Wanted: Rubble wall for Normandy setting
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hello guys,

for a future project featuring the 101st Airborne in Normandy on the day of days I'm in need in a rubble wall in 1/35 scale. I'm thinking of these walls you sometimes find in the landscape to separate certain owner's fields.

I check the major companies (Verlinden, Custom D., Plusmodel ... ) without any succes.
Do you kinow a manufacturer who produces such a specific item? If so please post a link and maybe a retailer where can acquire the object of desire.

Otherwise do you have comments on how to create one on your own if no ready-made alternative exists?

Thx alot for your help
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:29 PM UTC
Flankers by: Barry Gazso

This wall is by Armand Bayardi. Its the only one I know off. A little too perfect for a rural wall though IMO.

Why not scratch build one? Small stones can be glued together, and where you can´t find a suitable stone to fit a certain area, make it from milliput or some other putty! This will also help hold the wall together.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:57 PM UTC
Patrick, scratching one shouldn't be too difficult. You should get some pieces of flat slate (like you get in the Rhine and Hunsrück areas), they are very brittle and you can break it easily into small pieces. Because they are flat, they can be glued together fairly well, and if the gaps between stones are too large, you can fill it with something like spackel which can then be painted to look like moss.
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:41 PM UTC
thx for your comments.

I must have missed this "Flankers" feature. The wall looks really nice, but I haven't found a retailer carrying this manufacturer in germany.

Do-it-yourself is always an option, but if there is something on the market you can spare the time. I thought doing a wall from plaster and a sculpting tool.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 01:52 PM UTC
Why not collect the stones as Dave suggested, and then use them as colour 'swatches' for painting once you sculpt your own wall from plaster?
Think you're well up to it!
Cheers
Brad
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 01:56 PM UTC
For a more realistic effect get a bunch of real small pebbles and a little spackle or plaster and make your own. It's cheaper and you will get the exact wall size, shape and be able to control where and how much rubble effect you want. Plus you won't have something that looks like everyone elses
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
Kancali makes a few molds for rubble I hear they work very well and am tempted to try them myself one of these days.

Heres the hotlink to the site http://www.kancali.com/Wallsections.html
afromon_11
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 02:45 AM UTC
Found something on ebay. Cant really see it all to well from the picture but you could do some further looking into it if your interested. Im sure you could cut it do your desired height, width etc....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Verlinden-Brick-Wall-Section-1-35_W0QQitemZ5996609653QQcategoryZ2588QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers
John
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 02:58 AM UTC
Lots of options. but making awall would be simple. The same basic techinque used to create any wal will work. check out an article I did a while back at
Basic wall construction

Remember also taht many of the walls seperating fields or even yards were overgrowth with brush and vegetation.

Good Luck

Neill
 _GOTOTOP