_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
a gripe 'bout the site
FragTank
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
is anyone on this site allowed to disagree with jim?

i posted my opinions on a magazine, jim disagreed, suggested i hadn't read it, later branded me ignorant and then it appears he locked the thread.

now, i can understand the opinions of those in the thread that did like the magazine, but i found jim's actions to be those of a bully, and i had the decency to actually say this in the thread.

i would have been interested to see if anyone actually agreed with my views of the magazine, but it seems my basic right to disagree with jim does not exist on this site, and to be honest i feel a little persecuted.

as far as i know i didn't breach site rules, but if jim's moderation is actually rule of law around here i shan't be staying, as i feel i did nothing wrong aside from going off topic when i was forced to defend myself.

if somethings gone wrong at my end and the thread is still open i apologise for my comments here.

this is feedback, not a whining session, and i hope it's actually at least read in the manner it''s intended even if it's not taken onboard.

peace out.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC
At the top of the page, under "Contact Us" is the better place to post your complaints.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At the top of the page, under "Contact Us" is the better place to post your complaints.

Agreed 100%, all that will happen by open posting a complaint like this is to start something up that is best handled by management.
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC
aah righty, didn't notice that 'contact us' thing, my apologies.

though to be honest, i'd contact you with the exact same content. i realise that griping about a staff member will get me nowhere so i offered my opinions as hopefully constructive feedback about an aspect of the site.

i don't feel like i can post here at armorama without fear of upsetting the mods if they disagree with me, and i don't want to be branded ignorant and accused of having an agenda in those instances so i shall be posting in other forums instead, using armorama for technical questions only that won't upset anyone.

great site aside from that though, i really appreciated it up till this point.

thanks for a mostly great site.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i posted my opinions on a magazine, jim disagreed, suggested i hadn't read it, later branded me ignorant and then it appears he locked the thread.

Appearances can be deceptive... Not only does Jim Rae not have the power to lock that thread, but in point of fact people disagree with him all the time.

Your situation however was lost from the start. It's so typical human nature of people to lash out at an easy target when they get their hand caught in the cookie jar.

4 or 5 people disagreed with you from the get go.... yet you simply want to latch on to Jim Rae's comments that your rant wasn't well founded. Well let me set you a bit straight... not only should a rant like that have simply been REMOVED from the site, but your coming here to whine about it is raising the notion that you are simply another old troll in disguise (having changed your screen-name once already). Jonathan Burgess perhaps? Oh well no matter. You will give yourself away in time.

This may just simply be a case of 12 year old-itus....but really... you better grow up dude.

THE
Jim
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:57 PM UTC
old troll what?

my real name is adam moore, my previous screen name was arnie 360 as it was my xbox live name.

check the forum i'm admin of for proof:

www.highcalibre.tk

i've never been a member of armorama previous to my arnie360 account, and i informed my local union jack forum i'd changed to my fragtank account.

i'd thank you not to make slanderous statements on the main site, as i'm pretty sure i've proved i am who i say i am.

thank you for building on jim's comments of my ignorance and the fact i apparetly lack decency by falsely accusing me of being past 'trolls'.

the administration of this site is terrible, i'm surprised you treat members like this for posting their opinions on a magazine.

edit: in fact i'm pretty angry now. the only example of 12 year old itis i found was jim ridiculing my grammar in an effort to win a debate. the video game forum i administrate has many young members, and most of them have behaved a damn site better than the admin here.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC
Adam.
As we are all faceless on this site, it takes some time to build a virtual "face" for each person.
Im sure from your own experiences you are well aware of Troll behavior, of how, and what happens. It can often lead to missconceptions.
Having read both the initial thread and this, it looks like a "whats what" of trolling.
Your intial comments on the MMI magazine does appear to be an attack rather than a considered and constructive opinion. You have then "gave way to" several of your intial points, getting defensive replacing them with suggestions of being bullied and in the face of nobody agreeing with you, you decided to open a new thread to start it all off again.
Discreetly informing you of the site guidelines and finally closing the thread, is good moderation. The fact that both the intial thread and this are still open, is proof enough for me of this site´s stance.
Everyone is allowed to disagree with Jim. What they say and how they say is covered by the guidelines that are applicable to us all.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Appearances can be deceptive... Not only does Jim Rae not have the power to lock that thread, but in point of fact people disagree with him all the time.

This is a VERY TRUE FACT...............................
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 03:33 PM UTC
I've disagreed with Jim a number of times, but we've always found it possible to agree to disagree. I've found myself getting angry, but I've always reacted to Jim's comments, not baited people.

The MMI thread was so "out there" in it's content and approach it deserved comment. As you moderate a forum with many young members, I'm sure you realised starting a thread in the way you did would surely cause reaction from people. And it seems from those who had seen the magazine that everyone disagreed with you
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 03:38 PM UTC
the initial thread is locked as i can't reply to it.

my comments might be 'out there' for the majority, so disagree as others in that thread did.

i don't see why i have to be labelled ignorant or without decency.

surely a thread with 100 posts disagreeing with me is better than one abusive PM?
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
[quote]

my comments might be 'out there' for the majority, so disagree as others in that thread did.

[quote]

I already did! thanks!
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 04:39 PM UTC
i know you did, and i'm not having a go at you.

sorry for that misunderstanding.

i'm sure most people would object to being labelled an ignorant 12 year old who lacks decency and then being told you're someone else, i am perhaps overly defensive now with normal members (a number of whom have PM'd me with support they are afraid to post in the open forum) when my gripe seems to be with the staff.

sorry rob.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:48 PM UTC
Adam,
Problems with authority figures? :-)

I don't know how old you actually are but perhaps you should say and just make that part clear.

