1025 Humvee questions
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I've a Tamiya Humvee 1025 and relative PE of eduard....referring to this combination can I use a swamper tires on it?Is it possible that a 1025 mount swampers?any photos?or this is completely wrong?(If I remember swamper are not in use now right?).
About gun shield.... Which type I need to use?any suggestion to make it?

Thanks

Ciro

Ciao a tutti!!!
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Depends on what you want. If you want just an M1025, then no to the swamper tires. Those are used by SF Dumvees. Nearly all humvees use "aggressive" tires. Multiple resin manufacturers make them, including Blast Models and MIG Productions (MIG I believe is the best).

There are not too many simple M1025s left. Most have been upgraded in some way. Many M1114 uparmored humvees are in service. The standard gunshield looks like the one in the picture below

Blast Models makes a resin copy and I have a templete provided by a fellow Armorama member. PM me with your email address and I can get it

On many M1114s (MIG Productions makes a conversion for Tamiya's kit), there is a gun shield that goes all the way around the turret.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/jun05/humvee61305.jpg

If you go to www.army.mil/armyimages and search for humvee, you'll find some interesting images.

Jeff
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
I cant say I recall seeing swampers on any 1025's. The only Humvees I know of that used those were the spec op versions. But, there are SO many differant variations of the Hummer running around now, its quite possible there is one with them on it running around as we speak. I have seen three differant types of gun sheilds on the hummers. One is the normal style hummer sheild you see on most humvees and gun trucks, the other is the style on the M113, and there are also differant scratch built sheilds built in theatre. So, I would say build it how you like, you probably cant go wrong.

PS - you should be able to fabricate a gun sheild out of sheet styrene without much of a problem. If not Blast models makes a set. Have fun!
rcnpthfndr
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
i think the standard tire is the wrangler MT tires. i'll check the motorpool monday. i hadnt seen any of the alternate tires on the SF guys HMMWV's, doesnt mean they are not out there.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
Swampers have been used, may still be in use in some places, but the Army issued a Safety of Use Message instructing units to replace all Swampers with standard issue tires. Sidewalls on the Swamper is considered weaker than standard issue tires. It's not good to wear a set of sexy looking tires just to have them blow out when you have to hop a curb.

For the standard M1025, it still is in regular standard use, and is likely to be for a while. Units not deployed still use it as the normal scout truck for training and whatnot. The majority of the M1114's are in theater, and if there are some back, they predominantly are issued to the MP units, with some being issued on down as units go through reset.

So, you still could do a plain jane M1025, and gear it up, if you wished.

Jed
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
The use of Swamper tires is potentially career suicide. We have enough freindly fire incidents as well as non-combat related accidental deaths. For various reasons, the chain of command has made the decision that they are unsafe for use on the HMMWV and forbid their use.

Can you imagine the flak that a family of an injured or deceased soldier would bring on the US Government if his HMMWV had some sort of tragic accident while using banned Swamper tires? Everyone from the unit commander, platoon leader, vehicle commander and even the mechanic who installed the tires would be liable.

Even if the tires weren't the cause of the incident, the investigations would try to affix blame to someone to let the family know the "responsible" parties were punished.

Just about every death or injury that is not strictly combat related is becoming a witch hunt.
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
Here is an interesting photo I found on Webshots.com. ITs an M998 from Afghanistan. CHeck out the tires. Never saw any M998's with swampers until now.

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
What are the potential hazards with the Swamper tires, are they a defect…simply fall apart or are they just to over aggressive of a tire.

Joe
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 03:39 AM UTC
hey guys thanks for your replies.....I remember that I saw a photo of a 1025 with swamper in Afghanistan but I don't remember where I saw it.Intersting the picture of 998...thanks in particular to JEFF EDGAR for his e-mail I've much appreciated it...Thanks Jeff!!!!!and thanks to everybody that help me!!!

ciao a tutti

Ciro
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the potential hazards with the Swamper tires, are they a defect…simply fall apart or are they just to over aggressive of a tire.

Joe

Here is a link to the safety message: Safety Of Use Message (SOUM).

Just imagine telling Mr. & Mrs. Smith that their son John died in a HMMWV accident because it was using tires that the Army deemed unsafe in 2004. Imagine being the one who made the decision to allow continued use of the tires after being directed not to.
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 04:12 PM UTC
About 1025...is it possible mount on it armored door of 1046?!(have they the same dimension?)or armored door for 1026 of eduard?I think it isn't wrong...right?
Can I place a grill on the window's door?!I've seen it on 1144....is it possible to do on the 1025 standard door o modified ones?
Can I use on the 1025 late style cupola?!Have you photos of non standard gun shield mounted on 1025?!
Is it possible that in reality various parts of humvee come from other destroyed or damaged humvees even if they're different version??

