Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Official Suez Stripes 50 Years thread
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi all!
Welcome to the official Suez Stripes 50 Years campaign thread!!.

You can find the rules for the campaign here.

Please note that there has been an extensive exchange of ideas and information on this pre-campaign thread. Do check it out!

The goal of this campaign is to build models and discuss events connected to the Suez conflict 50 years ago. The conflict incuded some of the most beautiful aircraft ever built, from a wide range of countries. Even though it is officially an aircraft campaign, ground targets as well as naval targets are more than welcome!!!

Here is a preliminary table of some participants and their intended entries:
(See updated list(s) further down!)

It would be nice to cover as many different subjects as possible. Thus, multiple entries are revarded! (check out the rules)! There is even a possibility to do a Grand Slam, i.e. to submit four entries; one model for each participating nation!

I think we will have a great mix of entries, but I notice that there are some beautiful aircraft missing from the above list, such as the Il-28, the Noratlas and maybe a British Avenger. I would love some more ground targets, such as an Israeli Sherman, British Canturion or Egyptian SU-100. - Hopefully, such entries will arrive during the six month of the Suez Campaign.
:-)

Please use this thread to show your progress, to ask questions and to share experiences. Hopefully, we will all learn a little something about both history and modelling!!!

Cheers!

Ps. You will find the official campaign gallery here.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 04:42 PM UTC
Hi Björn!

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the job you've done so far for this Campaign!
Needless to say that I'm looking forward to see this start!

And a big thanks to Frank Portela (Clanky44)...

Jean-Luc
LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
By the way. My P 51 is in 1:48. Guess I forgot to state that.
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
Just to be clear to everyone, I'm not actually 100% positive about doing the Hunter F.5 or the French TBM-3 - those are just proposals for what i would do if I decide to go for a silver or gold ribbon. If anyone else wants to jump on those subject, please feel free, as the only one I definitely am doing for the campaign in the Israeli Mosquito FB.VI.
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
Vanice wrote:
Quoted Text

...the only one I definitely am doing for the campaign in the Israeli Mosquito FB.VI.

That's right. The list above is only preliminary, and is there to provide ideas on what to build. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that! - If anyone decides to swich their subject, just keep us posted!

I do hope that - in the end - we'll have both a Hunter and an Avenger.

Now I'm off to wonderful Copenhagen for a couple of days. Hopefully, I'll have time to visit some hobby shops and see what kind of kits them Danes have... I trust that it's not all Lego!

Cheers!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Björn!

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the job you've done so far for this Campaign!
Needless to say that I'm looking forward to see this start!

And a big thanks to Frank Portela (Clanky44)...

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc,

Sorry for my recent lack of participation. I've been forced off the computer by my wife who is completing a major assignment for her Accounting course. Your Wyvern will be in the mail tomorrow, and hopefully in your hands next week. As far as the official entry, you might want to remove the Sea Hawk and replace it with the 72nd scale Trumpeter Wyvern.

thanks,

Frank
bottlerocket
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 09:52 AM UTC
PolarBear, this campaign is very cool. I have already learned alot from researching this conflict. To me the fun of modeling is learning about and then depicting our history through miniatures...Honestly, I probably would not have known much about the Suez Conflict if it were not for this campaign...I am looking forward to sharing with and learning from all involved...Nigel
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
YES!! We're off with the campaign!!!

Glue and sandingpaper were ready on the table.
Opening the box to start (oh what a moment every time!)...

...and, directly, my first cry for help:

The Venom is a wonderfull plane and the kit looked real nice in the shop. Now I'm starting I discover....
there's no cockpit interior

But it looks like the cockpit was planned: there are little suports for it in the mold (see picture).
Is this kit a rebox perhaps?

Does somebody know:
- IF there is a 1:72 scale cockpit interior that can be used? And if so where to purchase it.

- OR does somebody have ideas how I can scratchbuild it? (Or cockpit pictures/drawings of the Venom)

Thanks

vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:17 AM UTC
In honor of what is shaping up to be a great campaign, and to illustrate why I'll be a little late getting started (that cast is new on my hand as of today):

that is sort of a combination of these two:

with the Mosquito style campaign stripes (since I am doing one of those).

hope it amuses you!

