_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign Idea: Operation Choo Choo?
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:08 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

What do you guys think about starting a campaign with railed vehicles? Any scale civil or military. You guys in?

WC
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi
I think its a great idea. All sorts of trains are rarely seen in dio settings, so it could be interesting to see a collection of dios - or trains without scenic bases.

Perhaps adding tracks or other 'train-like'-stuff like trainstations to the project could be a criterion?

Simon
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
I'm all for that... stand alone or diorama... just anything with railed vehicle involved...

So what do you guys say? Yay or nay?

WC
panzer67
Visit this Community
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 11:03 AM UTC
completly agree with the campaign.

more "models on rails"

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi Benjamin.
Im half-interested. What I mean is ... it will depend on when the start date is, and how long we have to build it!
I have 2 ongoing campaigns, and want to have these completely finished before Id start another.
So if it doesnt start before October .. that would be one hurdle.

I really cant see how rail items can be a stand alone object. They need to sit on tracks, which need to be set in stones, which need to be weathered, need signs of life/undergrowth/etc. So, considering this, the time-frame would need to be around 6 months!

Im not trying to make rules for the campaign. These are just my own criteria to so I know its possible. If I join a campaign, I want to be sure I have a realistic shot of completing it.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
Good idea.You can get armor into it by recreating the post war use of a Stug 3 with a coupler attached to it,being used as an ersatz locomotive.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
I have to agree on what Frank said, the right time, and I'm in ... got a BR52 waiting for winters come.

Cheers
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 01:25 AM UTC
If it starts next year, Im in. I got me a Dragon Leopold waiting to be made.

WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
Thanks for your interest guys... I too have the same problem because I also have 3 project going until the end of the year. I was thinking the project can start later this year and ended sometime middle of next year. If this sounds good to you guys and more ppl sign up, then I will try to get this campaign going.

WC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
You could use the campaign for an excuse to pre-order that 35th scale DORA. :-) :-)
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
Anyone else interested in this campaign? The campaign wont be starting until next year and will end in July 2007.

If more people are interested and willing to sign up then I will submit the campaign.

WC
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
I have some railroad kits lying around here and here. Some Revell, some Airfix ( ex kitmaster).

SO.... i can keep those in the box till next year

Yes I am interested
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 09:06 AM UTC
I'll see if I can get my dad interested. He has kind of fallen out with other projects. Maybe this can be a kick to get him back in.

Jeff
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hey boys and girls,

Campaign has been submitted. I will let you gents know if gets approved or not.

Basically you can build anything that's on rail in any scale dio or not, OOB or super detailed, newbie and seasoned vet all welcome, military or civilian, accurate or not... bottom line is to have fun building choo choos.

The starting date is from 1/01/2007 ~ 7/01/2007

Once approved, I will cook up a pretty ribbon so you can show it off to your mommy.

WC
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
If more people jump on board, I could be tempted as well. I have one of those little armored railroad cars that would fit the bill. I think it is the only thing I have that uses rails.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
i am definitely up for this! i'm in the middle of a couple of loco builds at the moment, and i have had my eye on getting an airfix or dapol evening star loco kit. i now have the perfect excuse!
exellent idea benjamin
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you guys think about starting a campaign with railed vehicles? Any scale civil or military. You guys in?

Another interesting idea...

I can see it rolling...

Jim
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:20 AM UTC
With the club member discount and somehw getting a job that actually pays money and lasts for more than 2 days; I might finally afford that BR52 unless the Hood grabs me first.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 01:10 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Question; If it contains railway tracks would that count?

Question; Was there a different size in the British and German track gauge - I imagine there was?

I'm thinking a British Dockyard scene here with the tracks coming on to the quey and some other stuff but not necessarily any goods wagons or trains, as I don't know of any British stuff in 1.35 - YET!!!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 06:15 AM UTC
Alan,

I'm not sure about the difference sizes between British and German rail systems. As for this campaign the only requirement is to have a railed vehicle.... and yes, even British ones! :-)

I think the idea you have is great! how bout build that and add a flatcar to the diorama?

WC
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi WC,

OK I'm in then, I can figure out the track size as I find out more about railway stuff. We have narrow gauge and broad gauge (I thing) here in England. The narrow gauge was often used in factories and places like that but I've see broad gauge stuff running right to the end of a pier.

I'll work on something to put on the rails once size can be clarified. I'll do a post on Modelgeek ans see what comes up. Mind you at the rate I build I might not get finished in time but it will be fun trying!!!!!!

:-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 08:46 AM UTC
Al, last I recall, euro guage was the same for both england and germany...rail cars shouldn't be any different...unless you toss in the american varient. Mind you, this is purely going by what I have of LGB rolling stock that's deemed as Euro and German. A google search seems to be in order I think.
Someone afew posts back said they didn't think a given railcar/engine could stand alone...why not? I've seen tanks here on site that had no base and they looked good....one doesn't need a base/diorama to make the subject look good..it would only be a compliment &/or accessory to it.

I say count me in for this build. Just to define the perameters, does it have to be a kit or scratchbuilt...not modified LGB, Aristo, Delton, Lionel and the like?
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I say count me in for this build. Just to define the perameters, does it have to be a kit or scratchbuilt...not modified LGB, Aristo, Delton, Lionel and the like?

Bob, ANYTHING YOU ENJOY BUILDING! The only requirement is to build a vehicle on rail. This campaign is more about discover railroad modeling and have a blast building it!

WC
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

If there was a standard European size that was the same in Britain in the 1940's then that will be great. I have a post running on mdoelgeek to see what come up.

Cheers

Al
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
To my knowledge,

the railroad gauge in Britain is the same as on mainland Europe AFAIK. Otherwise the Eurostar and Canal tunnel would not work. And as the Eurostar can get to Brussels and Paris from London Waterloo over already existing track in England (though they are laying a new high speed line to St. Pancras) and I doubt the British have relaid their complete railway system since the war on a different gauge, and the gauge on mainland Europe in Belgium, France and Germany is the same, I would guess that the gauge in Britain is the same as well. And has been for a long time!

To my knowldege, within Europe, the only ones running a different gauge are the Russians (and might be (parts) of Poland. For most of Europe, the problem is not so much railway gauges as width restrictions. IE Norwegian railway-cars are too wide to run on Dutch double track, as they woul collide with oncoming trains, and possibly railroad signs...

I like the idea of the campaign, but am absulotely not sure whether I want to join (time constraints). I am not sure how the Dutch will get their PzH 2000 in Afghanistan. If through Russia that could give a few neat ideas for a diorama...
 _GOTOTOP