Bill's swimmwagen dio
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hallo,

Here some pics of the dio for my swimmwagen....its my first attemp to post foto's on the English armorama site....

The work is still in progres, ones the gronwork is done the swimmy needs his last detailing and the last step is to put the water in to the river or lake, i don't now what i gone take a river or a lake because i haven't chosen a time line for the dio.....maybe a scene in Normandie bevore D-Day

hope you like it

greetz den Bill
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
Looks pretty good, so far.
One thing, though, get rid of that old Tamiya gerry can with the two handles. Nothing like that existed. There are plenty of correct gerry cans from newer kits or in aftermarket sets. If I were on your side of the pond, I'd send you one, just because.
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
Looking very nice so far Bill,the only sugestion i have is maybe put some of the reeds where the vehicle is situated,they can be bent down to the ground in the direction of the vehicle travel to give a feeling of movement.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:19 AM UTC
Helo

Thanks for the reply really great...

@ Al you're right about that, but a the moment i have't any others....so this two will must take the deal...

@steve Not a bad idea.....not bad i must take that under consideration....maybe i'll do it ....time will tell

greetz den Bill
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
Nice swimer. The groundwork is unique, I haven't seen anything with that style of rocks layed out that way. With the added water I can't wait to see the 'flow'

My one added comment is to not forget to dust the windscreen to match the rest of the weathering, it's a bit clean.

Please show us the end result.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
Very nice straight forward dio! As Scott said will be very interesting with the addition of the water. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Cheers Kevin
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
Looks really good, I like the ground work and layout. But like Al, I agree with the Jerry can issue. Easy enough to thin down the outside two, and add a third center one for your next project. Italeri make a much better and extremely affordable set for future reference.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hi Bill,

Nice job !
Did you use real stones for that? Should be pretty heavy for such a small dio !

Cheers

Claude

bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 05:15 PM UTC
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the comment so far, i must say there are some of the comment that i must take under consideration....there are really some good idea's in it...thanks for that!!

@claude
Yes the stones are real.....the weight of the dio is still quit acceptebale :-)

Today i add some static grass and some flowers to the scene i also add some green on the tree strunk......now i have to wait o let it dry

grt den Bill
cbuk
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC
Hi

Nice looking Schwimmwagen - I tried one once and madea right meal of it!!
One small thing I noticed is that you have an SS-LAH insignia on the rear, but the number plate is Wehrmacht!

CB
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi Chris

You get me on this one.... it would be better if i add one of the 3 ss panzer group...ok, oh... maybe you now if the 3 ss panzer group was actif in Normandie before D-Day???
Thanks for the reply...

greetz den Bill
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 09:04 AM UTC
Very nice progress Bill. I'm assuming it will be a fairly muddy river/lake with sediment. If it is then you can ignore the following small nitpick comments.

The stones are very well done but I'm a bit unsure why you left out stones in the center. as you have placed stones at both edges away from the vehicle. If the water is clear the stones will look as though they were 'slightly arranged'. the other nitpick is if the water is clear then a few of the stones will seem to be hanging in the sense that river stones are normally embedded in the river/pond bed due to the settling of sediment around it. No problems as it can be easily solve by just adding soil around and in-between them.

There's a bit of space left vacant at the corner opposite the vehicle. Again not critical but it does help to tie the story and composition better to have something there. Perhaps a figure waiting on the opposite bank or some soldier wading in front of the vehicle to test how deep and muddy the water is.

All in all it is coming out nicely and water based dios are always interesting. Good luck and hope to see the finished pics.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 01:23 PM UTC
I really like the grass, Bill. What have you used?
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi

thanks again for the reply....great!!!

@beachbum
You're points are not bad...but i still figured it out what its gona be...a lake or a little streaming rivier....ya the stones in the middle are left out, i wanted to creat more de depht in the dio.....maybe i'll add some stones in the middle as well....or the place where the swimmy goes in to the water could be a place where people fish, or come on shore with their small boats, so they thake away some stones from the middle to land easy on shore.... :-) its just a thought!!!!
The open space you mencioned....maybe i'll could add some figie to it, we will see????

@spooky
For the grass i used "Grain field and reeds" from BUSH (Getreidefeld en Schilf) its comes in a little box and its cost around 5 euro...great stuff easy to use...all the grass is in one block delivered, so you just pull the amoud you need away from the block...easy

see you den Bill
cbuk
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi Bill

Leaving the insignia as LAH should be fine (I would say!), but just change if you can the number plate pre-fix from WH - to SS -.

I am only a novice, so I am not sure how easy this would be but some of the experts on here will be able to advise

But hey, , why not just say it is "borrowed"! by the SS!!?

Cheers
CB
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi Chris

No problem...i have some numberplate's off the SS laying around here...i will replace them...but first i gone finich my dio...

greetz den Bill
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi

Again a step closer to the end point....small update.
I coverded the rest of the groundwork with stones...that's better now ( thanks Beachbum ) I added also a new tree trunk..the fisrt was a total dissater...added some green on the new tree....whit glue and fine zand then painted....painted the wooden wheel and a wash and drybrush....

Next step is to finish the tree trunk with a wash and drybrush, and playing whit some pigments on the dry ground.....Oh and also order my crystal resin online...

that's all for now grtz den Bill
 _GOTOTOP