Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
ACUTR ---Scatchbuilders Campaign
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
I've been testing plastic adhesive compatability with different materials. VHS tape case plastic is compatible with styrene using label brand hobby liquid cement, Rez-N-Bond should work too. And of course, cyanos.

This shopuld afford me a cheap and sturdy chassis.

pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 05:06 AM UTC
Here are some progress shots of M54 5 ton conversion. Will have more soon.
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 06:53 PM UTC
All,
Well me and Pookie are about to start skipping off down the dark path of scratchbuilding :-) . Have gathered together some info plus found the modellers goldmine for tech reference (a former member of Pookie Troop) so it should end up technically correct .
Actually bought a model kit (really not my style) and thinking Mr Tamiya would have got this vehicle correct I have been comparing the kit pieces with my ref material and I'm amazed how crude a lot of the pieces are. Although I had planned on using the kit front axle and complete rear driveline, it now looks like I'll be scratching these parts as well, so much for a NBQB , these parts might have looked OK when covered with the body shell but on the Pookie its all out in the open and they just don't cut it.
Just two pics in the album at the 'mo, but with the planning phase complete ? it should be a green light on building very soon .

Hope everyones projects are going smoother than mine ?, and we get to see more 'in progress' shots soon.

Edit. Hmmm the link don't wanna work. So if you want to have a looksee just jump in via my selected link and click on Pookie. Sorry about that.
Thiazi
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:56 AM UTC
I would have entered my all scratchbuild (well.....99% :-) ) SU-76M but it is much too complete to be considered for this campaign (I'm just waiting for the wheels then off to paint) so I'm going to scratchbuild an AH-6 Littlebird from a Hughes 500 base kit. If anyone has suggestions for minute detail (I'm thinking loaded ammunition belts) I'm all ears as I'd rather not just buy the aftermarket stuff if I can scratch it.

-Thi
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC

#2 build

At long last ---gonna build my ""NELLIE""----after waiting 10years just looking --now building
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
Supplies have arrived (apart from some I ordered in the wrong size), so hopefully I'll have more pics after the weekend.

Currently working on rear suspension, and the front end. Along with my reference material I am using the AA LandRover Wolf front end as a guide.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 01:34 PM UTC
Got a bit more work done on the 6x6.

Sin ce I figure by the end I will have a lot of pics at various stages, I am putting them IN THIS THREAD
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC
Some more work completed on my Sci-Fi Dropship.

Side Framework.

Framework installed to floor.

Sidewall and front cabin wall attached.

Now need to work on the interior detail before painting the interior and closing up the roof.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 04:38 AM UTC

.....its done -------
.................."NELLIE"..................

Build seen at........http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/BARV/NELLIE---/ " TARGET="_blank"> http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/BARV/NELLIE---/

Bit late posting as it was done last month ---I forgot
Whew !!!!---3,000 rivets later
NOW !!....... ....what can I do next ????
:-) :-) :-)
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

ps....slipped this one in last week ...
.....02 BA 62.....the other was...00 ZR 31
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi people,

I havén´t showed anything till now, I was rather busy in other things...but here´s my advance report:

Trying to build the M41A3 of the Chilean Army in mid 80´s. For this, I´m using the old Tamiya kit as base, and a few things will be changed and added.

New front fenders, new antennas and antenna covers, straps, APU escape, wire cutters, mantlet dust cover, modified side storage bins with added styrene, added pericopes for the driver and so on....it´s a more simple conversion than I envisioned before, bit with a lot of scratch work with tiny metal parts

I have to replace the mantlet cover, because it´s a too bulky, this will be shown in a few days

Cheers
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 05:11 PM UTC
Hi folks, here´s new update....this time some corrections (changed the mantlet cover, changed the antennas for new metal ones, added some metal parts in the glacis and added a MG tripod in the bag, straps made of tin foil), primed and started painting

Almost there....and I´m thinking about my 2nd entry

Cheers
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi folks, now it´s finished. Final paint and weathering (Mig Pigments, chalk pastels and Tamiya Weathering Master). Also paint the driver figure.

Now for the 2nd entry.

Pics:

Cheers
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 01:33 AM UTC
I've been considering scratchbuilding a Russian AT-T transporter. Looks like it'll be a lot of work, since I don't have any good technical drawings. Depending on how my search goes, I may want to jump on this as my first scratchbuild. If anyone could help me out with resources I'd be very grateful..

yes, I know there is a kit...no I don't have $200 burning a hole in my pocket.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC

I have some drawings with scale also some kit build pics---e-m me please ....soon ...as I will be off-line after Thursday
aye
BARV
(GOSMG0
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:37 AM UTC
Virtually all my builds will come to a complete halt for about 2 months after next week. Won't be home for more than a day until mid Jan next year.

I may take my figure sculpting stuff with me though.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi, everyone, It's been over a month since my last post. Some of you are really kicking A on your builds! I'm building the cranemobile if you already forgot. Ive been gathering materials and testing a few. This is what I have so far.

Parts for the chassis and rear axle.