Ciro
Ehm sorry for poor English
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

About 1025...is it possible mount on it armored door of 1046?!(have they the same dimension?)or armored door for 1026 of eduard?I think it isn't wrong...right?

Both types of doors can be placed on an M1025, but will represent different vehicles.

If you use the Eduard M1026 set, you will be modeling am M1025 with the ASK armor kit. Make sure to use all of the Eduard bits and pieces, not just the doors, if you want an accurate model. By the way, the Eduard set is missing an interior armored partition between the back seats and the cargo compartment. You can scratchbuild it with sheet styrene. As an aside, the M1026 is just an M1025 with a winch on the front bumper.

If you use the doors from the M1046, you will convert your M1025 into an M1043. The M1043 has better armor than the M1025, from what I've read, but is nowhere near as well armored as the M1025 with ASK or, even better, an M1114.

Quoted Text

Can I use on the 1025 late style cupola?

No (as far as I know). From what I know, the "late type cupola" made by MIG (#35262) is only used on M1114s, M1116, and (I think) the new M1151s. I don't know why MIG sells it separately, since it really should only come with their M1114 conversion kit.

That said, you can use the "late type weapons ring with OIF modifications" made by Blast models (BL35050K). The Blast kit has the correct cupola for an M1025 and also includes a gun shield and an auxiliary weapons mount.

I hope this answered at least a few of your questions, Ciro.
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
Ciro,

All the info that Lucas (aka deskjockey) gave you was correct to my knowledge. I would only like to add one more thing. You have to remember that battle damage on humvees in iraq is a constant issue, and often, damaged humvees are parted out for their value in replacement parts. thats why when you look around at pictures, you see loads of differant humvees floating around. You might see one with a tan body and green hood, green and tan doors, etc. You also see lots of humvees that are modified by the troops themselves in theatre. They add things like sheet steel for additional armor, home made gun sheilds, armored doors etc. Go to webshots.com, and do a search for "gun truck and Iraq" and you should find a series of photos from a guy who goes by the name of "irocArmy". He is also a member here. He has lots of pictures of modified hummers in iraq. Basically what I am trying to tell you is, unless you are trying to depict a very specific vehicle you have phjotos or knowledge of, just build it the way you like it. Because, if you look hard enough, you will find just about every possible configuration of hummer somewhere in iraq. Also, I did see a picture once of a 1025 with metal screening over the door windows. Hope this helps.

PS - your English is fine!
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Better yet, here is some food for thought...........

I love the slogan on this one LMAO

Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi Gary and Lucas.....yours inputs are very important for me....Thanks!!!!So,you're informed about use and versions of humvee's I've other questions.
I'll build a M1025(tamiya)+Eduard PE+New tires(not swampers)
1)what is the common stowage that I can found on it?
2)Can a crew of Humvee introduce in the car non-standard weapons(like Ak-47 or Svd?!)
3)About common stowage...which set(in your opinion)is a good(and right and complete) kitkit's?!
4)Have windows particular colors(greenblue shadow?!) or they're simply clear?

Hey Guys.....thanks for your help....

Buona domenica!!!
Ciro
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 07:30 PM UTC
Although not Gary or Lucas, it's really going to depend on how you are going to portray it. The other question will be Army, or Marine Corps? I can only speak on what the Army might throw on there, I'm certain the Marine guys can chime in.

M1025's can be geared up in a variety of ways.

Non-deployed, non-training: Not much stowage, spare tire, maybe a fuel can or a box of MRE's. No weapon mounted.

Non-deployed, but training: weapon up, packed full of gear (amount depends on the size of the crew. 3 man crew of scouts would have at least 3 rucks, 3 duffle bags, other pesonal gear, plus cases of MRE's, jugs of water and fuel, spare tire, camo nets, etc. etc. etc.

OIF I move north: Packed to the gills with everything you'll need for as long as you'll need it, but where you can still functionally fight.

OIF I and beyond, after set in FOBs: sparse. Water, MRE's, spare tire, ammunition, small amounts of personal gear. The crew's main gear would be back at where they were sleeping.

Afghanistan, depends on what they are doing.

So it's really going to depend on what you are portraying them doing. For gear, though, I use a variety of sets, depending both on what's available, and if it meets the time period that I'm trying to portray. U.S. Military gear has evolved rapidly in the last couple of years, so by the type of gear being put on the vehicle, you will be dating yourself. What you put on there will also depend on what background the Soldiers are. As a tanker, I had a different loadplan for my trucks than my infantry counterparts the next unit over, which was still different from our scouts and mortar platoons. Not horribly different - everyone had a minimum requirement - but what you bring and where you put it has the flavor of the background of the Soldier. I'm certain there are things in a field artillery crewman's vehicle that wouldn't have been in mine.

