_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting AFV's, enroll and volunteers please
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hi All

Brian (thedutchie) Broerse came up with an excellent idea, so let's get it rolling right here and now.

Proposed is to follow a similar format to the Figure Painting classes, as in a 'teacher' taking a particiular subject and running with it. I'll throw out a few ideas, see what you think and give me your thoughts and suggestions please.

I don't think we should run to many of these classes at the same time.. perhaps two or three, using different mediums. The idea being that people follow and 'copy' the teacher, which may be a bit much if there a multiple classes running at the same time.

Start at the beginning, with a basic class 'how to paint an AFV', focusing if you will on those basic questions like 'to prime or not to prime' and properly thinning paint. This would be a class to give the grounding needed to create the later effects. It is surprising how many people (including sometimes myself ) make such basic mistakes as not thinning the paint properly and complaining that they can't get a desired effect..

Next start with a class for the various paint effects, Plain OD or Dunkelgelb, Three tone camouflage, Mickey Mouse or Ambush... again, just the basics, leaving weathering to a later class..

Then follow with different classes for the various weathering techniques

And probably a class to show how to use Future and microsol and the like to apply Decals without silvering.

The reason I'm thinking about small classes about one technique at the time is that we can than add them all together as a 'Complete Guide to...' later, and it will be easier for people to find and use just what they neeed/want.

So, if you have any questions, suggestions or if you want to volunteer, drop me a PM or reply in this post please.

Thanks

Henk

Edit-
added suggestions

-One more thing I think might be helpfulfull would be to discuss any brands of paints used and their pros & cons.

# Whoever volunteers to br one of the teachers should make sure he has a good camera to show good clear pics about whatever step he's explaining.

#Also, he should approach this as if he is talking to someone who doesn't know anything at all about the subject, so he should explain every step and every term used.

-How about some video as well as pictures? Not talking studio quality, just simple short video's. Good example would be for thinning, show how the paint should flow once thinned properly. Would come across better in video format than static pictures I think.

Use a webcam, digital camera or video camera as long as it's video. If anyone needs help editing, I can help there since I can't teach how to paint. lol

-One word of advice I would like to give any would be leaders is TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

I found that when making my painting classes on the figure forum, the thing that people responded to most favorably was the number of pictures I included in my steps. A picture is worth 1000 words (a good picture that is).

Also, as someone had eluded to in this thread, make sure to explain your steps as if you were talking to someone who was brand new to the hobby. Don't think you will come across as patronizing. People appreciate simple, clear instructions.

I would be willing to demonstrate some oil painting techniques on armor. It would come later in the process of painting after laying down your base colors.

Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
Henk. Sounds like an excellent idea. I saw one of these somewhere before (Ah, as you say, probably in the figure painting section!) and it seemed very useful. However, is it a real time thing, where everyone would need to be logged on at the same time? Or would it roll over days?

Ross
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Henk, I think it's a good idea to break it down like you propose. That will probably make it easier to follow. Just 2 points:
# Whoever volunteers to br one of the teachers should make sure he has a good camera to show good clear pics about whatever step he's explaining.

#Also, he should approach this as if he is talking to someone who doesn't know anything at all about the subject, so he should explain every step and every term used.

Hopefully this will cover painting with different types of paints and different methods. Can someone achieve some type of shading with a brush and acrylic paint, for exanple? Stuff like that.

I look forward to the start of this.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Please enroll me, i need all the peinting help I can get. (++)
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
Sign me up please
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please enroll me, i need all the peinting help I can get. (++)

Apparently spelling too :-)
klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
I'm in.
I have been very hesitant to try and build any armor.
This is an excellent idea.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
I love this idea. I am always fighting with my painting, especially multi-tone cam patterns. Sign me up!
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:27 PM UTC
Excellent!

I have a few tanks being built and can do with some help on painting them. Please count me in.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:40 PM UTC
Excellent, I'm in!
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
Im also am in

Id like to suggest perhaps one class a week. That allows people who have other commitments time to play catch up

Cant wait for it to begin.

RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 746 posts
Armorama: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
sign me up

Looking forward to it!

redleg
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:39 PM UTC
Count me in as a student!

How about some video as well as pictures? Not talking studio quality, just simple short video's. Good example would be for thinning, show how the paint should flow once thinned properly. Would come across better in video format than static pictures I think.

Use a webcam, digital camera or video camera as long as it's video. If anyone needs help editing, I can help there since I can't teach how to paint. lol
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in from the figure forum!

One word of advice I would like to give any would be leaders is TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

I found that when making my painting classes on the figure forum, the thing that people responded to most favorably was the number of pictures I included in my steps. A picture is worth 1000 words (a good picture that is).

Also, as someone had eluded to in this thread, make sure to explain your steps as if you were talking to someone who was brand new to the hobby. Don't think you will come across as patronizing. People appreciate simple, clear instructions.

I would be willing to demonstrate some oil painting techniques on armor. It would come later in the process of painting after laying down your base colors.

Henk, once you have this idea organized, just let me know if you want me to participate.

I can show you some finished pics of the technique before hand so you can judge if it would be useful or not.

Good luck in getting this underway. It's a great idea!

John
shado67
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 220 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
I am in. Enroll me.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
I can be involved as both student and 'teacher'.

Frank
Nick61
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hi There

I'm in please my painting skills are very poor not helped by not actually finishing anything for TOOOO long. Agree about starting from scratch, I take this approach at work and it's worked OK so far. I shall hunt out a suitable contender.
Nick

Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
yes.i will join ,and vote for Frank[clanky44] as a teacher.that would be great .offcourse anybody that wants to teach has my vote,really want to learn how to do a good paintjob.

greetings jeroen,.
gckpa2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:58 AM UTC
I'm in, really looking forward to this!
grapejuice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
sign me up, I need all the help I can get.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
I'd like to sign up as well. Would the classes also cover airbrushing and hand brushing techniques, and the associated problems encountered and solutions for them?
Archerman
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
Sounds great!! It's just what I've been looking for.

Video of any sort would be very helpful. You can only learn so much about any phase of modeling from photos and books.

Please sign me up!!
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:51 AM UTC
Count me in even if I have to just watch!
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:11 AM UTC
Count me in...

Dave
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 08:11 AM UTC
I'm on board. I need all the help I can get. I'm so confused and don't know where to start when it comes to painting and such.
 _GOTOTOP