Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Official Suez Stripes 50 Years thread
yoghurt
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have just signed up for this campaign. I am building a 1/48, Hasegawa French navy F4U-7 Corsair.
Hopefully, I will start Sunday if my Dad ( Betheyn ) will get off the desk :-) .
Courtney
magnusf
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Good evening dear friends!

I have made som further progress today...

Seat belts added from wine bottle foil.

Rear instrument panel. Very little will be seen under a closed canopy but at least I am happy to know that he´s got an artificial horizon in there...

The only time ever that I use pre-shading! I start by spraying the side panels black and then I spray them interior green, aiming from the top downwards. This way I get a bit of "depth-effect" which is sorely needed in this case without having to do a dark wash.

I think I call it a day now, I will spend tomorrow upstairs painting our full-scale house!

Regards

Magnus
EDC
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
I've opened the box, I've made coffee, and the new Tool album is playing in the background. I'm going in! Wish me luck. :-)

yoghurt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 02:27 AM UTC
It really like your plane so far Magnus, I really like the way you have done the side-panels.
Keep up with the work. Good luck with the rest of your plane
Courtney
EDC
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
The progress I made today: a shiny new Mig-15 engine.

TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
I have just signed up for this campaign. I am building a 1/48, Hasegawa French navy F4U-7 Corsair.

Hi Courtney!

That's a very good choice! if you need any help for your "Frenchie", just ask! I've build this model not long ago and there are some issues in Revell"s (ex-Hasegawa) kit. But only small ones, nothing you should be afraid of!

Quoted Text

I will spend tomorrow upstairs painting our full-scale house!

Hi Magnus!

The cockpit looks great! Your first attempt at pre-shading the interior was worth it! Congratulations... and good luck for the "other" painting job!

Quoted Text

The progress I made today: a shiny new Mig-15 engine.

Hi Grant!

Such a nice job in one day! This is a fast engine :-) I'm looking forward for the next pictures!

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 12:28 PM UTC
Courtney - Welcome to the campaign! I was hoping that you would join!

The Corsair is a cool looking aircraft, especially with the black and yellow stripes! I have seen Jean-Luc's attempt at the F4U-7, and if you need any help you should really take him up on his promise!

Magnus - The preshading of the interior looks really good! I have to try that technique some day! Right now, I'm going to have two black cockpits in my Meteor and my Vampire - Does anybody know how to make such cockpits come alive??? The interior detail in both kits is absolutely stunning!!! Then again, these are my first 1/48 kits ever!!! Until now, I've only experiensed the nonexistent interiors of old Airfix and Heller kits. Is this how life is on the dark side!?! I like it!

Does this make you jealous, 007?

GaryKato - You've made me somewhat confused with your Israeli entry. While waiting for the Alclad gloss black base coat to dry on my Ethiopian Saab B 17 (that I'm finishing for the "Siya Africa" campaign), I decided to read up on the units participating in "Operation Kadesh". I'm afraid that a Super Mystère 2.B would not qualify, since those were not delivered to the Israelis until December 1958... Then again, you wrote "Super Mystère IV". Did you mean the regular Mystère IV, only that you are going to build it super?!?

I hope to be lenient on the rules, but historical accuracy is important in this campaign. I have plenty of ideas for you if you need a new subject! You might want to build the F-84F as an Israeli one? Or how about building the awesome Noratlas?

(Am I promoting this bird or what!? :-))

EDC - I wish you good luck, Grant! Looks like you're doing just fine on skill alone, though! Great engine!! Is it going to be visible?

Cheers!
EDC
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

EDC - I wish you good luck, Grant! Looks like you're doing just fine on skill alone, though! Great engine!! Is it going to be visible?

The kit has it so the whole rear half of the fuselage can be taken off to display the engine. You can also display the avionics and gun bays. The engine went together real nicely, here's hoping for the rest of the kit! I'm going to have to pause for a bit while I find a suitable colour match for the interior blue on the Mig. I also think I'm starting to grow fond of the utilitarian Russian aesthetic that you can see in their jets. I think I'll have to build some more after this one.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
Sorry for the confusion. Looks like the Israeli aircraft won't be an Airfix Super Mystere but a Revell of Germany Dassault Mystere IVA. The kit is winging its way to me from Squadron Shop at this minute.