As for both topic in question you should try to see them from the opposite side of the fence.

In your post on Model Military International you seem to think it's going to be some kind of shill for Tamiya's 1/48 scale armor marketing efforts. The problem with your rant is that Tamiya does not OWN that magazine. They have nothing to do with it (or about as much to do with it as FSM). You are associating a publisher (ADH Publishing) with it's various publications (TMMI, MMi) and making the assumption that just because Tamiya's logo is on one of them that they own the mags... they don't. If you want to make an assumption and evaluation of a magazine on reading one issue in which you *perceive* that they are going to be covering nothing but Tamiya or 1/48 scale Tamiya products... well that is your call. But don't be surprised when people call you on it.

Your next post is a "gripe" about the site. Really? What is it about the "site" that you are griping about? You don't like the color scheme? You would prefer a different navigation model? Oh... you don't like one of the 5000+ regular visitors who happens to volunteer his time here and provided valuable information and news about the modeling world? Sure... that is a "gripe" about the "site" alright.

Just admit you are a teenager, having trouble with authority figures and always think you are right, then we can shake our heads, move on and put all this behind us.

What xBox games to you play?

Jim
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
well as i can't reply in my own thread about that magazine i'll post this here:

i think my initial post was rather hasty, as taking on board the replies i've received from forum members, i can certainly see the worth of the magazine.

my comments are perhaps better directed towards certain aspects of the magazine, (such as the 'incoming' section, which i still believe is more of an advert for tamiya than it is a useful gauge of upcoming releases) than the magazine as a whole.

in my opinion there was definately a lack of upcoming dragon stuff in 1/35, but issue 2 may redress that.

thanks for your constructive comments guys, i shall post more opinions after issue 2! :-)

*these comments are in no way representative of armorama staff or the majority of it's members. it is posted 'as is', which confers no warranties, and no rights* :-)
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC
jim, i was posting my latest reply before i read your latest abuse.

'Just admit you are a teenager, having trouble with authority figures and always think you are right, then we can shake our heads, move on and put all this behind us. '

i'm not the one posting my opinion as fact and branding all those who disagree as 'arrogant' 12 year olds.

i find your demeanor quite juvenile myself to be honest.

the gripe was about moderation, which is clearly connected to the site, unless your mods don't actually represent armorama?

my last post was an attempt to put this business to bed, yet you seem to be determined to be as abusive as possible.

us 12 year olds always thought grown ups acted like grown ups. i guess not.
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:00 AM UTC
you play xbox games too?

or is that an attempt to portray me as a teenager again?

if so, the average age of an xbox gamer is 25, a milestone i passed last year.

surely a model maker isn't going to label someone's videogame hobby as juvenile? hasn't anyone told you as a model maker to grow up and stop playing with toys? i know i've been told that many times as my model stash grows. :-)

edit: 'What xBox games to you play?'

you mean 'do' i play? just pointing it out as jim mentioned my bad grammar, something i was 'griping' about
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 747 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
I'm 13 and felt the same "everyone here is against me" thing but that subsided afer 1 day.
So please just keep your comments to yourself probably almost none of us want to hear them.

And the ads that are in a magazine don't really freakin matter. It's the articles that make up a magazine. Which is why I can't go into a hobby shop or a bookstore without running to the magazine racks to look through and possibly buy the latest FSM because I know FSM has good useful articles and I can admire others' work in the reader gallery and use their works to help me build mine.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
Adam i see your quite new to armorama.
this site has a lot of great members plus great modellers.its a damn good site with a wealth of information,news and other things.

i have been a member for nearly 2 years and have i learned a lot since.

ok so you had a little matter over a silly magazine big deal,you must learn to keep your opinions to your self,this way you may learn to enjoy you time on armorama and not get in to heated discussions with fellow members.so bite your lip, take a deep breath and please enjoy your stay.

cheers
karl
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC
Dude - just shut up already!- Do you really believe that attacking a very level headed Mod is going to serve your needs in any way? - THIS IS A MODEL BUILDING FORUM we build models - We talk about models - note the site name -Armoramra and underneath it states (for military scale modelers) I have the honor of posting a lot in the sci fi categories - JIM could dump these cause they are not MILITARY MODELS. He doesn't cause we behave! This is NOT your site YOU are not the MODERATOR. Do you act like this when you go to someone elses home? Jim is being over nice about this - I would have said C-YA after the first shot you took at him. Stop and think for a moment - do you want to be blocked?
Go build a model and come back.
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
Why do you have to drag us XBox players into this argument? Is nothing sacred. I am 31 and still enjoy a good game of Halo or any other game I can blow something up to relieve a days worth of frustration. BTW.....Black is a pretty good game for that.

Later,
Salvo
FragTank
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:29 AM UTC
i agree with the guy who said 'keep your opinions to yourself'.

seems thats the way to go, but i will not be bullied. i'd posted an attempt at reconcilliation but was thwarted by more abuse, it's quite disturbing for a forum to not encourage people posting their opinions, but instead promotes abuse and bullying.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i agree with the guy who said 'keep your opinions to yourself'.

seems thats the way to go, but i will not be bullied. i'd posted an attempt at reconcilliation but was thwarted by more abuse, it's quite disturbing for a forum to not encourage people posting their opinions, but instead promotes abuse and bullying.

You did not post an honest opinion you attacked JIM
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
Not sure posting a large banner stating "PWNED" constitutes a valid response. Seems to me that is just throwing wood on the fire. If you are going to state an opinion why not do so in a professional manner. Since that seems to be the point everyone is trying to get across to Adam.

Later,
Salvo
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 747 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
Thanks BM2. Fragtank, just helping you out buddy.
 _GOTOTOP