Hosted by Darren Baker
There Ever Been a 1 man AFV?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC
...a one-man AFV, scout, or FAV that's not a motorcycle or ATV since WW1? I don't mean a FAV or AFV with two seats. I mean a FAV or AFV that only seats one. If so, how did it fare in combat?
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC
I can't find the picture or link that I used to have bookmarked but the closest thing I think you're ever going to find is the machine gun armed bicycle that the Brits toyed with briefly. Asking one person to drive, fight, and command an AFV is a tall order.

Edit:

Check out this link: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/ and under Great Britain, Tankettes there's quite a few designs/attempts at 1-man tanks listed. Fascinating. Under "other vehicles" at the same site and category is the Armed Quadricycle, still one of my all-time favorites in terms of "wierd weapons".

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/GreatBritain/GB-Armored-PoweredQuadracycle-June1899.jpg

H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...a one-man AFV, scout, or FAV that's not a motorcycle or ATV since WW1? I don't mean a FAV or AFV with two seats. I mean a FAV or AFV that only seats one. If so, how did it fare in combat?

I'm not sure if it was a single person AFV, but the Germans were developing what was called Pz. Kleinzerstörer "Rutscher".

New Connection has a kit of this proposed idea:
http://www.new-connection.de/Pages/shop/35253.htm

It was never built, but looking at it's size, it sure is a small type of AFV. Armament was to be a PWK 8 H 63 smooth-bore gun firing fin-stabilized projectiles with effective range of 700 meters or regular 75mm KwK L/48 gun.

There are also the Borgward series of AFV's but those too were designed for more than 1 person.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
Haven't dug out my refernces, but the Ford Three Ton Tank of 1918 may have been a one-man machine. Used a Model T engine and armed with a machine gun. It was likely a deathtrap, and the end of the war meant that mercifully only a handful were built (but never used in action).
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
Tbanks for the replies. I agree that a one-man AFV would be a tall challenge and as such, shelved this project idea.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tbanks for the replies. I agree that a one-man AFV would be a tall challenge and as such, shelved this projject idea.

If 1 man Submarines have been used, why not 1 man AFV's?

The US is developing a new MBT manned by a crew of 2.

That 2 man tank is going to replace the Abrams.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:22 AM UTC
I think the USMC Ontos was a one-man AFV.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:35 AM UTC
Nope, sorry Peter.....believe it or not, the Ontos had a crew of three crammed into that tiny little space.

There was this one though - the British Carden Loyd Tankette. A 'between the wars' development that never reached production (I think....). It was more of a machine gun carrier that could run on tracks or wheels powered by a Model T engine.

armordawg
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

The Borgward Schwerer Ladungstrager (SDKFZ 301) had a crew of 1!!!

John J. Szczypinski
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Haven't dug out my refernces, but the Ford Three Ton Tank of 1918 may have been a one-man machine. Used a Model T engine and armed with a machine gun. It was likely a deathtrap, and the end of the war meant that mercifully only a handful were built (but never used in action).

The Ford 3 ton was a two man tank. There's one currently in the foyer of the Patton Museum.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 09:37 AM UTC
While far from an AFV or FAV, how about the Mechanical Mule? Was there ever any MMs with 106mm rifles or MGs on the bed that were used as rudimentary "guntrucks?" Now that's really a bare-bones GUN-TRUCK! :-)
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 03:40 PM UTC
In "Britains Wonderful Fighting Forces", in the army section there is a painting of "The Mechanised Army", which amongst other vehicles (including a Guy FAT & a "Dragon" gun hauler) shows a "one-man utility tractor". It looks like a small tank (it's fully tracked), but the driver is exposed wearing a "tin hat" so persumably it was intended for field use. I have no other details, & I've never seen any mention of it elsewhere. Many of the details of other vehicles are probably deliberately vague for security reasons. I presume it was intended to accompany infantry & carry gear.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In "Britains Wonderful Fighting Forces", in the army section there is a painting of "The Mechanised Army", which amongst other vehicles (including a Guy FAT & a "Dragon" gun hauler) shows a "one-man utility tractor". It looks like a small tank (it's fully tracked), but the driver is exposed wearing a "tin hat" so persumably it was intended for field use. I have no other details, & I've never seen any mention of it elsewhere. Many of the details of other vehicles are probably deliberately vague for security reasons. I presume it was intended to accompany infantry & carry gear.

Might it be one of the vehicles on this page?

Tankettes

Books of that period do contain a good deal of misleading stuff, like suggesting that the Vickers Medium was the main tank of the BEF and in one case that the French 2C heavy tanks saw action. The 'Wonder book of soldiers' (c.1940) is one that I do remember having.

David
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
David,

It looks a bit like the Carden Lloyd one man tankette, but sort of squatter somehow, & the centre of the tracks was enclosed (ie the suspension system couldn't be seen). Of course, it may never have existed in the metal, it could have been artistic licence. The same book does feature the Vickers Medium quite prominently, but a few did see action in North Africa in 1940 against the Italians (dug in near Mersa Matruh if memory serves). Likewise the Mk I Matilda features in some pictures (but there is no text identifying it). It also pictures a vague "Cruiser Tank", which may have been a Valentine or A9 or something, it's quite hard to tell. No mention of the Matilda II- it must have been on the secret list still!!!
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David,

It looks a bit like the Carden Lloyd one man tankette, but sort of squatter somehow, & the centre of the tracks was enclosed (ie the suspension system couldn't be seen). Of course, it may never have existed in the metal, it could have been artistic licence. The same book does feature the Vickers Medium quite prominently, but a few did see action in North Africa in 1940 against the Italians (dug in near Mersa Matruh if memory serves). Likewise the Mk I Matilda features in some pictures (but there is no text identifying it). It also pictures a vague "Cruiser Tank", which may have been a Valentine or A9 or something, it's quite hard to tell. No mention of the Matilda II- it must have been on the secret list still!!!

Thinking about it, the title of the book sounds familiar, I'll have to have look and see if I've got it.

And you're right about the Vickers Medium in North Africa - BTW if you ever see a book called (something like) Japan's War in colour you'll find a colourised pic of some Vickers on the range at somewhere like Lulworth captioned as being Japanese tanks in action in China

David
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
The mechanical mule was used by the Marines to transport infantry crew served weapons and their ammunition (as well as supplies, etc.) While they were definitely used to transport the 106's, the the full crew for the 106 went with it....usually on foot.

In my opinion the only true one-man AFV is a Marine rifleman with a flak jacket, helmet and a bad attitude.

Semper Fi,
Whiskey6
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 11:44 AM UTC
Here's one :-)

NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:25 PM UTC
Good one!! Perfect.... :-) :-)
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
:-) :-) Good one! Yeah, and I sold my A-10 unbuilt not too long ago!

Anyway, I gave up on this idea, but thanks for the suggestions.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David,

Is it this picture?

Utility tractor

The only vaguely similar vehicle is the Vickers Utility Tractor used by the Belgian Army

Pic from Tanks!

David
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
Yep, that's the very one David. Perhaps it was an artists impression of the Vickers vehicle. I particularly like the "anti-tank tank", it's anyones guess what this is meant to represent! It looks like a Bren Gun carrier on steroids! I don't ever remember seeing any pictures or reading of British use of these one-man tractors in action BTW.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
The Anti-Tank Tank looks like a Vickers Mark VI hull apparently fitted with the gun from the Vickers Medium (the only 3pdr I can think of). Not something that saw service in the British Army (that I know of). Perhaps an export item?

And I'm pretty sure that the Utility Tractor wasn't used by us either.

David
 _GOTOTOP