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to keep it all Airfix, although as I look at the Sea Hawk kit more, I'm wondering if it will be worth all that work. About the only good things about the kit are the shape and the nose gear. This is one OLD kit. Ejection pin marks and sink holes all over. Faint raised panel lines that disappear at times. Thick landing gear doors. No 20mm gun troughs! Horrible fit of tailplane and rudder to fuselage. I did manage to find a Modeldecal sheet with a Sea Hawk in my stash.
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC
Sounds like a tough job getting that Sea Hawk in order, GaryKato! I hope that you'll stick with it though.

Ps. Rumor has it that some people out there are sitting with the 1/48 Sea Hawk from Classic Airframe. Maybe they are saving those models for a rainy day?

Cheers!
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
Ok, folks! Time for an update!
Edited May 15th, 2006

Looks like a pretty fine mix to me!

Cheers!
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Björn!

That's quite an Air Force!
It looks as if we will be able to make a Wyvern Squadron!

Jean-Luc
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:47 AM UTC
One correction, all the kits I'm doing are 1/72. My apartment is too small for 1/48.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like a tough job getting that Sea Hawk in order, GaryKato! I hope that you'll stick with it though.

I mentioned those pylons being molded into the wing? Well, they are in the wrong places! Now I get to decide if I'm going to correct this, leave it as it is, or buy the Special Hobby kit instead ($30!).
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi PolarBear,

Great selection of aircraft!!! This is going to be a colourful and diverse campaign.... In addition to the Wyvern in 72nd and the French Corsair in 48th, you can post me up for my third entry with a 35th scale French M47 Patton tank.

Frank
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 08:53 AM UTC
Well heck, no UN vehicles listed yet, so put me down for a UN M3A1 Scout Car.
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 02:51 PM UTC
18Bravo worte:
Quoted Text

Well heck, no UN vehicles listed yet, so put me down for a UN M3A1 Scout Car.

Hi 18Bravo! How is your beast doing? Have you ruined any more parts lately?! :-)

UN is actually meant as an abbreviation for UNdecided, i.e. participants that have not been able to choose subjects yet! - This does not exclude UN vehicles (I have previously indicated that US 6th fleet and Syrian aircraft can be acceptable) provided that they have a strong connection to the conflict. You'll have to plead your case!!!

(I love the Scout. Should the UN not cut it, you might be able to make it IDF? Did the Israelis still use it in 1956, though?)

GaryKato wrote:
Quoted Text

My apartment is too small for 1/48.

Well, either you move out of that apartment, or I'll correct the list. What's it gonna be? :-)

Clanky44 wrote
Quoted Text

In addition to the Wyvern in 72nd and the French Corsair in 48th, you can post me up for my third entry with a 35th scale French M47 Patton tank.

This makes me a very happy campaign leader, Frank!
Armour is very welcome and the M47 is such a nice ground target!

Cheers!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 03:40 PM UTC
Due to the fact that I'm having trouble getting hold of the 1/48 Mystere IVA, and that it doesn't help that it is about £40 which i haven't got at the moment, i am changing my entry to a 1/72 Israeli Ouragan.
I might even do an Airfix 1/72 Mig 15 as the Ouragan needs something to shoot at.
Andy
P.S Did the British forces use the Hunter F6 in the Suez, they became operational at about that time, but i don't know if they were deployed ?
yoghurt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a very good choice! if you need any help for your "Frenchie", just ask! I've build this model not long ago and there are some issues in Revell"s (ex-Hasegawa) kit. But only small ones, nothing you should be afraid of!
Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc,
I've just looked at your Corsair, what colour is it? My Dad thinks it's dark blue and I think it's black.
I really like the details, was it hard to do? Did you have fun doing it? With the paint chipping, it looks really good.
Courtney
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just looked at your Corsair, what colour is it? My Dad thinks it's dark blue and I think it's black.

Hi Courtney!

I'm afraid your father is right... it's dark blue! :-)
The small issues of the kit are the canopy, some engine exhausts, the tyres and the wheel bay.
If you take a closer look at the cockpit hood, you will notice a small seam just on top of it. This one will have to be removed using very fine sanding paper and polisher. If there is no seam, you are lucky as it would mean Hasegawa changed the parts.
Some exhausts won't fit to the cowling if you follow the instructions. Here test-fitting is the key to success!
The tyres are too thin. They should be much bigger. Only solution are resin replacement parts or like me, live with it!
When you assemble the two half wings, there will be a gap in the wheel bays. You can try to close it but also leave it as it is (I did). With the dark blue color it is almost not noticable at the end.

