_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Status report
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
I don't think it is well known that I was mugged/assaulted on New Year's eve and have sustained permanent damage to my eyes. Whilst I can see, small details are very difficult to focus on and therefore modeling has not been possilble. Just getting back from another check-up, it seems like my eyes will not be getting any better than they are right now, so modeling 1/35 is most likely a thing of the past for me. There is a possibility of me undergoing surgery, but the results could in fact be worse than what they are already.

The reason I am writing this post is to withdraw all of my entries on the compaigns and stuff like that, in one swift post. Whilst I still consider myself an active modeller, I'll have to wait and see what lies in the future for me.

Cheers!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 07:37 PM UTC
Brian,
My God... that is terrible news! I am so sorry to hear about this. I sincerely hope your doctors can find a way to make it better if even over time. Keep looking for second opinions if not.

Having somewhat been through a personal year of hell myself I know that sometimes things do get better over time. I will keep hoping your situation improves.

Take care,
Jim
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
Brian:

Dude, Im sorry to hear of that. I hope you find a doctor or procedure that can help improve your eyesight.

Take care

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
That is terrible news. I was unaware of this tragedy. I hope they nail the people who did this. It's one thing to simply lose property. It's another when they take away one of the activities you enjoy.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Very sorry to hear it Brian! I hope things really improve for you.
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 09:57 PM UTC
brian , words cannot express my feelings to the people who done this hanging would be to good for them
the human body is amazing and hopefully in time things will improve for your vision
good luck my freind and i hope you do continue to enjoy this great hobby and find things that you can do
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:19 PM UTC
I also can't express how sorry I am to hear about this. It's one thing for a medical issue to affect somebody, but to have it caused by thugs is beyond belief.

I can only tell you this, a very good friend of mine lost most of the use of his eyes a while ago. Since his business was video tape editing his eyes were his life. He told me then, just like my wife always tells me, that when one door closes another opens. I firmly believe that now and I believe that IF, and so far it's not sure that the door has been closed as far as your eyes, that door is closed another one, even better, will open up for you.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Brian - I too am terribly sorry to hear about your condition. I truly hope you'll be able to realize improvement in the near term. My thoughts are with you...

Gunnie
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
I'm sincerely sorry to hear of your misfortune. Follow the doctors instructions, and a speedy recovery.
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:40 PM UTC
Brian,
I am so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. As Rodger said, when one door is closed, another is opened. Please take care and keep us posted as you heal.

HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC
Thanks all for the kind words. I too am looking for that other door, since I know it exists.

I was helping my youngest son build a Rav4 that he is making for his grandparents (they have one that he is modelling), and I could do most of the fiddling in that scale. I was thinking that I might just have to change scales to keep on modelling...

I might be able to brag that I am so good at modelling I can do it with one eye shut!! When the truth is I have to shut one eye to not see double images...

Thanks again for all of your support!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
I have several friends and family who are eye doctors. They studied several semesters overseas in Sweden. Apparently they have some of the best eye doctors and eye care in the world over there so you should be in good hands.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Alan!! I know Sweden has good medical capabilities, but it is always good to know that they are highly thought of. Thanks again!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Brian, Im really sorry to hear such news. I wouldnt be counting yourself out yet. Not being able to physically build models does not disqualify you from being part of the community in other ways. Donating your time to Armorama as a Moderator for example is another way you can stay active in the community.

Always look on the up side and as already mentioned, look for those alternatives in terms of your eye sight. Take care of yourself.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
It sure shows you that you shouldn't take anything for granted.
I'm very sorry to hear about the bad health news.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 09:58 AM UTC
Brian,

That horrible news. Hope things get better. Maybe the eyes need a rest for a while.

Let us know how we can help. Have to get you converted over to 1/16.

Paul
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
Brian...whats the latest on your eyes?

All doing better?

Hope so.

Give us some feedback

kglack
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 12:54 PM UTC
Brian, that's terrible news. Sorry to hear it. I always wonder what modelling will be like for me when I'm older and my eyes and hands give out. I'm an illustrator and writer and my eyes are essential for my livelihood (as well as my hobby), so I know how you feel. I'm glad to see that you remain cheerful, and I hope that things improve. If not, 1/16 is a great scale (my favourite), so there's hope. Good luck.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
The latest check-ups have shown that surgery is most likely not an option, but it is still not ruled-out. I have an odd 3-D vision warp. I'm begining to be able to compensate for my double-vision, but another factor that is playing a harder game on me is me being sensitive to light. The wrong amount of light - bright or dark, makes my eye hurt. It is this fact that makes it almost certain that I will have to change jobs.

But on the upside we have bought a new home where I can have a better hobby area. That is not the reason for the move, of course, but it has great possibilities!!! I can bear visiting the Big A again, because I know that in a few short weeks I'll be able to start building again and see what happens. I am almost sure I will have to go to a larger scale, but who knows... Otherwise visiting the Big A was like a diabetic visiting a candy store...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC
Good to see you back Brian.
Hope all works out health wise.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 01:15 PM UTC
Nice to see you back again Brian, hope your recovery continues in a positive direction.

barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 05:07 PM UTC
speedy recovery to you Brian.
 _GOTOTOP