_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon AMoM (Pilgrim)
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hi Chaps and Chapesses,

Here's my entry for this month. It is Tamiya's 1/35 King Tiger (Porsche Turret). Eduard PE zimmerit, Eduard PE, Modelkasten tracks.

I built it for the MEOW Campaign, and there is a thread showing it in build here.

Hope you enjoy it - I think it's my best effort so far

There are a lot more pics (including more close ups) in my Gallery

Sean
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hi sean,a job well done.very nice model.

karl
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 04:19 PM UTC
Sean, that a very nice job, good luck in the competition.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC
Gday Sean
She's a monster! One of the best I've looked at on the site...
The mud is quite convincing, and not overdone.
Shold the pioneer tools look so bright and shiny? I think a darker shade mebbe gunmetal would appear better...
Do the handles have a wood grain in them? If so, then a dark wash would bring it out nicely too! The stock on that MG34 thingy looks great, and I wouldn't imagine the tool handles to be much different in fininsh, except for maybe looking more worn...
Going to drop it into a diorama?
Best of luck~ I think you have a real show here!
Cheers
Brad
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
Looks like you have a serious contender here! excellent work.
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
This is an excellent build, camo, weathering all well done. I agree with a few comments on the tools, unless theyre brand new from Home Depot they shouldnt be silver. Base them either black or burnt umber and give them some slight rust and highlights of metal.
The sighting device on this one is correct on the Porsche turret,according to Jentz and Doyle both.
Again, wonderful job and some sewrious competition.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 12:41 AM UTC
Nice one Sean. Im not usually a fan of etched zimmerit .... its too understated IMO ... but you managed to bring out, the best of it!
Will you be putting this eventually on a base ... the white towel is not that realistic of a setting ?
Good luck in the MOM!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Great job Sean. A very impressive King Tiger you have got there.
How was the Eduard zimmerit to work with ?
Andy
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have to say i agree about the pioneer tools. The metal on them is actually a mix of silver and matt black enamel. It looked a more gun metal shade when wet, but it definitely dried too silver. The stock of the MG34 was my first ever attempt at getting woodgrain by brushing on and then brushing off oil paint. I'm pleased with the result there, but this was the last thing I painted on the kit. I reckon I'd better go back and look at the tools again. I don't want to make them too weathered though, because I want the tank to look like it's getting ready for its first action. See below.

Ken, you're bang on the money about the PE zimm around the hull MG. After I fitted it I sat for a long time and thought about the best way to fill those grooves. I even had a go at masking it up and filling them, but ultimately I bottled out because I was so concerned about affecting the zimmerit finish. It shouldn't be a problem in the future because I don't anticipate using PE zimm again.

Andy, by and large the PE zimm was easy to work with. I had no fit issues at all, and attached it with gererous amounts of gel type superglue. I'm not sure i'd recommend it though: look at the hull MG34 and read Ken's completely accurate feedback about that. Also the finish is very regular and probably too shallow. Furthermore, it's impossible to model chipped zimm if you're using a PE set. I'm about to embark on Dragon's Panther A (Late) - I suspect the same kit you're entering this month. I'm using the Atak set for this, which will be my first time with resin zimm. How did you find your build? - it looks very good and will provide very stiff competition for this KT! I'm only using the resin zimm because of the particular patterns of zimm found on Panthers - I'm not sure I could properly replicate that with putty. For Tigers with a standard horizontal pattern I think I am OK with putty from now on, having tried it on two Tiger I's (the first one ended up in the bin, but this was the second one .)

Frank & Brad, it will be going into a diorama. It'll be called "A New Ride" and set in summer 1944. I have assembled a crew who will be proudly posing in front of their fantastic new tank while a propaganda corps camera man takes a picture. I'm half way through painting the figs and have the photographer's Kubel to build next. Then shells, fuel barrels, and a tree (almost finished - needs the leaves tinting). I'll give you a heads up when it's done.

Thanks again for the feedback lads,

Sean
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Good looking Tiger Sean!
Greetz Eric
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada