Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Duel in the Sky" Official Campaign Thread
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
Ok! Let's turn it up a notch!

Place: Southern Lebanon

Time: June, 1982

Operation: Peace for Galilee

THE DUEL:

PolarBear in his Israeli F-15

versus

Vanize in his Syrian Mig-21bis

Bring it on!

Ps. This was a very common duel in 1982. I didn't have the heart to tell Vance what the usual outcome was! :-)
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Should be able to start on this in the summer break then
Nige

Hi Nigel!

You know what? That's perfect timing for me also!

Björn and Vance, that looks like a cool duel!

Jean-Luc
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi Jean Luc.
At the moment Im thinking either."black 17" from this set.
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=EAG7266
or perhaps the version with the "top hat",,from this set.(although the directions arent that clear.
http://www.hannants.co.uk/pdfs/AKC11.pdf
Im sure there are more options for an Me109 E-3 from France in early 1940 but Im away working at the moment and its very hard to get online for more than acouple of minutes at a time.
If you know of any interesting decal sets please let me know.
Back to work
Nige
klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Klimmer,

I just PM'd you. Yes I'd love to join you in this campaign. I'm going to build a Hasegawa 1/32 109G6 - I'm trying to represent "Yellow" 6 flown by Fritz Ungar of 9./JG 54 during Feb 1944.

Looking forward to the "Dogfight"

Cheers

Peter

I'm in with a 1/48 B-17G...............get ready Peter. You will have to get past all of my 50's.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hermon, it's good to see you back here! Maybe you can PM me your mail adress so I can send you nasty messages in the future! By the way, what exactely will you build?

Jean-Luc, I'll send you my email address tonight just in case I stray off the plastic path again. :-)
As for what I'm building, with luck, enough time, devine help from above, and patience, I plan to build the Hasegawa P-38J in 1/48 scale. I bought the kit a few months ago because of the beautiful box art. I didn't realize it at the time but after reading the reviews of this particular kit it is supposed to be a real tuffy to turn into a nice build.
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok! Let's turn it up a notch!

Place: Southern Lebanon

Time: June, 1982

Operation: Peace for Galilee

THE DUEL:

PolarBear in his Israeli F-15
versus
Vanize in his [b]Syrian Mig-21bis

Ps. This was a very common duel in 1982. I didn't have the heart to tell Vance what the usual outcome was! :-)

:D

well, i needed a reason to finally build that mig 21 in the stash, even if i am up against a formadible opponent!

TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi all!

Nigel, you may also consider this one:

The first two would be ok but not the last two (BoB planes). This is the EagleCal sheet ref. EAG7250 (Hannants)

The first has the early war paintsheme and was flown during the "Phoney War" (called "Sitzkrieg" in Germany or "Drôle de Guerre" in France). This was the period before the "Bataille de France" in May 1940. The RLM 70/71 camouflage covers the fuselage sides. The second E-3 (wich seems to have been retrofitted with an new E-4 canopy but has no cockpit armor plate) has the newer "offensive" camouflage with RLM 65 (light blue) going high on the fuselage sides.

Both planes you have choosed would also work, but... (I know, there's always a "but" :-) ) these are E-1 versions. This means you would have to delete the underwing gun bulges to backdate your E-3 kit.

To sum up, without modifications to your E-3 kit only the "Phoney War" decoration would work... and it's the one I like most as it would go perfectly with my MS 406 of 1939!

If you have others questions, don't hesitate! By the way Nigel, on what Tour will you work on?

Jean-Luc
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:50 PM UTC
Jean-Luc, sorry just been busy with builds for other campaigns. If there still are any lone competitors out there, well I’m in need of a opponent.

Just about any conflict from Late WWI to present day can be catered for.

I’ve got the following kits that I’d like to build:

Mitsubishi A6M5 Type 52 (Zeke)
Mitsubishi J2M Raiden

FW 190 A-8
Bf109E-3
Bf109E-4

P-47D & N
F6F-3 Hellcat

F-8E Crusader

Or maybe a Peruvian Su-22?
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
Savage wrote:
Quoted Text

Or maybe a Peruvian Su-22?

I hope you'll find an opponent! The more sorts of roundels that Jean-Luc will have to draw, the more colorful our duel chart will be!!! :-)
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 05:11 PM UTC
As I doubt I’ll get any takers on an Ecuadorian Kfir or Mirage F-1.
So, if anyone is interested in building an F-14A (102 or 107) from VF-41’s ‘Fast Eagle’ then I’ll build one of the Libyan LARAF Su-22s shot down on 18 August 1981.

