_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Rockets and Missiles - Official Thread
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC
I'm standing in for Neo here and launching the thread for the Rockets and Missiles Campaign that started on June 1st. (Hope you don't mind Neo...)

Help Neo out here and place your project introduction, updates and some photos here of your progress to make it easier for him to keep up with you.

Thanks!

To get the ball rolling, here's four simple in-progress photos of my project for this Campaign. I'm modeling an example of an operational M4 LaCrosse Guided Missile System as part of the 4th Guided Missile Battalion, 28th Artillery Group. A few years ago, I corresponded with a veteran of the 4th MSL Bn who helped me out greatly with details of the operational M398 Helical Rail Launcher Truck and the associated LaCrosse missile system.

My miniature is in 1:35th scale, and I'm scratchbuilding the LaCrosse Guided Missile and Launcher Platform. I'm backdating AFV Club's M49A2C Fuel Tanker Truck into the early gasoline-powered M45 6x6 Chassis used to carry the Platform and Missile Launcher System. I got a good start because I robbed several other projects to go at this one full-speed - I've got tons of M44 Series Truck model parts lying around the workbench waiting for use.

These photos are in-progress shots - there's more detail(s) to be added as I progress. I'm modeling all three major subassemblies at the same time, and to prevent damage from handling and test-fitting, not all components are permanently attached.

To go along with veteran information, I'm using Technical Manual details and specifics to model this vehicle. I sure hope to wrap it up quickly so as to have time to complete another vintage US Rocket system before the end date of this Campaign.

Hope you enjoy!
Gunnie

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:08 AM UTC
Man, you are quick. I plan on making the old Revell Redstone rocket out of box. Hopefully the old kit will hold up under scrutiny.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
Jim

Looking great Sounds like quite the conversion Now to decide what I would like to build I do have my eyes on the French 39(h) rocket launcher from Trumpeter
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
Maybe that Davey Crocket Portable is callin my Name Finally
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe that Davey Crocket Portable is callin my Name Finally

Rob - I can move when I really, really, like the subject. LaCrosse falls together for me. Same for many of the other 1950's era rockets and missiles.

Heh heh - yesssss - I'm eyeing my Davy Crockett too Matt - hope you do one!

Gunnie
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 219 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
So does the rocket or missle have to be visible? Would an M270 MLRS vehicle count?
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm standing in for Neo here and launching the thread for the Rockets and Missiles Campaign that started on June 1st. (Hope you don't mind Neo...)

Thanks for the help Gunnie ( I can see you were really ready for this campaign to start - LOL). :-)

Wanted to start this yesterday but the "Criticial Need" Chip in my router sensed I needed to get online ...
and so it would not connect (machines are wonderful no?).

Anyway...
I would just like to say:

One and All to the Official Rockets and Missiles Campaign Thread.
Offical thread is up, gallery is up, and we are ready to build!

Were of to a great start, about 30 modelers joined, some really interesting stuff. I'm building a 1/48 scale SS-12 on it's transporter. Maybe even a dio. if I find some 1/48 modern russians.

Gentlemen - Start your airbrushes and
Good Luck to All!
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 01:10 PM UTC
Hi all,

Neo I would like to ask something. My idea was to join with a Nebelwerfer carrying Maultier, however due to the shortage of storing space, I need to get rid of larger boxes and a Star Trek Klingon Bird of Prey is staring at me from the shelves. Is it OK for the campaign or should I stick with the Nebelwerfer mule? (I know the Bird of Prey fancies lasers, not missiles as weapons and I'm at a loss whether if the propolsion system can be identified with "rockets"?!?)
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi all!

I'm planning one of the Lend&Lease GMC Kayutscha's.
I'm kitbashing the Italeri GMC kit and the Zvezda Kayutscha to make it.

