For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
King Tiger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
Joined: April 05, 2003
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 06:27 PM UTC
Thanks to Pilgrim we can see this King Tiger up close and personal. It was his entry for the July Dragon Armour Model of the Month contest. Thanks Sean.

King Tiger!

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Joined: February 04, 2005
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
Very nice model, the only thing that detracts from it is the non-filled gaps around the resin zim add ons.

Removed by original poster on 08/04/06 - 23:07:53 (GMT).
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Joined: May 09, 2006
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice model, the only thing that detracts from it is the non-filled gaps around the resin zim add ons.


Might be able to fix it a bit with some elmer's glue and a damp swab, does wonders for ship superstructure gaps.
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Joined: November 21, 2002
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:56 AM UTC
Nice paint work Sean. One other thing you might want to fix (if you haven't already) the hull ventilator cover, between the driver's and the radio op's hatches, is missing in the pics. If this is the Dragon kit it's part # E3

Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Joined: January 11, 2002
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
Love the finish on the rusty spare track links. Very nicely done. What's your secret?
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
Joined: November 20, 2004
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC
Thanks for posting this Vinnie - I'd only submitted the zip file as part of the rules for MoM at the time. Still, it was a nice surprise to see it as a feature on my return from holiday!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I can't believe I missed the ventilator cover! :-) I've just gone back to the instructions and spotted it. I reckon it shouldn't be too difficult to paint and weather in. It's the Tamiya kit, BTW - I missed out part D15.

I accept the need for filler at the edges of the zimm - I was too worried about filling the grooves in the zimm as well. I won't be using PE zimm again, now I've tried other techniques.

I was pleased with how the links on the turret turned out. I've struggled with these before on 2 Tiger I's that I've done, here and here. They looked too red - something Vinnie commented on when I posted pics of them. They were done with a black base coat, then burnt umber oils with Mig medium rust pigment. To get this, better, finish was much easier. I just painted them Tamiya red brown, washed with a mix of black and burnt umber oils and then applied Mig light rust pigment.

Since these pics were taken I've added a grain to the pioneer tools and darkened and matted the metal on them.

It's set to go in a diorama, once I've finished the last few figures, a Kubel and associated supplies and stowage.

Thanks again for the feedback lads, and to Vinnie for posting the feature.