_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Hooray for Hollywood Official Thread
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 451 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hey all - please use this thread as a central location for the Hooray for Hollywood (h4h) campaign. Any news/updates/questions can be submitted here for everyone to see! The following information is from the campaign page, in case anyone has still has questions about the coolness factor of this campaign.

Quoted Text

Operational Overview
Recreate a scene from an actual TV show or movie into a diorama. This is not limited to a military theme. You may consider Science Fiction, Horror, Action and other genre to base your project, and you are not limited to any scale. This "anything goes" wide scope is intended to encourage participants to try new techniques with scratchbuilding, materials and products, and include everyone, be they interested in air, land, sea or space.

The Rules and Regs
Your diorama must be based on an actual tv show or movie. You must submit three photographs of your completed project. Do not list the movie or TV show title when submitting your entries. We will guess where it's from at the end.

Contest Element
A campaign ribbon will be earned for all participants completing within the stated time frame. You may complete as many projects as you want, but no more than one ribbon will be awarded per person, per campaign.

Hooray for Hollywood!

lights....camera..... action!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
Oh that's just great, the campaigns not even a day old and already Joan Crawford is bitc*hing about some, wire hangers in her wardrobe, or something.
Cheyenne
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 04:28 PM UTC
"Wild horses couldn't drag it out of me!"
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
This has got to be the best campaign ever, anything goes, all facets of modeling , all eras, all anything, etc., etc.
You could take a manikin, smash a creampuff on it's head and call it Animal House ..... " I'm a zit ... get it ? "
Cheyenne
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:35 AM UTC
Cool deal! I actuaslly had something in mind that I wanted to do anyway, so this is right on time for me! actually, this will be my first real diorama, and while I'm sure I wont be up to y'alls standards,, I'm really looking forward to this.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
Welcome to the cast, Novembersong! Can't wait to guess your project!
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
I actually have finished the one I was thinking about (aside from some tweaking here and there) so I'm going to do two; another one I have in mind NOONE will get! If someone correctly guesses my second one, I'll send them a $10.00 gift card to Starbucks, or Hobbytown USA or something. I dont think I've ever actually met anyone aside from myself whose seen this great movie I'm thinking of!

I'm going to have to create the figures though, it will be kind of tough.
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 05:36 PM UTC
Has anyone made any progress on this yet? I'm going to try and post pics this week of the one piece I have finished already (Though I'd really love to do the faces over), but my Digital Camera is only about 3.6 megapixels, so it doesnt really have the clarity I'd like.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
hey there, exciting that you're done with one. It would be fun to see your project - but maybe don't reveal the movie until the end of the campaign! I'm still gathering all the parts for mine- waiting for the snow to fly before i spend time indoors sniffing glue.
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
Think I will wait until after labor day; I found some stuff called "Flesh wash" by Citadel Colour that's used to do faces on Warhammer pieces (from what I'm told. I dont know anything about warhammer) that seems like it might give me some more depth to my troops.

I think I can safely say I like Dragons troops better tham tamiyas.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi!

I ordered a great model that's suitable for this campaign, and I enlisted right away! This is gonna be a great campaign!

Just a question to make sure:

Quoted Text

Your diorama must be based on an actual tv show or movie

It's bases on it. So, it does not have to represent an actual scene, but it must be obvious referable to the movie or series, am I right?

Paul

novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
I'm not sure Paul, I construed that to mean it had to be an actual scene from a movie or show. You might be right, but unless the dio was something painfully obvious, like a set-up of the M*A*S*H camp, it;d be really hard to figure out what everyone was basing their dio on.

Thats just the way I saw it, I may be wrong, my wife is quite accustomed to pointing that out to me a whole lot.
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 05:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I may be wrong, my wife is quite accustomed to pointing that out to me a whole lot.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

LOL!! Same here, man!! I know exactly what you feel!

Thanks for your answer.
Well, the subject I'm planning is indeed 'painfully obvious'.
I only don't know if the vehicle I want to build was really used in "it" (not to give a hint if it was a series or a movie...).
I think I just give it a try.
The kit is suspected next week by mailorder, I can hardly wait...

Paul
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
My second entry in this campaign has been kind of put on a back burner for right now; I got really far on a battle scene of Kursk with a Panzerkampfwagen IV, and actually got a great deal on e-bay on a kit of SS Panzer troops survivors of Kursk that worked out really well. I'm trying to find a couple of Russians to put in it as well, so I'ts kind of consumed my time.

I was going to re-do my first entry, as it was the first dio I ever did, and as such, I painted the firgures without priming them first (Hey, I didnt know any better), and they were Tamiya, and the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Is it just me, or do the Tamiya figures leave something to be desired? After seeing the Dragon, Academy and Warrior figures, I felt a little let down in the quality of my work.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
The whole point of the campaign is to try and let the viewer guess what movie you are trying to protray. How you present it is up to your imagination but I would venture to say that most dios will end up being a scene from the movie. I think this line in the instructions should answer your question

"Recreate a scene from an actual TV show or movie into a diorama."

I myself will be doing a scene but it will be not be an exact replica. There will be a bunch of people but they won't neccessarily be the "exact" people from the movie.
Removed by original poster on 08/29/06 - 08:06:16 (GMT).
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 08:57 AM UTC
Is it Band of Brothers? (Falling pine-trees...)
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it Band of Brothers? (Falling pine-trees...)

Nope, but it was made by HBO
mightymouse
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:42 AM UTC
It's "When Trumpets Fade", and I'm 100% positive!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:06 PM UTC
Novembersong. You should not be posting any pics until the end of the campaign. No clues about your project should be revealed until then.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hey there, everyone! It's exciting to see the first campaign entry on the board!! Looking really good and I haven't a clue where the scene is from!!
I'd like to request 2 things, as indicated in the PM I sent to Novembersong, before more entries come in:

1. Please create a new thread for your entry under campaigns. Your thread would be titled something like Hooray for Hollywood - Novembersong. There you can post as many pics as you'd like, and then people will be able to reply directly to you making comments, suggestions and guesses about your work and it won't be buried among everyone elses entries. The main HFH thread should just be kept for questions about the campaign at this stage. I'm going to request an official Hooray for Hollywood gallery be created and that is where you'll submit your final 3 pictures for the entry.

2. Please dont reveal the subject matter of your dio. I'd like everyone to have a guess at them, and if someone guesses correctly right off the bat, then it's not fun for everyone else if the answer is already in the thread. I think it would work if we post the answer in our threads at the end of the campaign.

Hope this works for everyone! I'm really excited about my first campaign and I'd like for it to go well!
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Novembersong. You should not be posting any pics until the end of the campaign. No clues about your project should be revealed until then.

Doh! Sorry! I misunderstood that part of the campaign!
Forgive me for my overzealousness, I've never done anything like this before, and I got swept up in the moment!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
No problem Novembersong. Normally in a campaign you would post prgress pics but this one has a different twist.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hooray for Hollywood Gallery is now up !
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC
Man, this campaign is harder than you think at first.
You'll have to go completely solo!

I started my build for the campaign but I come up with some (more) question about the "prototype" I'm building. These questions are burning on my modellers mind, but asking them here will reveal the subject of my entry...
:-)
 _GOTOTOP