_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Brass
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the wonderful info on modelling.. I stumbled across your site and soon signed on.. I have already borrowed the technique for making copius amounts of bricks with plaster of paris.. But I do have a question, Im in the process of building Tamiya's King Tiger with a production turret. I picked up a U.S and German tank accesories kit as well.. I want to add the shells for the 88 into the model.. The problem Im having is getting a decent colour for brass.. Any help would be appreciated.
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
From one Mo to another....

Anyways, Tamiya has #35166, a set of Brass 88 shells for their King tiger kit for ~ $9.00 which would really be easy. If you just want to paint some plastic shells go for a metalizer paint. There are several brands with colors such as brass, copper, and bronze. I use model master ones and I just paint them on with a paintbrush, and then buff them with a rag with dry to give them a little extra shine. Hope that helps.

Scarlet_Guidon_6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 10:24 AM UTC
Go to hardware store,,use Rustoleum Metallic gold, works great
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC
Lou: check the original posting dates of these threads. This one started in 2003. The other one about Jabos was 2002.

Common forum etiquette is to refer to old threads for info only -- but don't revive them
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lou: check the original posting dates of these threads. This one started in 2003. The other one about Jabos was 2002.

Common forum etiquette is to refer to old threads for info only -- but don't revive them

Well, I was hoping somebody would provide Dave with another option after all this time.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 10:40 PM UTC
Dave,

Be careful here. By the time the KT was in production, the shortage of brass had led the Germans to start using rolled steel shell cases, carefully greased against rust (despite this they were still prone to jamming if they got even the slightest surface rust). They even used steel cases for SAA. So the shell cases should appear silver - this is despite the nice brass shell cases available aftermarket.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 01:38 AM UTC
Mojo last posted here in Sept 2012...
Snorri23
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 01:51 AM UTC
A trick that I read in a car mag is to have a base colour of yellow then your brass colour. The same technique that one uses for red which needs a base coat of white.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Roy,
Are you the self appointed net nanny for Armorama?? It looks like others in the community have benefitted from the resurrection of this link. Keep up th egood work

JC
 _GOTOTOP