So, set your scenario, and that will drive what you will have for gear on your truck.

Jed
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:25 AM UTC
I think Sarge pretty much summed everything up. I only wanted to mention that you could use an AK47 or Dragonuv in your model depending on what your trying to depict. Not long after the original invasion, there was a shortage of rifles for the US troops (both army and Marines). As a result, many troops were using captured AK47's. There was a whole show on CNN a couple of years ago about this. I didnt however hear of any shortage of sniper rifles. Most snipers are issued either an M24, M40, Barrett M82A1 or such and as a result always have their weapon. So seeing a Dragonuv as a crew weapon would be unlikely (I wont say impossible, because I cant speak for every soldier over there). You could however use it as a captured weapon or part of a captured weapons cache. Currently I am working on an armored M998 where the crew managed to nab an insurgent spotter and sniper with a Dragonuv.
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:25 PM UTC
Hey thanks Jed and Gary....Humvee is a new challenge for me so I don't know many things about this vehicle and I'm sorry if my questions can be very simple or stupid!!!!With the word "stowage" I (would)meaning things that standard humvee has...for example...I've seen 1025 with (on the rear) a tow bar(the exactly type that we can found in dml M1a1 aim)..is this a standard stowage?!(i think not)Another example....has humvee a spare tire like our civil car(as standard item)?!and is clear that personal equip. can be different referring to Terrain,operation,vehicle limit,ect ect...

Many thanks fot the support!!!!and for your replies,,,,they're important for me....

Ps
The only hummer that I can see is a yellow hummer(civil)that is property of a manager not far from my city!!!!

Ciro
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 06:06 PM UTC
It's unlikely that you'd see the tank towbar on the back of a HMMWV, just because the size of the feet (the couplers between the bar and the vehicle) wouldn't go down quite far enough to be effective. Also it's at least a 2 man lift, and usually you'll see three guys attaching that large tow bar when getting ready to drag the tank. You could do it, but just not an optimum solution.

However, there are some lighter towbars out there, some specifically designed for the truck series, and you might see them on the bank. I can think of two, at least, that I've worked with. One looks like a smaller version of the tank tow-bar (and from a distance could be mistaken for it), and the other is the collapsible one that extends out to meet the needs of the job (towing an FMTV may require some greater length than towing a HMMWV).

Most likely, though, just due to cost, you'll see a tow strap or two on the vehicle, either wrapped up in the bank, or "speed" wrapped on the outside, with one side already hooked through. This would let the crew quickly unwrapped it to pull the vehicle. On our trucks, each one had it attached, and I had a few with a couple of straps, in case one broke.

Jed
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
As for spare tires, it seems quite a few vehicles carry them these days. Sometimes they are attached to the back gate (so that they stand vertically), and sometimes they are laid flat on the sloping rear hatch. Either way should work for you, if you decide to model a vehicle with a spare tire.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:17 AM UTC
On the spare tire bit, pretty sure the Army had several approved variants, but the best one I ever used slide onto the tail gate, and stood vertical. Could open the tailgate, could be used on hatchbacks of all types, as well as all other standard vehicles. Others I've seen used could not be.

Some vehicles I've seen with a mount on the front, so that the vehicle could use the rubber on the tire as a kind of push bumper.

Either way, it pays to have spare tires on each truck, because it wasn't uncommon to hop a curb and blow a tire, or get hit by an IED, but still have a moderately functional truck. Would save running back on the run flats.

Jed
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 07:01 AM UTC
Here is something I have never seen before. If you look close, you'll notice that on the hardtop, there is actually extra armor on the doors, sides AND back sides of the cargo area. Interesting.

troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 07:03 AM UTC
Somebody should have told this guy to bring his spare

[img=http://thumb3.webshots.net/t/63/63/3/8/11/458430811YZIliO_th.jpg]

click the picture for full view
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
Ironically, if you look closely, you can see the spare in the back. Looks like he has one of the frames that mount to the tailgate and fold down, although it appears the tire isn't seated in all the way.

Jed
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC

Hi all!!!
After some days of navigation I've found what I need,,,,,A photo of an humvee (M1026) with ask armour kit and.....super swamper....it's on weshots under the word Super Swamper,intersting pics!!!!and it's in overall sand camo,,,,

Best regards

Safe

Ciro
 _GOTOTOP