_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon AMoM warthog
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

This is my entry for the May Dragon AMoM. Its a DML Nashorn build OOB.

Other pics can be found here Nashorn Link

Thanks for viewing

Cheers
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
This is just an explanation on how the kit was built:

The kit was built completely out of the box, except for the wire that I used for the head light.

Painting:
The kit was initially base coated with a red-oxide primer color using Tamiya (Acrylic) XF-64 + XF7 (just a few drops). After the initial base coat, the kit received an over coat of Tamiya XF-60 (Dark Yellow). I used a mixture of Tamiya flat green and white as color for the subtle camouflage.

Weathering:
a) Mud
- I used a mixture of wall spackle, pastel chalk, PVA, flat brown acrylic, real earth and water for the mud.
- Once dry, I gave it pin washes using a mixture of raw umber and paynes gray to highlight some of the mud shadows.
-The mud and some areas of the hood, fender and sides received a final wash of acrylic flat earth color mixed with pastel chalk.

b) Paint Chips
- Paint chips found on the doors and ammo rack doors were simulated using a small sponge dipped in NATO black paint.
- Paint chips on the exterior were done using Tamiya Extra thin cement/glue. Small amounts of cement was dabbed in some areas, thus removing the top coat and revealing the red-oxide primer color. The exposed areas received pin washes of diluted gray/black pastel chalk.
- Interior paint chips were simulated by dabbing paynes gray oil using using an frayed paint brush on to some areas in the interior.

c) Rain/water Marks
- Rain/water Marks were simulated using paynes gray oil paint applied using a very worn out and frayed flat bursh.
- A second layer of rain/water mark was applied using diluted pastel chalk and old brush.

d) Exposed Metal
- The worn out paint on some of the structure edges were done using a diluted black pastel chalk and chinese brush. On other exposed metal surfaces particularly the grab handles, I used graphite.

e) Rust
- The tracks received a wash of my rust mixture using acrylic paint and pastel chalk.

I hope this short explanation would be useful.

Comments, questions and nitpicks are again very much welcome.

Thanks for viewing.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
You always produce amazing models warhog, every time I weather something I try to get the great results you do, but of course that never seems to work :-)
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Warthog, this is one of coolest weathered AFV i saw lately (and i see a lot :-) )

Excellent build and damage on the vehicle!

Special cool stuff is the look of the tracks, heavy used!

Only one thing that pushes my eyes, maye its the pics or (since i dunno much about Nashorns) its supposed to be like that, but the gun barrel looks a bit bent to the ground after the "holder" (not straight)

but i guess its just me not enuff references

cheers and another praise on this one!
Mirko
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
Great build, warthog. Very nicely done. I like the way you weathered the decal. The scratch right across it.

Another fine piece to your collection.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:21 AM UTC
Shain: You can do it...just don't be afraid to experiment. Thanks also for the compliments

Mirko: The bent look is just an illusion because of positioning of the camera. My mistake was not to push the barrel to the holder before taking the pic thus exposing the attachement :-)

JM: Thanks for the kind comments

Cheers
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mirko: The bent look is just an illusion because of positioning of the camera. My mistake was not to push the barrel to the holder before taking the pic thus exposing the attachement :-)

Cheers

i THOUGHT its just me if thats the case than you have 100% GREAT build there

cheers
Mirko
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC
I am very deeply impressed: that is one roughed up vehicle you got there....
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
Thanks again guys
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
Great build! Awesome finish! Very, very good! I like the way you finished you weathring! Everything looks perfect! Congratulations!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 02:15 PM UTC
Thank Prato,

Honestly, I did not expect people to like the effect considering that I almost shelved this kit project. I just said to myself, just do the most that can be done.

Glad you liked it..

CHeers
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 04:42 PM UTC
Hi Arvin. Nice build and weathering. Very realistic looking. The fighting area could do with some personal gear, to show a sense of life ... the same life that weatherd the inside! Any plans for figures?
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Frank,

I'll add the gears and personal items next month, I'll first finish my current project (KT Porsche) first. I'm planning to use either a Tri-Star or a Mini-art kit for the figures .

Cheers
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
WOW! That is one beautiful, beat up old warhorse. I especially like the scratches next to the balkenkreuz. Very realistic. Were these particular ones done using your cement paint removal technique?
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! That is one beautiful, beat up old warhorse. I especially like the scratches next to the balkenkreuz. Very realistic. Were these particular ones done using your cement paint removal technique?

Thanks. Partly yes -- I first applied a very very small amount of cement (to soften the area a bit -- thinner would probably do too) then scratched the surface with a sharp object (awl). To be honest, I scratched it because I damaged the decal :-)

Cheers
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
Very nice job Alvin,
Good luck in the DMOM.....
 _GOTOTOP