Berlin '45 (double rack?)
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
Neo I would like to ask something. My idea was to join with a Nebelwerfer carrying Maultier, however due to the shortage of storing space, I need to get rid of larger boxes and a Star Trek Klingon Bird of Prey is staring at me from the shelves. Is it OK for the campaign or should I stick with the Nebelwerfer mule? (I know the Bird of Prey fancies lasers, not missiles as weapons and I'm at a loss whether if the propolsion system can be identified with "rockets"?!?)

Emre,

The Klingon is alittle bit of a stretch... (SciFi was included in the orig. campaign proposal but it was more directly related to our theme).

May I suggest, you need to get some storage space, build both! Don't forget you have six months.

N E O
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 06:33 PM UTC
Ok, no problem... I guessed what your answer will be, so I'm already halfway through the construction of the maultier

The kit came secondhand, it seems some parts are missing... What luck! Will try to do my best.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 08:05 PM UTC
A pair of ideas.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Ahhh Carl - you picked out my next idea!!!

I was gonna whip out a Mercury-Redstone conversion too! Now I might have to do something weird...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was gonna whip out a Mercury-Redstone conversion too! Now I might have to do something weird...

Gunnie

Are we going to have to change your user ID to Rocket Man?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Are we going to have to change your user ID to Rocket Man?

Now that would be COOL! If Jim could do that and give me a new Avatar to match, I'd be happy!

Gunnie
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
They will be seperate builds.A TankCarl 2 fer.
Since they are different scales,It would take a lot of imagineering to build a Mercury Redstone capsule for use on the Jupiter C.(which is a redstone main stage).
That printed,
Here is my begining.

(++) (++)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since they are different scales,It would take a lot of imagineering to build a Mercury Redstone capsule for use on the Jupiter C.(which is a redstone main stage).

Actually, no "imagineering" at all - several modelers have already performed the conversion using the Glencoe kit and the Revell 1:48th scale Mercury Capsule. It's not difficult, and makes an impressive miniature.

Mine shown in the photo below is done using two Glencoe Jupiter C Rockets, but you can also get a resin conversion for the Glencoe kit from Attic Aircraft Models that provides a resin body plug and Mercury Capsule with Adaptor Ring. The Mercury Spacecraft I have poised on top is an old dummy from my childhood modeling years - good for sizing things up while working on the rocket.

Mike Mackowski produces plans and technical information for converting the model kit Mercury Spacecraft into the proper capsules that were launched. He does very good references for modelers interested in Real Space modeling. I particularly like Space In Miniature #3, covering the Space Shuttle. Comprehensive and well-done. I remember a couple of links that were on the 'Net for performing the conversion on the Mercury too - if you'd like...

Gunnie
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
I wonder if the song "Rocketman" from Elton John should be the theme song for this campaign :-) :-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 05:36 AM UTC
Oh Boy......... Looks Like's I got some Scratchbuilding to do........ Contemplating converting my M38a1 to the M38a1d model..........
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 10:46 AM UTC
Thanks anyways ,Jim.I like the idea of a Jupiter C with sattelite payload,and the Atlas w/ the Mercury payload.
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi, I thought we could build some sci-fi for this campaign and so I chose two models of two different scales to be included in one scene. I think I have shown these before, but wish to show you once again to get some critics about my idea. The items are from Star Wars Trilogy, one is an Imperial Class Star Destroyer and the other is a rebel B-Wing. This picture gave me the idea and inspired me:

And this is what I am going to build:

I think it qualifies for this campaign, as it includes quite a lot of rocket engines (not to mention the missiles that both of the ships are carryinng inside).

Release your anger friends...
Cagin
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
I have the Dragon MLRS kit, with the Royal Models update, ready to go, just need to source some NATO style tracks for this, as i want to do a UK MLRS as deployed in the gulf.............anyone goit any suggestions as to where i can get the correct style tracks from?

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
superglue61
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hello all ;
I posted my SA-6 in another thread, Oops. Its almost ready to paint.
I will be starting my MLRS today, I will post pics tonight or tommorow ...............

SG61 ........................
superglue61
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hello all;
I put some paint on my SA-6, and did the tracks. I need to put on tracks and do the missles.

SG61 ...................
 _GOTOTOP