Firefly IC
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
Gents,

Firfely IC conversion using Tamiya and MR Models conversion kit. Tis a wargaming model so the build wasnt rivet standard or anything. Got a few more details to add, (periscopes!) and a Tamiya crewman is in progress even though he looks a bit slim. It may be because I'm used to 20mm models and the crews there are usually a bit overscale.

Another point I think the hatches should be green. Can anyone confirm this and the interior colour? I was told that Brit afvs were silver inside but is that brit manufactured or lend lease as well ........?

cheers
Brent

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:06 AM UTC
Interiors hatches (and exteriors) of all Shermans were Olive drab with the rest of the interior off white. British manufactured vehicles had silver interiors -- they wouldn't have bothered to repaint the interior of a new tank off the ship. There's some speculation that if a tank required a major overhaul, such as upgunning it with the 17pdr, that it may have gotten a repaint in SCC15, which when fresh looked like US Olive Drab but upon aging, it lightened a more greenish tinge.

Those hatches are wrongly positioned too -- they weren't designed to lie flat like that. They would splay open at about 45 degrees only.

Something that many modellers miss is that there was a HEAVY weld bead build up at the bottom edge of the add-on armor in front of the drivers' stations.

HTH
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC
Thnx for the heads up on the hatch positions and colour mate. Doh - will fix em up. They'll help shroud the smallish Tamiya crewman too ............. Thats also a great picture of the front armour welds, gee they are big arent they! Be well worth adding.

cheers
Brent
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hey! I thought that the model was from the manufacturer or the catalogue! I didn't mean to simply dispense advice so clinically! Overall, your model looks fantastic! I really didn't know it was your work -- I thought you just posted a picture from the MR website or something as reference!!

Your weathering is great!!!
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Thnx Roy .. and the advice is greatfully recieved !!!!

I just tarted the model pic up by removing the crummy base I originally photographed it on. Had to do something as theres so much great photography on here (as well as the modelling) ........... And of course Tamiya have now released there own 1:48th Firefly IC so this conversion is a bit out of date. I may get a IC kit and see how it compares in detail - does anyone know off hand ?

cheers
Brent
Percheron
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 07:20 AM UTC
Good job. Nice weathering as well.

-Derek
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:40 AM UTC
Brent - that is a very nicely done Firefly, wargame model or not.

The turret on the Tamiya kit is not as nice as the MR one IMHO, and it lacks all the other goodies MR put in its conversion set, but MR is doing an update for the Tamiya Firefly to correct these other faults.

Konrad

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
Brent - Superb work As to your comments about the Tamiya kit, I don't think the conversion set is out of date at all:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/527528/message/1160484629/Firefly+IC+Comparision

- in fact, I think it's a 'must have'

Great work!
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
Great Job.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent - Superb work As to your comments about the Tamiya kit, I don't think the conversion set is out of date at all:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/527528/message/1160484629/Firefly+IC+Comparision

- in fact, I think it's a 'must have'

Great work!

Thanks Jim - exactly what I was after! I think I'll stick with the full MR conversion as the turret details are worth it IMHO .......

cheers
Brent
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:34 PM UTC
Brent, I don't know about you, but when I saw those comparison pics for the first time, I was pretty horrified at just how 'simplified' the original kit was. Yes, it looks like a Firefly, but sems on comparison with the conversion set, it's like a slightly out of focus photo - 'fuzzy' seems to be the word. On a similar topic, perhaps similar images of the AFV Club (ex-Skybow) Tiger vs. the Tamiya one would be equally 'alarming'? .
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:57 PM UTC
One thing the Tamiya model does score on is having the right radio fit, the MR one has an American SCR antenna base, while Tamiya's has the British 19 Set A and B aerials.

David
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 03:38 PM UTC
Agree totally Jim. I was very surprised to be honest that Tamiya didn't provide more of the common Firefly accesories either. I suspect they're making a good margin on the 48th stuff compared to the 36th (weight of plastic and design time) so at least they could make an effort.

And one day I hope they'll seal up the bottom of their kit hulls and start to provide crew with each kit ............ I cant help thinking that if Dragon delve into 48th Tamiya may find itself on teh back foot again in the same way as 35th. Which would be a shame.

cheers
Brent

_GOTOTOP