couldn't find it. If anybody else finds it please post a link. Talk about a trip in the way back machine.
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:05 AM UTC
Yep, I remember The Haunted Tank with its crew of LT Jeb Stuart, Rick (gunner), Slim (driver). How di I remember. I cheated, I'm holding the Oct-Nov 1962 issue No. 96 of G.I. Combat, price new was 12 cents. And a few more stashed away.

Hey, let's not forget the other combat comics. for Example who remember's Sgt. Rock and Easy Company? Or how about the "Unklnwon Soldier'?
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
And let's not forget Nick Fury and his Howlin' Commandos.

Mike

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 01:01 PM UTC
iread smeplace that scale modeller had some sort of kit plans, ref the haunted tank, don't know which one tho......

reb
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
http://www.dcuguide.com/who.php?name=hauntedtank

http://www.dcuguide.com/chronology.php?name=hauntedtank

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000044515&tstart=0

hope this can help ya out some, i think the issues 150 thru 160 may have what ya want, but not sure, am basing this on covers of those issues...

reb
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:22 PM UTC
I certainly fondly remember G.I. Combat and The Haunted Tank from my misspent youth. I remember the M3, still my favorite tank, and the later M4, but not the composite tank you're asking about.

What I remember most about the series is, just like in Stephen Ambrose's books, every German tank was a Tiger, every anti-tank gun was an 88, nearly every soldier carried a MP38/40, normally called a Smiesser, and the "hyper shot" from the 37mm could penetrate any tiger at any range from any angle.

Good times!

muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I remember most about the series is, just like in Stephen Ambrose's books, every German tank was a Tiger, every anti-tank gun was an 88, nearly every soldier carried a MP38/40, normally called a Smiesser, and the "hyper shot" from the 37mm could penetrate any tiger at any range from any angle.

Good times!

and dont forget the Tigers turrets get blasted and sent flying off the hull too eh :-)

the comics also show that a tank can actually blow up a German messerschmit or stuka flying in the air with Jeb's .50 cal going "buda-buda buda!!!" with a follow up from Rick's cannon "BLAM!" :-) , these were times when the good guys actually win

clankety-clank-clank-clank!
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
A while back I came across a website where a guy did a series of Haunted Tank stories using photos of posed 1/6th figures,1/6th stuart tank etc, it was really well done, damned if I can find it again though.
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:06 AM UTC
After I got back into my hobby, armor, I kept thinking about the Haunted Tank. I saw a 54 or 90 mm figure of Jeb Stuart head bowed and holding his hat, thought of building a M3 Stuart flying down a road with Jeb standing on a rise behind and above the tank watching over it.

Speaking of mispent years I watch Vic Morrow(?) shoot up Tiger tanks with his Thompson sub-machine gun, those Germans could stand twenty abreast firing their Schmeisser machine pistols, MG 34's and 42's spitting out a hail of lead and Sarge gets nicked, but guns them all down. How many purple hearts did he get? One a week I think.

I read The Haunted Tank when I was in the US Army and don't remember the M4 only the M3.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:13 AM UTC
[quote] How many purple hearts did he get? One a week I think.

quote]

Also the rest of the squad. Can you remember very many episodes when at least one of them wasn't hit? They must have ran out of room on their purple heart awards for all the clusters they earned.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
....Howdy fellas,

Do ya think I remember any of these ol' comic's?......especially Sgt. Rock?...............and you fellas thought my avatar was a self portrait.....

And when it comes to Sgt. Saunders in 'Combat!! ', I still watch {or should I say, tape} episodes of this nifty little piece of TV Land....doe's anyone remember the eposide where Saunder's gets his arms burned? Or {just yesterday}, where he was crushed under a roof beam?.........Sgt. Saunder's rivaled even the great Sgt. Rock in some respects..

Tread.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
ya mean sgt rock wasn't modeled after him?

reb
colo_artist
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:11 AM UTC
Yeah, those were great! Thanks for the reminder.

Here's issue number 1...

It's available! You can get it here for considerably more than 12 cents...
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5101

Here's another cool one...

http://www.toonopedia.com/hauntedt.htm

The online recreation in 1/6 scale is here...

http://207.254.40.20/photosm/photo603.html

It's an 18 part'er. A link to each part is a little way down on this page...
http://www.bigredmoon.com/customizers.html
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hey, let's not forget "The Losers" had CPT Storm (Navy), Lt. Cloud (USAAF), Gunner (USMC) and Sarge (US Army). Here's one Gi Combat I still have. It's Issue 96, oct-Nov 1962. Title was "The lonesome Tank"
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good times!

and dont forget the Tigers turrets get blasted and sent flying off the hull too eh :-)

the comics also show that a tank can actually blow up a German messerschmit or stuka flying in the air with Jeb's .50 cal going "buda-buda buda!!!" with a follow up from Rick's cannon "BLAM!" :-) , these were times when the good guys actually win

clankety-clank-clank-clank!

I remember one issue where they actually hand fired the main gun that was on the hybrid tank By that I mean they held it in their hands :-)
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:32 AM UTC
With regards to the Losers, I have an origins issue that shows both Gunner and Sarge were Marines, not one USMC and one US Army. No biggie, I just thought I'd point that out.
Also, as far as the Haunted Tank is concerned, you also need to remember the two loaders they've had. First was Arch, who was KIA and replaced by Gus, an African American. Later, Slim the driver was KIA and he was replaced by an old horse cavalryman Sgt., and the crew was finally brought up to 5 with the addition of the old Sgt.'s son. Just in case anybody might have been curious.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im pretty sure any other old "dinosaur" like me would remember Sgt Jeb Stuart and his almost invincible haunted tank in the fabled comics of the 60's-70's. They had the M3 Stuart... "Rick, fire at will!!!"

Didn't they use a Chafee M24 one year?

Neill
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
Tons of issues on ebay:
http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/G-I-Combat_Comics_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ63QQsatitleZGQ2eIQ2eQ20Combat

Good stuff. Loved the Combat! TV series. Remember The Rat Patrol?
http://www.bigredhair.com/movies/ratpatrol.html
I just read where the entire first season will be out on DVD on the 31st for around $40.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC
Oh man!! This thread brings back some great memories!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:47 AM UTC
Here's the Hunted Tank that looks alittle like a Chaffee turret on a T-34 chasis.

That clip is from G.I. Combat No. 151 Dec. 1971
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC
I'm going to try this once more.
Here goes
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:50 AM UTC
ARrgh you guys are going to make me go down to the basement and dig thru all my old comics now thanks :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) Cheers Kevin
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
Thats a good shot of the composite tank there Gary, and its camouflaged too! what issue number was this on? I believe the issue I was looking for is #158 entitled "What Price War?" and this is where gunner Rick abandons the crew for a sack of diamonds, last time I read that comic was in 1977 and I could barely remember it All I know is that there was a page after the story where Jeb shows out the specifications of their new tank which was made out of a T-34.

And speaking of COMBAT! yeah Sgt Saunders gets wounded everynow and then alright, but its that big dope "LIttle John" who always gets hit in his shoulders in every episode hes in, I bet theres already a ton of mausser bullets in that guys left arm alone! :-)
 _GOTOTOP