The image above and information were referenced from http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_356.shtml

Any takers?
warlock0322
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I doubt I’ll get any takers on an Ecuadorian Kfir or Mirage F-1.
So, if anyone is interested in building an F-14A (102 or 107) from VF-41’s ‘Fast Eagle’ then I’ll build one of the Libyan LARAF Su-22s shot down on 18 August 1981.

The image above and information were referenced from http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_356.shtml

Any takers?

Eric:

If you can not find anyone to duel with your Su-22 Grant and I have one going with an OA-4M and an F-16. Seeing that the A-4 and Su-22 were Cold War Aircraft and the F-16 and Su-22 were both in Desert Storm ( I believe). I am sure that at some point they had to "bump into each other at some point. You can jump in with us if Grant and Jean-Juc have no objections... Remember they never had to fire a shot as per the rules.

Paul
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,
I finally got my son (Lilaviator) signed up tonight. I'll PM Andy and make sure his plans haven't changed on building the Japanese bomber to oppose Hunters P-40.
Also, just a slight correction. My duel with Winters 1 also includes Newtothegame so it will be a 3 way duel between a P-38, Zero, and Ki-84 Frank.

Thanks
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you can not find anyone to duel with your Su-22 Grant and I have one going with an OA-4M and an F-16. Seeing that the A-4 and Su-22 were Cold War Aircraft and the F-16 and Su-22 were both in Desert Storm ( I believe). I am sure that at some point they had to "bump into each other at some point. You can jump in with us if Grant and Jean-Juc have no objections... Remember they never had to fire a shot as per the rules.

Hi All!

Paul, no the planes must not have fired at each other to enter the "Duel" Campaign, they must just have been rivals at the same time and area.If someone wants to model a Saturn rocket and somebody else a Soyuz rocket, no problem, they would qualify for this group build!

Hermon, thanks for the heads up! I will change the table in the next days...

24 days left until we start to "fight" guys

Jean-Luc
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:34 AM UTC

Hey Savage,
Check your six! ....Fox One!

Brian

alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If someone wants to model a Saturn rocket and somebody else a Soyuz rocket, no problem, they would qualify for this group build!

Hi Jean-Luc

that is not quite correct ... the competitor to the Saturn V would be the N-1 (both Moon rockets)

Nice rocket kits are from Cutting Edge and New Ware....

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

that is not quite correct ... the competitor to the Saturn V would be the N-1 (both Moon rockets)

Ooops!

I should better stay with my WW2 models! :-) But I think you have understood what I was meaning...
Anyway thank you Steffen to have corrected me!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hello Jean-Luc

of course I understood and I did/do not want to sound like a faultfinder (aka "smart ass"). Furthermore if you take other versions of the Saturn it could well be a competitor to the Sojus (rocket) --- so your statement is valid!! --- I'm no pro at this topic, so I first thought of the moon flight but I did a little search on wikipedia

IF anyone is interested in this there are the 2 mentioned manufacturers (and more) to build a Spacerace-Competitor e.g. in 1/144.

Also a Apollo-Sojus(module) project model would be nice (while this is more about partnership than competition you could model both former competitors in one scene/diorama)

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm no pro at this topic, so I first thought of the moon flight but I did a little search on wikipedia

That's what I did too! :-)

Jean-Luc
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Savage,
Check your six! ....Fox One!

Brian

Brian, you’re on, ‘you capitalistic pig’. :-)
See you out over the Gulf of Sidra!

PS: Don’t forget to give SAR my location!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hey bottlerocket...................
If you're out there, I PM'd you about possibly building something to oppose your Mig-3 if you are interrested. I'm not sure what plane I would need but I can probably find something.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here's an updated table with all the duels listed. If I made a mistake just tell me...

Looks good so far! Thanks all!

Jean-Luc
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, that is such a cool graphic you have designed.
I vote that, you are going to have to run all future campaigns from now on .
Andy (++)
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

may I point out a small mistake: Carlos will do the Spit I and I 'll do the Bf 109 E-4

Furthermore I had no contact to Frank (clanky44) regarding the possible Chalkin Gol/Nomohan duel ... hmm maybe i should shoot him a PM

cheers

Steffen
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Just got your PM, I'm good for the duel, I'd rather do the Claude than the Ki-27, but if you have a specific Japanese aircraft in mind, give me the details ,and I'll gladly build on demand!

Frank
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Frank

Thank you (I just read your PM, for that also) as the war is not really easy to follow I would be glad with any jap. a/c of the late 1930ies and the China/Mongolia combat area .... hope I can get a HSU for my I-16 I'll have a closer look at the Sprintscale (or Printscale) decals.... i still have a CA I-15 in my stash although I'd rather leave it there :-) :-) :-)

best wishes and

"good fight ... good night"

Steffen