-v-
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:44 AM UTC
Ola Vance!!!
What happened? Looks like you broke a finger?
(but the bandage looks cool...)

Paul
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
Vance wrote:
Quoted Text

In honor of what is shaping up to be a great campaign, and to illustrate why I'll be a little late getting started (that cast is new on my hand as of today):

That's probably one of the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time! :-) You're truly a man of your word, Vance! I tip my hat to you and to the first "entry" of the campaign (and I thought the flat modell by Mahross was going to be original!). You might want to paint your finger red so that it looks like a tounge! - Cool looking Ouragan, too (I hadn't seen that combo before).

I hope that your healing process will be speady!

Bottlerocket wrote:
Quoted Text

Honestly, I probably would not have known much about the Suez Conflict if it were not for this campaign...

Thanks! I'm glad that you feel that way! I look at modelling pretty much the same way. - It satisfies both my creative side and my interest in history. - If this campaign is successful, we might consider doing another "historic" campaign (next year is, amongst other things, the 25th anniversary of the Falklands War. Loads of really cool aircraft!!!). Let's try and concentrate on this one for now, though!!

007 wrote:
Quoted Text

...there's no cockpit interior

Very odd indeed!!!

You might want to check out this interior set from Airwaves (not for your Glencoe kit, but better than nothing?). I think there are a couple of Martin Baker Ejection seats out there, that could be used, see for example here and here (search for "Venom"). Good luck!

Cheers!!!
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thanks Polar Bear for the links, specially the last one since it is located in The Netherlands.

And, eh,...
...I was convinced my Glencoe kit was 1:72. But looking at Hannats I noticed it was 1:48. Looking at the box it turned out to be indeed 1:48!!!!!!
:-) :-) :-) :-)
Don't know why I thought it was 1:72, think it's because I was after the Toko/Frog kit in the first place.

On the other hand... interiors are even harder to find
But the pictures on Hannants of the interior set are a great help to scratchbuild it!
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 06:48 PM UTC
OO7 wrote:
Quoted Text

...the pictures on Hannants of the interior set are a great help to scratchbuild it!

N.B.! Watch out, my friend! I just realised that the Sea Venom was developed for naval service as the FAW.20 & 21, being based on the two seat NF.2. Therefore, I would use the Airwaves drawings with much caution! I will search the internet for some pictures or more adequate drawings.

Funny about your mixup with the scales! I have built a Vampire in 1/72, and I know that those early de Havilland jets are very small compared to most other aircraft!

Cheers!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC
"The Falklands War" for a Campaign idea, huh? I almost reached out and hit the "Approve" button before you could submit the proposal...

Good future idea. I got my Trumpeter Wyvern in the mail yesterday and I'm ready to go!

Gunnie
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the warning PolarBear!
I'll try to Google arround also for cockpit pictures of the plane...

BTW:
How was Copenhagen?

The next few I'm off to the Belgium coast for a short break. I'll be back next weekend.
Hope I have

PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Paul. I'm giving up! I've been googling and trying to find pictures of the Venom FB.4 cockpit, but without any luck. I hope that someone else can help you. There must be a book out there!

Copenhagen was - as always - wonderful!

I hope that I'll receive my Vampire this week!

Cheers!
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC
Hi all!

I just found out yesterday that in my limited edition Mosquito kit (Tamiya 1/48), there are decals for an Israeli plane:

If someone wants to do a FB VI with David Stars, just PM me and I'll send you the decals. I'm not quite sure if the plane participated to the "Suez" conflict though... but the plane was based in Hatzor in the mid 50'...
There are also Norvegian and Belgian markings on the sheet I won't use if someone's interested, but I'll keep the French ones of course! :-)

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Israeli FB.VI:s took part in the conflict. Vanice is building the Tamiya kit as his primary subject for the campaign!

We believe that the FB.VI at the time of hostilities had the blue-brown camouflage and the "Operation Kadesh" stripes (see our discussion on the pre-campaign thread: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/63139&page=1." TARGET="_blank"> https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/63139&page=1.

Ps. I'm thinking of building a FB.VI for the "Bombs Away" campaign. I would love those Israeli decals!

