Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Tank Aces campaign
ahueger
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
makes me remeber I build the "old" Tamiya kit when it was king of the hill, I always feel tempted to do another Tiger I http://online-club.de/~rp40713/Bilder__gallery/TIGER_PIC/tiger_pic.html one of these days. A new state of the art kit. I think you should flatten the Zimmerit a little, I feel it's a little overdone ....
- Andreas -
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 05:43 PM UTC
Jan: Nice looking KV-1E you got there. I too am building that beast for Kolobanov. Which figure are you using?

Mike: Tiger is looking good. Zimmerit looks good.

I am almost done the build of my KV-1E. Now its time for phase 2 - Painting
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan: Nice looking KV-1E you got there. I too am building that beast for Kolobanov. Which figure are you using?

Thanks

I am using Tank model "soviet tank officer" Dmitriy Lavreneko (who was originally a T-34 commander, but who's to tell )

liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 05:41 PM UTC
hi guys, finally..i've just completed maj. irzyk's M4 sherman..you can check some more pictures of the M4A3E8 sherman thread at the AFV forum. enjoy viewing...

..and thanks again.
ahueger
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hey Ed,
you beat me on that ! Nice looking with all that stuff piled on the engine deck. See how my will compare to that.
cheers - Andreas -
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC
thanks andreas,...hope to see your sherman and other tanks any day from now..i'm just wondering..do we have a gallery for the tank aces campaign? i checked the campaign gallery last nite and it wasn't up for posting yet. i hope our campaign supervisor will set-up the gallery anytime. okay..thanks again.
is it okay to enter another tank for this campaign? i just found out that my other sherman 'in the mood' was also an ace tanker. thanks again.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC
hi mike, tiger's coming up nicely with zimmerits. i used to apply them manually with a small screw driver..yours is nicely done.

hi jan, your KV-1 with add-on armour is looking good. hope to see more in-progress pictures. cheers all.
silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Ed,
The Sherman looks really great , I really like the rust effect in the back and on the sides along with the mud, When I do my next Sherman, you have to let me know how u did it. Keep up the great work

Hi Andreas,
Abrams Thunderbolt is coming along really great, can't wait to see it finally finished. love the paint job on it.

Hi Jan,
Can't wait to see the finished product on the KV1, personally I haven't done any Russian armor yet but i might now after seeing yours.

I'm in the process of finishing up the top deck on my Tiger 1, after I'm done with that, I plan to start work on the dio for it, Simple street scene in the town of Villers Bocage. Will post pics later of the top deck.
silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 07:20 AM UTC
HI guys,

Here's some more pics for your scrutinisation , I'm almost done with the deck, then onto the base for the dio.

liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC
very nice..the extra details looks mighty good.
ahueger
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hi Ed,
should be no problem ... I got two Sherman's entered myself

Mike,
I love thy way you model the battle damage and your other use of PE . too many too small parts for me though I'd really love to see more of that build !

Andreas
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 03:29 AM UTC
OK here is my entry. It is Ernst Barkmann's Panther "D". Not the famous "A" version he had in Normandy, but one that he suppossedly cammanded around the Ardennez. It is the early Dragon kit with Cavalier diamond pattern Zimmerit.. I roughed it up a bit to give the zimmerit a sort of worn look.

EDIT:
Can't seem to get my other picture to take but it is in my gallery and shows a nice sideview of the tank
ahueger
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hey Guys,
finally we got our Campaign folder !

http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/17443

I couldn't help and moved my first finished Shermie there. Col.Abrams Thunderbolt VI. I almost got the Irzyk Sherman finished, too ....
Let me know if you like them and move your pics to our gallery, too, o.k.?

Steve,
that Panther would make nice fodder for Abrams ...

cheers - Andreas -
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,

Against Barkmann ???!!! :-) :-) :-)

The guy who with a broken down Panther shot up an entire British tank battalion at Normandy by himself. BRING IT ON !!!
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,

Hehe... Jimi Hendrix playing on a cheap guitar still plays better than some music school grad with a top of the line Strat. No contest.

WC
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hehe... Jimi Hendrix playing on a cheap guitar still plays better than some music school grad with a top of the line Strat. No contest.

