_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What shade of brown for WW1 British armour?
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi guys i'm building Cecil Sewell VCs Whippet, and I want to paint to paint in the correct shade of brown, can you guys help?!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC
From what I've read, there is no concensus on any correct color for British tanks in WW I.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:06 PM UTC
There doesn't appear to be any record of the specified colour, the closest I've seen quoted is a mention of 'mud brown' in describing tanks at Arras in 1917.

The downloadable book available HERE (thanks Tarok!) shows the Whippet in the Army Museum in Brussels which still has its original paint. Of course this has darkened and oxidised somewhat over the years.

Tarok used Vallejo Dark Earth on his Whippet, and it looked pretty good, so you could consider brown.

Tarok's Whippet

The Osprey New Vanguard on Russian Civil War tanks states that British tanks went over to khaki green at the end of the war, but doesn't support that statement with anything resembling evidence.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 03:30 PM UTC
David
Leaping in here, but thanks to you and Tarok for posting some really great downloadable books as there are a few ones there than just the Whippet and the T55 Enigma one is really useful to my interests.

Hope to see the Whippet Darren as you progress as it is great to see the early vehicles that have evolved in such a short space of time.

John
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
As far as I know, it may be a 'dark chocolate brown'. Anyway your guess what that is is as good as anybodys! After I weathered my stuff, I can't tell exactally what color I started with anyway and I built the thing. So take a shot and have fun!
capnjock
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 06:17 AM UTC
In response to this same question on Missing Lynx, the guys, one of who was Mike Starmer, suggested:

4 x Hu29 + 1 x Hu98 (Humbrol)
or
4 x XF52 + 1 x XF10 (Tamiya)

John
 _GOTOTOP