Cheers!
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
it seems many isreali mosquito FB.VIs were in the tan/blue camo during operation musketeer, but evidently some were still painted in overall silver as well. I do intend to do a camo version though - even have the specific aircraft in mind, and already have the decals i need (from Isradecal). but squadron 110 did fly mossies in the suez conflict.

but surely many people in this campaign may need star of david roundels anyway. someone else mentioned (in the bombs away thread?) they were also thinking of doing an israeli FB.VI for example.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

someone else mentioned (in the bombs away thread?) they were also thinking of doing an israeli FB.VI for example.

Hi Vance!

Yes... it seems it was Polarbear! :-)

Björn, PM me your adress and I will send the decals to you. Don't forget they are in 1/48 scale!

Jean-Luc
triumph
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hi.
This is my first campaign, so I am totaly blank in how to update anyone one the progress here
But i intend to make an effort with the Westland Wyveren s4. Not very original I am afraid.
Could anyone please inform me on how to give updates?
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
Triumph wrote:
Quoted Text

Could anyone please inform me on how to give updates?

Hi Triumph! Varmt välkommen till kampanjen!

You can post updates here on this thread if you want! The more updates, the more interesting the conversations! Since there are a couple of Wyvern builders out there, you might want to share your experiences!

You may also choose to start your own seperate thread, but I think it's more fun if we keep most of the posting here. There is also an official gallery (see my first post on this thread) where you can post pictures once your modell is finished!

Jean-Luc wrote:
Quoted Text

Don't forget they are in 1/48 scale!

It's a crazy world, my friend. I've been building Swedish aircraft in 1/72 during my first year of modelling. Looks like my second is going to be devoted to Israeli aircraft in 1/48! Thanks for the decals, btw! I just might have a counteroffer that you can't refuse! Check your inbox in a couple of minutes!

Cheers!
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 04:44 AM UTC
TIME FOR AN UPDATE!

Here is a revised list of participants and their planned entries (as I understand them). Please note that the list is growing everyday and that we now might have an Israeli Harvard as well as a French Avenger!

I notice that we have no less than 5(!) Wyverns and 4 Mustangs in the campaign. Popular and beautiful aircraft, for sure!!! At the same time, we seem to have lost both of the Sea Hawks? Oy!

For those of you who are yet undecided, here are a couple of possible kits that you may want to consider (of some aircraft still missing in the campaign, that is):

Then again, there's also the Airfix 1/48 Mosquito PR XVI (+ "Operation Kadesh" decals from Carpena), the FM 1/48 Vatour, the 1/72 Il-28 from Bilek, numerous Mig-17:s etc, etc. Model Art has the correct Skyraider decals, Dutch Decals the right Canberra ones, and so on... In other words - there is a whole lot to choose from!!!

And why shouldn't you consider an Israeli S55? (nodge, nodge, Mother!)

Cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
While I initially had thoughts of doing the 1/32 Mustang, in the back of my mind I knew I'd end up going with the Trumpeter 1/24 version. I wasn't quite sure about the gun detail, and as you know this one has to be built with the gun bays open. I also really didn't want to purchase the Verlinden cockpit upgrade, not for financial reasons (the 1/24 is going to cost WAY more) but because I wanted to remain true to my ban of their product. Other members' comments on the quality of the Hasegawa kit pretty much sealed the deal.
Soooo... According to FedEx tracking, the Trumpeter kit will be here tomorrow. I'll have to do my own decals of course, but maybe by October some will come out.
LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hi again. Now I've got going with the internals on the #38 Mustang - and I hope to post some pictures shordly - but of course I've run into trouble with the externals. It seems like this individual has been rebuilt twice in Israel lately, and they are different.

Both are blue-tan-grey, but there it ends. One has five equally wide stripes y-b-y-b-y and a yellow spinner and the other has a wide yellow stripe with black edges, and on to pf that - a red spinner.

It seems like the first one equals old photos best, but since they often are b/w it's hard to say. Anyone with some good ideas?

By the way, I found an old pic of british Sea Furys and Fairey Fireflies with stripes! Could that be from here, or was that Korea?