CD jewel cases are great for acrylic source. Compatible with hobby liquid cemets and with IM styrene, and VHS tape plastic. It will fog up with super glue and hobby cement like a canopy and windshield do.

talk to you all later again.

Bud1
Visit this Community
Wexford, Ireland
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi, finally decided on my scrathbuild and made a start. I picked the easiest of several subjects I had in mind to make sure I get at least one finished! This will be a Beaverette MkIII finished in the light grey of the Irish army during WW2. It's hard to imagine a shape more suited to sheet styrene ... this is the basic shell with a pic of a British MkIII so you get the idea. I've done some detailing since but it still needs a turret and some wheels. I'll post some more pics when it's ready for painting.

Regards,
Rich
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC

Hi all , very remiss of me not being on but have been busy with Telford (majic) and some club business ...not to mention the dreaded *LURGIES *...must be on third set ------but enough of my death-bed sojourn
Guess you are all beavering away ..... :-) ....so lets have an up -date please before we get lost in the CRIMBLE festivities...yep nothing gets done in December :-) ---been there
Klaus --looking good --see you have surmounted the mantlet cover issue .....bit late now for me to say --but did you ever think of tissue ---I use "kitchen roll" and it comes up nice as "canvas" when painted --just a thought
Rich ....that is the best ever little" monster "to get anyone started on scratching ---it has everything thats required --from slab sides --angles --and funny sized cuts --brilliant ....looking fine
Hope to get back to the bench this week ---see what I have lying around --[only about 14 part builds ]...or even something new
Well th BARV's have gone to their new homes ---not quite as planned but "ces la vie"---pic of Barv 1 being handed over at the REME Museum ---

ME(?)--Brian Baxter (Historical Curator) and BARV --Museum Director : Lt Col IWJ Cleasby MBE

----hope to get pic from ATTURM -of BARV 2 when it is "cased"
PLEASE --stick a progress pic or two on --and **keep scratching**
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Thiazi
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
Just updating on my AH-6J build which is going along well.

The work so far has consisted of stripping the passenger compartment out of the Academy Hughes 500 helicopter that I'm using as the basis for the AH-6J. Also, removing the civilian standard windows on the 500 and fabricating the gun mount and rocket pods which are at the bottom right of the picture.

This pic shows the empty inside and my feeble attempt at a seat belt which I was unimpressed with and so didn't continue for the other seat (I think of it as a tech demo :-)

This shows all the previously mentioned components tacked on with electrical wiring to the rocket pods included. You may notice that there is a chain feed to empty hardpoints on the stub mount. I originally though this would be a continuity error becausewhy would there be a chain feed to a nonexistant gun but I've found a photograph that shows this so I should be in the clear

Next step will be assembling all the components and finishing up the painting.

Also, although it was started before the this campaign officially began and so can't technically be included, I'm rather proud of my almost 100% scratchbuilt SU-76M in 1:35 scale and I'm wondering if I can include it as an unofficial entry? A link to that thread can be found here:

SU-76M Scratchbuild

And its recent update thread:

SU-76M Update

Looking forward to a great build,

-Thi
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 06:38 AM UTC

Hey-up guys where are you all ?
Ok --I'm in "soapy-bubble "......been a bit under the weather for a bit then got involved with my own build
SO!!---what you all been doing for the last couple of months ---- need to find out if you are all still around ---sing -out and let me and the rest of the " Skywalkers" ... know how things are progressing .
Just finished my Trojan (plenty pics around )----here's one for the post

Need a roll-call .......
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:42 PM UTC
I have lacked motivation to work on my landrover 6x. Trying to finish off my Accurate Armour landrovers (damn their metal parts and unhelpful instructions .)

maybe doing some of my own project will prove to be a soothing change.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:28 AM UTC
BARV, tight model, man. What scale is this one? I'm still in this one, going back and forth between a couple projects. The cranemobile is still at chassis stage, but at least I don't have to scratch any suspensions. No leaf springs, no struts, no coils, haha.

lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi, I'm still here and still in. My 1:1 example (Centurion ARV) has been covered in snow since October and will probably remain so for another month. Until then, I'm working on two kick-start-myself campaign entries- a halftrack M16 for the.. uh.. halftrack campaign and a 1:35 Chinook for the Aeroscale Vietnam build. I'm not just joining the Dark side, I'm joining the sky-blue side, as well!
Once I'm sure that my tongue won't freeze to the ARV, I'll go up and take measurements and such and start A-cutting.
Cheers!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 05:04 PM UTC

There seems to be an error to get to the Campaign HQ PAGE ---UP-DATE........

http://www.modelgeek.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=158

I DON'T KNOW why it is like that now (got a >>>> ? >>>> AFTER the >>>php>>>)

Will put a warning out in a new post ..unless any-one can correct it --I can't ---no *edit *button
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
EDIT ***************Jim Fixed it*******************Page 1 OK
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
[quote]
Good to have you on board Todd ......... --Where you been ??
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)[/quote
TANKS Steve, glad to be on the path to the black hole. I've been quite detained with my geo. move further south. Now that I'm resettled and back on the bench, here is the latest. This has been a long time coming.!!! linkname