_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tedious
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
According to the dictionary, it means too long, boring and monotonous. Which leads me to the question for you all: What is your most tedious aspect of modelling?

Mine used to be individual tracks and tank wheels. But now I have a new winner - IDF chain and ball armor. Oh my God! :-) I am currently building the Merkava IV from Legend - amazing kit, by the way. I am done with the turret and now onto the chain and balls. Let's just say I watched an entire hockey game last night and completed a whopping 3 sets. Three down, 57 to go!! :-)

Anyone else feel the "pain?"

-Felix
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
I don't know what involved with your sets, but what I did several years ago when I made mine was to first cut however many lenghts of jewelry chain and hang them on a wire suspended between the arms of a "Helping hand" device, two alligator clamps on articulated arms on a weighted base. Then I tied a craft bead to the bottom link of each chain and added a piece of wire to the top link. The tough part was drilling all the attachment holes to the bustle. When all the holes were drilled, I popped the wire into the hole and superglued in place. I did much of this in assembly line fashion.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC
Those ball and chains are annoying, but do them slowly and over a period of time and they arent that bad.

Now removing the waste resin from Legends models is a different matter-VERY TEDIOUS!!!!! They leave so much waste in the most annyoing places and it not the average thin stuff, its proper thick resin chunks that require finding a mini sander, going outside to the garage to do it, getting covered in horrible resin dust and then you find you have sanded half way into the front hull-grrrrrrrrr!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now removing the waste resin

That explains a lot!
Genetk44
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
I've always wondered what those ball and chains were for......anybody know?????
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
building 40-60 little airplanes for my 350 scale aircraft carriers. The trumpeer style aircraft look so good, but average 10 parts and about 6 decals each. They are about as big as a section of a finger (less than an inch) when complete Individual track links are tough, but I find you have to do an enire side at once so I do the cutting and trimming one day, then the assembly / mounting the next, then do it again for the other side. These new Dragon tacks have helped abit with that problem.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is to explode RPG type shaped warheads before they hit the shot trap under the turret bustle. They work much in the same fashion as schurtzen in WW2 or chain link fencing in Vietnam or the bar armor in Iraq today.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
I find doing the running gear the most tedious part. Esp. when there are a lot of road wheels to clean up. Once I get past that part I find the rest pretty enjoyable.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
I read somewhere, and of course being senile, I can't remember, that each ball was attached with a different number of links. Now that work drive me nuttier than I already am. :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I read somewhere, and of course being senile, I can't remember, that each ball was attached with a different number of links. Now that work drive me nuttier than I already am. :-)

I made, I think, two sizes, one for the forward sides and another for the back of the bustle. Given the size of the links, there couldn't be all that many different lenghts of chain.
BarIsrael
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
it starts at about three at the left side, then progresses to 4 and then five. It all relates to your perceptions. There is a pregressive legthening of the chains however. It is to compensate for the slopes sides of the turret edges, giving the appearnce of symetry with the chains and balls. The entire back row should be 4 links if you're using the brass wire to connect the balls. I just used the chain as 5 links and glued the balls directly to the chains. It's much faster and will give you the same look!
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
Mine is still individual link track. Last year, during a field exercise, I completed: 3x HKCW Leopard 1 sets (plastic), 4x HKCW M113 sets (plastic), 2x Fruil Centurion sets (metal), 1x Fruil Bradley sets (metal) and 1x AFV Club T-26 sets (plastic).
It took about 3 hrs a day for three weeks to get them finished, and the rest of my section now thinks I'm insane.
Yes, ModlrMike, that was during your up-training!
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi guys

I must be strange. :-) Maybe its just me. but the most tedious, most annoying thing I find about modelling is waiting for my order to appear on my door step. Everything else is just a way to relax, and get away from the real world for a few hours.
Harry
antoniop
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 351 posts
Armorama: 319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

According to the dictionary, it means too long, boring and monotonous. Which leads me to the question for you all: What is your most tedious aspect of modelling?

Mine used to be individual tracks and tank wheels. But now I have a new winner - IDF chain and ball armor. Oh my God! :-) I am currently building the Merkava IV from Legend - amazing kit, by the way. I am done with the turret and now onto the chain and balls. Let's just say I watched an entire hockey game last night and completed a whopping 3 sets. Three down, 57 to go!! :-)

Anyone else feel the "pain?"

-Felix

I have to agree... I'm finishing mine to enter the MoM and I have to say that ball and chain armor is the most daunting work it can be done in armor.
After that, making the Friul tracks for it was a walk in the park...
The second most tedious thing it HAS to be achieving the correct IDF color :-) :-) :-)
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The second most tedious thing it HAS to be achieving the correct IDF color

Ha isn't that true! That and SCC15 seem to be the gordian knot of modeling!

Jeff
antoniop
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With the Merk I Hezbollah and Fatah discovered that a well placed RPG on the turret base could be a killing hit.
They would let the tanks pass by and hit them from behind on the turret ring.
With the Merk II they introduced this ingenious armor that could detonate an RPG before hiting the turret base.
It proved effective against Sagger missiles too.
They also added movement sensors on the turret sides and on top of the cannon so they can spot any activity in a 360ª range around the tank for those guys that let them pass and try to hit the tanks from behind on a urban warfare scenario.

Very clever but terrible to reproduce in 1/35.
1/48 Markavas anyone?
Eisen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
I can't wait to see one of these Legend merk 4's finished. Come on guys!
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:03 PM UTC
http://www.afvmodeller.com/next/index.htm

Have you guys seen this months AFV Mag...

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:18 PM UTC
Well I think the modelkasten tracks for my cromwell are the winner. Very good tracks, very nice onces finished, but it took ages to put them together
antoniop
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't wait to see one of these Legend merk 4's finished. Come on guys!

You asked for one.... you got one hehe

Not yet complete but only some details are missing. Hope you like it...
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
The most tedious part of a model for me are the rubber road wheels. Cleaning/painting them is a real chore for me.

I do the roadwheels first and with them out of the way, I can enjoy the rest of the build,
adamkobrien
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum.....so I thought I would give my 2 cents worth here.
I agree, the ball and chain armour on the Merk is a BIG pain to put together, but with a little patience, the finished product really adds a lot of interest to the rear of the tank. I reckon they look great!!

Adam
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
I dunno if I can top putting together Ball-and-Chain Armor, but I sure don't look forward to cleaning up individual track links. That chore really dampens the enthusiam for me...

Gunnie
antoniop
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
It's the same Adam O'Brien that made the amazing kit featured in AFV Modeller??
The article about you build was my ultimate reference on color, weathering and overall look of the tank. I downloaded the article (paying of course) just to see how it was done.
Excellent build. I would be happy if I could reach half that quality
 _GOTOTOP