_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Pak 40 with Heer Gun Crew #6249
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
Good morning. I have read the reviews on Perth Miliatry Modelling site on the above kit and the concerns that the trails are 1/2 in too long. I was wondering if Dragon has corrected the kit since the ones on my local hobby store are kit # 6249.03 ??

Darryl
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 08:01 PM UTC
The kit I have, 6249-03 (on the bar code), has the 'shortened' trailing arms in it, so yes Dragon did correct their initial mistake.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
Thanks Eric

I went ahead and picked up the kit. You can never have too many Pak 40's

Darryl
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 07:26 PM UTC
Was about to buy this kit so thats great to know. Also heard not to test fit the rubber tyres in another forum but do you have any other pointers for the kit?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
James,
take a look at this:

Rob Lively's PaK40

Vinnie
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 08:05 PM UTC
Cheers thats great,

I also planning on inflicting a bit of battle damage to mine, does anyone have any pics of a pak 40 thats been hit by a shell/enemy fire?
Would it penetrate both shields or just the outer one?
Was planning on showing mine with a field repair by having a bit of old photo-etch plate bolted/welded over the outer hole. Also want to go with the dragon kit as the different wheels gave me the idea that the damaged side has a replacement wheel taken from another damaged pak 40 in one of the different styles and with different camouflage, thought this should make it a quite interesting scene and show that the gun has seen a lot of combat but the crew have lovingly repaired her. Also shows they are 'die-hard' soldiers who wouldn't abandon it, as I want to show them surrounded in a bombed out house but still fighting on.

Any help much appreciated!

James
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi James: The gun shields on the various paks were designed to withstand shrapnel and small arms fire. Any sort of direct HE round or armor piercing projectile would go right through -- seriously endangering anyone behind the shield. The poor Pak crew who got zeroed in by enemy elements didn't have much of a survivability chance, I'd imagine. Attacking tankers would pepper Paks with HE to kill 'em.

If you're depicting one that got shot up, you might want to depict more damage or somehow show one that escaped a close call.

Try to get a book called "Panzerjager" by Folkestad, William B.

He recounts Pak veterans' stories. Interesting reading
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thanks Roy,
I thought as much. Maybe If an armour peircing shell was fired at long distance it would create the damage i'm thinking about, not quite having enough force to make it through? Or possibly a dud shell penetrated the armour but didn't explode? Wars are full of close calls like this I imagine. Otherwise I suppose the gun crew could have got the gun 'second-hand' as the original crew would have been seriously injured as you mention. That could help explain the repairs perhaps?

Lots to be thinking about,

Thanks for your help,

James
 _GOTOTOP