KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
Tanks for the memories....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
That site has always been one of my favorites. I've always been fond of the old Aurora kits. They were my first armor models. I still have many of them.
shado67
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 220 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
OK, I am sure someone has asked this already.......but what happened to the Aurora molds? Who ownes them and have they ever been re-ssiued?

I remeber as a kid they were a major brand and had a wide variety of kits.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I am sure someone has asked this already.......but what happened to the Aurora molds? Who ownes them and have they ever been re-ssiued?

I remeber as a kid they were a major brand and had a wide variety of kits.

Monogram Models, Inc. (now Revell-Monogram) took over the molds when Aurora went under. There was an infamous train wreck between Long Island, NY (where Aurora was) and Morton Grove, Illinois (where Monogram was). Many molds were damaged beyond repair. Other molds were scrapped for their metal value. Others were left to rot in the weather.

Some were reissued. The Aurora Panther G and M4A3E8 Sherman tank were packaged with a Monogram P-51D and FW-190 respectively along with a diorama base. These were the last two, and only, releases of former Aurora tank kits.

Many of Aurora's old kits are still circulating in Polar Lights/Aurora, Revell-Monogram and Revell packages. These are mainly the sci-fi, super hero and movie monster kits.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:29 AM UTC
1961----my first model an Aurora Patton tank. I don't have that particular one as I played with it for a couple of years until it had been broken and reglued so many times it was toatlly glue covered. I do have one now in the 48th scale collection as well as an old Stalin and Japanese medium tank. Of course I have a ton of the Bandai most of which I built in the mid 70's
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 747 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:10 AM UTC
If you ask me any 1/48th scale armor and figures & diorama accessories are nothing but model kits that go well with army men and O scale trains. Esp. if you happen have a WW2 troop train passenger cars and the right locomotive you could put any US armored vehicle or any other vehicle except motorcyles on the right flatcar and super glue them down and have correct detail(tie downs,chains,MPs,soldiers,etc) you'd have an actual moving diorama! Or you could get an O scale German WW2 loco and/or railroad cars you could have US armor,vehicles,and figs clashing, pushing back, and killing/destroying German armor,vehicles,and figs for another working dio with germans cramming into railcars to retreat. But to answer any Qs that may come up, no I don't have an O scale train set, even though I'd love to have both an N scale layout,a HO scale layout, and an O scale layout (With Lionel Stuff) to go with Model Military. Just my 2 cents
IdiotStick
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
Here we go again.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:33 AM UTC
Oh does that bring back memories. I'm like Steve rather than Robin, I didn't keep anything from those days. It got built, it got played with, it got destoyed, or it got thrown out when Mum or grandma cleanded my room.

I think I must have had them all. One I don't see here that I thought was Aurora, but it might have been Airfix, was a Sturmguchutz III. I think that was the first model kit I ever made by myself.

Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh does that bring back memories. I'm like Steve rather than Robin, I didn't keep anything from those days. It got built, it got played with, it got destoyed, or it got thrown out when Mum or grandma cleanded my room.

The only one I kept from my childhood was the MBT70. The rest did not survive the Great Sandbox Wars of the 1970s.

I had forgotten about Aurora kits until one day while stationed in Texas, my wife convinced me to stop at an antique store on the side of the highway. In the store there was an old box for the M109 for $5. I bought the box and inside was a complete M109 and MBT70 still unbuilt.

I've since found a builder's kit of the MBT70 and used it to rebuild my original MBT70. My original kit was badly build with tube glue. Many of the detail pieces were missing or broken. It was unpainted and most of the decals were gone, damaged or peeling. It looks OK now.
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
For the most part, they really weren't bad kits at all, were they?
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the most part, they really weren't bad kits at all, were they?

The Panther was a mixture of variants. The Patton tank in the square box showed an M48 on the boxtop but had the old M46 inside. Same deal with the Tiger.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Monogram Models, Inc. (now Revell-Monogram) took over the molds when Aurora went under. There was an infamous train wreck between Long Island, NY (where Aurora was) and Morton Grove, Illinois (where Monogram was). Many molds were damaged beyond repair. Other molds were scrapped for their metal value. Others were left to rot in the weather.