Other than that the kit is pretty straightforward and the only difficulty is the ordnance if you choose to place the rockets.

Good luck, have fun and remember you can ask questions at any time!

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:07 PM UTC
Ok, so this is going to sound really stupid but here goes.
I enlisted in this campaign thinking I could easily find something in my LHS to build. There is nothing on the shelves that would work. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Ordering kits or decals online is out of the question since my credit card is maxed out. Would anyone be interested in selling me a kit or perhaps trading a kit for somethin I have in my stash? Everything I work with is 1/48 scale BTW.

Like I said, I know begging for kits and decals sounds crazy but I really wanted to do this campaign. So, if anyone wants to sell or trade a kit or some decals just let me know.
Thanks
triumph
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
It`s time for my first update. Got the cocpit together last week. just OOB with the exeption of a harness made of masking tape and steelthread . Intend to start painting it this week in several shades of grey. Seems like a nice enough kit trumpeter has given me here
By the way, thinking of weaponload, does anyone know what loadout it used during suez? Would like to load it fully with 1000lb x1, droptanks x2, RATOs and rockets, but am afraid it might be too much
magnusf
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Right now, I'm going to have two black cockpits in my Meteor and my Vampire - Does anybody know how to make such cockpits come alive???

Polar Bear Try light black instead of ordinary dark black! Seriously: Take a look at the instrument panel for my T-6. It looks black, doesn't it? Well, it isn't black, it is grey and a lot lighter than you would guess! I always mix black with whatever grey paint I have within reach and as long as the area I paint is comparatively small it will look just black but with the advantage that you will be able to see details that otherwise would be swallowed in pit black shadows. Beware that this won't work on large areas: I tried it on a night fighter a few years ago and that one looked just grey!

Thanks for the kind words about my T-6, especially those from our lady friend Yoghurt!

I have finally decided on weapons fit: There will be four British 3-in rockets under each wing, each with a 60 lb warhead. They will be fitted on stub launchers, no rails as in the profile. I lean on a few sources:

1 We know the rockets were available to the Israelis since they were used by the Mustangs, hanging from stub launchers.
2 Never under-estimate InAction books! On page 56 in T-6 Texan in Action there is a sketch of a weapons fit consisting of four 5 inch rockets under each wing.
3 Some photos of French T-6s from Algeria. I doubted that a T-6 would be able to fly with four rockets below each wing but comparing to those T-6s from Algeria that is a light load: Many of those carried two rather large calibre rockets, one twin machine gun pod and one rocket pod below each wing!

Finally, to GaryKato Do you feel that that Sea Hawk of yours get overwhelming I can take care of that aircraft instead since I found one in the stash today while digging around for rockets (which I finally found in an Academy Typhoon kit).

No update tonight, the house painting took the best of me today...

Regards

Magnus
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, so this is going to sound really stupid but here goes.
I enlisted in this campaign thinking I could easily find something in my LHS to build. There is nothing on the shelves that would work. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Ordering kits or decals online is out of the question since my credit card is maxed out. Would anyone be interested in selling me a kit or perhaps trading a kit for somethin I have in my stash? Everything I work with is 1/48 scale BTW.

Like I said, I know begging for kits and decals sounds crazy but I really wanted to do this campaign. So, if anyone wants to sell or trade a kit or some decals just let me know.
Thanks

Hi Hermon!

I have a P-51 D from Hasegawa for you... but it's 1/32 scale! It's the kit I wanted to build before Frank (Clanky44) proposed to offer me his 1/48 Accurate Miniature Wyvern kit for this Campaign! So if you don't fear the bigger scale, I offer you the kit. You would have to find a solution for the markings though as there are no Israeli decals in the box. Perhaps a good occasion to paint them using self made masks!

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
VonCuda wrote:
Quoted Text

And I really want you to join, Hermon!

Unfortunately, I'm just starting with 1/48 so my stash is not that big. I do have decals for an Israeli Mosquito PR. XVI with Suez stripes. If manage to get a hold of the Airfix PR.XVI kit, i will send you the decals free of charge.
EDIT: Oups! I checked again and noticed thet the decals are for a Suez-marked TR.33 (I don't know which kit would be best to make one of those...)

Thriumph - Great to hear that you've started. Any questions regarding the Wyvern weapons load should be easily solved by the members of the Wyvern wing! :-)

Magnus - Jean-Luc recently built a French Texan. He might be able to confirm your research.

Cheers!