WC

Hehehe! Quality analogy... I'm guessing we're talking the Creighton Abrams Experience here? :-)
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
hi guys, another sherman for the tank aces campaign. M4A1 'in the mood'..one of our members gave me a brief history of this tank..thanks bradley(honeycut)...

Gdat Ed
'In the mood' was the name given to 3 successive tanks of Lafayette Pool, a US tank ace of the highest order... He is credited as having destroyed 258 pieces of enemy equipment, among this innnumerable halftracks and even 4 Panthers! He was fearless, and during their exploits after D-Day his tank was the lead tank for 3d AD 'Spearhead' 21 times! He stated he had the best driver and gunner. The M4A1(76) is supposed to be missing the left hook of the guntravel lock, and there was a scar from a Pak 40 across the drivers hood... (They returned fire and destroyed it;)
Apparently the idler wheels are supposed to be the spoked version, but hey I wouldn't worry now!
She looks great and the two tone has come out well
Top notch!
Cheers
Brad

more pictures at the armour/afv forum...http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/81337&page=1

thanks for viewing.
silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Steve
That Panther looks awesome I hope my Tiger comes out just as good .

Hi Ed,
Way to go, now thats a sharp Shermie, love the way u did the turret .

Sorry, I haven't posted for awhile, been working on the dio I plan to put my Tiger in, I have some working in progress pic in my albums heres the link http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=17420 Any comments would be appricated.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WC

Hehehe! Quality analogy... I'm guessing we're talking the Creighton Abrams Experience here?

No, I think it was Barkmann's Band of Gypsies
ahueger
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi guys,
here's my Irzyk M4A3E8

basically done. I am waiting for the Formations antennae base but other that that I'll call it done.

Ed, "In the mood" is really cool looking, how did you do those tarps ?

regs - Andreas -
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC
Andreas

looks good, not overly done. I think the only thing I would change would be to put some mud (brown paint) on the black portion of the road wheels where they would hit the tracks Real lightly as most of the mud would fall off, but the residue / stain would remain
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
thanks everyone..the tarps are from other kits. the straps are scratchbuilt made of metal foil. same with other tarps..metal foils. check some candy forforated/matted foil wrappers..they're fun to use. for the bull's eyes and buckles. thin copper wire coilled up with a small pin just like a coil spring! then cut to small circles or squares. same on how you scratchbuild a bezel for instrument panels. but this one is a bit smaller. thanks again.

hi ahueger, nice sherman..same here i like them with mud all over the tracks and wheels.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
I just got my Thunderbolt VII easy 8 2 days ago, I guess I will build it for this campaign
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
Started Abram's Thunderbolt VII easy 8 this weekend. Typical DML newer quality, with a little overengineering in some areas. The working suspension is rediculous, I glued it together permenantly. I should of spaced it open about 1mm but the relative height change of about half that is irrelevant. They should of made blank 'boots' to length as an option to delete the springs. The 'shock' for lack of a better word does not stay parallel with the spring in place, and is far too hard to compress, glued magic tracks having no movement notwithstanding. I don't get the point. I would glue them in position and set the magic tracks if it weren't on flat ground anyway.

NOTE: Do NOT glue the center damper all the way closed if you don't use the springs, leave them about 2mm apart as my front road wheel is right at the sprocket. Whoops. Too late to change it now for me as its all painted. It still looks ok but definately not perfect. I guess mine just has a full tank of fuel and a very fat crew...

As the reviews say some parts need to be shaved off the front glacis plate for the armor, and for some reason two large areas need to be clipped from the rear inner upper hull in a somewhat tricky area. The bolt heads for the lower front armor plate are probably the smallest styrene parts ever made. Of course, DML; who can sometimes give you up to 400 extra parts on a given super kit, decides to only give you 8 exact bolts in this newest one-so DONT loose them. I actually recovered two of these tiny suckers from my grey carpet.

I'll get some better pics soon as my good digicam is at work. My first Sherman tank and I have raised weld beads

silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 08:30 AM UTC
Ok everyone, Finished (I HOPE) Wittman Tiger 1 at Villers Bocage, I went with 231 as the tank number, because all the reseach I've done points to that Tiger 1. Here's a couple of pics, I have more posted in the campain gallery.