Did ALL the functional tools end up with Mono? I've got an AMT issued 1/48 B-26 kit from the late '70's that I'm sure is the old Aurora B-26B. The fits, features and generally poor research (6 bar invasion stripes)seems in line with Aurora's work.
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've since found a builder's kit of the MBT70 and used it to rebuild my original MBT70. My original kit was badly build with tube glue. Many of the detail pieces were missing or broken. It was unpainted and most of the decals were gone, damaged or peeling. It looks OK now.

Thanks to Major Rob's opinion of the old Aurora MBT70 (fairly accurate overall shapes, but no detail), I picked one up at a modeller's flea market, and after much modification and the addition of over 850 scratchbuilt parts, I ended up with this:

It's still not dead-on accurate, but it was as close as I could get!
I'm working on another Aurora MBT70 as we speak, which will be built straight OOB as a comparison piece to display with the one above. Thanks also goes to Major Rob for this build, too, as I got this kit via a trade with him!
Thanks, Major Rob!

An LHS has several other Aurora armor kits on the shelf...the Centurion, the Tiger, and the M109 SPG. Been thinking about snatching them up, but at 6,000 yen (about $50 USD) a pop, I think they're a bit overpriced. Said that, I did pay 5,000 yen ($42 USD) for the MBT70 you see above...but I really wanted that one!
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 04:33 PM UTC
Renewing another old thread - making up for lost time

In with my other Grail stuff was the Aurora Japanese Medium tank, which luckily only cost me £8. Worth it for the nostalgia, but possibly not for anything else. Specially if Tamiya bring one out. Glad I got it though.

Super MBT70 too!
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC
I've got both the Monogram and Aurora history books. They lay out the fate of most of the 1/48 scale armor kits. The Japanese tank is one of the Aurora kits that I never got. Just didn't get it for some reason.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 06:55 PM UTC
Looking at the Japanese tank in the box, it seems that Aurora started off with an oversized turret and made the hull wider to suit. Judging by pictures, this seems to have happened a few times with Aurora (check the Centurion).

My one come with a vac-formed base which I don't remember from the first time (which would be early 70s I suspect).

I think they may have looked at Aberdeen's one at some point since it has the same strips on the bow (as modelled by Airfix) which IIRC are for a dozer blade. The box artist also managed to copy the crab's claw hatch of the ordinary Type 97, even though the model gets it right. Innocent days.

Nearly forgot - some of the Polar Lights (=Aurora :-)) were reverse-engineered by making moulds from existing models.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC
Sure does bring back memories! I know that I had both the M4A3E8 as well as the JS III. And they got played with and broken and re-glued just like everyone else's and are LOOONG gone.

I was interested to notice the reference to an Honest John laucher but no picture available. I remember having a model of the old truck launched HoJo with a separate missle. Even had detachable plates to put on the arms to stabilize the truck on firing.

Does anyone else remember having that kit and was Aurora the only company to make that?

Tom
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:51 PM UTC
There were at least two more Honest Johns

One by Adams

And one wild stab by

Revell
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
I checked my stash and I've got an extra Aurora Long Tom if you're interested.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 06:31 AM UTC
I was lucky enough to obtain a few MBT-70 kits from ebay ... one kit I never had a chance to build back then.

All I remember is that they were my first introduction into armor modeling. I quickly moved on into Tamiya kits and never noticed the Aurora line had vanished!

Jeff
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There were at least two more Honest Johns

One by Adams

That's the ONE! I remember the box art!!!

Tom
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All I remember is that they were my first introduction into armor modeling. I quickly moved on into Tamiya kits and never noticed the Aurora line had vanished! Jeff

Wow, Jeff--my experience, too

Once again I enter a thread late, but here's my M-109 that I salvaged from a grab bag. I have had to do a lot of cleaning it up (glue splotches), but this is it with a shot of scratch-filling auto primer.

I intend to paint it in the MERC (is that what the elaborate 1970's camo was called?).

I'll post pix of my Chi-Ha, too, if anyone is interested.
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Panther was a mixture of variants. The Patton tank in the square box showed an M48 on the boxtop but had the old M46 inside. Same deal with the Tiger.

Right, but I mean they built up as decent little tank models once you get past things like that. There some Asian kits out today, with all the modern technology, which look more toylike than the Aurora tanks did.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once again I enter a thread late, but here's my M-109 that I salvaged from a grab bag. I have had to do a lot of cleaning it up (glue splotches), but this is it with a shot of scratch-filling auto primer.

Shouldn't the sprockets be at the front ?

I would like to see the Chi Ha photos very much, inspire me to get mine built.
 _GOTOTOP