Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Achtung Jabo Official Thread
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
Build both
Dirk-Danger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Build both

Would be nice but I'm already down to build an F-14 in 1:72, an Apache in 1:48, A Stuka or Typhoon in 1:48 and an A-7D in 1:32 for the Aeroscale campaigns

Lee
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC
I'm in...I finally landed a Tamiya M42 Duster.
gringe88
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You shouldn't play with fire boys. You might end up getting burned....

Nah nah nah nah..... :-) :-) :-) :-)

......actually, those paintings may as well be tossed into the fantasy section. check out this site i found

http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/normandy/articles/article.html

go to the link on the top left "The Effects of Allied Air Power." Maybe the almight air power wasn't such a killer after all.......
Dirk-Danger
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

......actually, those paintings may as well be tossed into the fantasy section. check out this site i found

http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/normandy/articles/article.html

go to the link on the top left "The Effects of Allied Air Power." Maybe the almight air power wasn't such a killer after all.......

And that article by an unnamed person is on the internet so it must be true and taken as gospel........

Personnaly, I would rather take into account the peices I've read written by German Tankers themselves who are all pretty clear about the fear the Jabo's created.

I think its pretty clear that to dominate a large battlefield you need to dominate the air first, so I would say that whilst those pictures are probably very exagerated, allied air power (Heavy bombers and fighters too) really WAS a killer.......
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC
Just take a look at the effect of Il-2s, P-47s (P-51s were also used for ground attack, despite their vulnerability), etc on the outcome of the war... Or look at the Battle of the Bulge. Or the Gulf War. Air supremacy is the decisive factor most of the times. (Unless you're bombing bicycles in a jungle from 30000 feet with a B-52...)
gringe88
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
I don't argue air power became a decisive factor at that time. the article notes that it was effective at breaking up german armored formations. if the germans had the sense to do that, then the capability of aircraft to take out tanks was obviously there. But the article offers some convincing arguments and numbers. take into account how difficult it was to drop a 'dumb' bomb on a target as small as a tank (relative) while flying at 250-350 miles per hour dodging ground fire at the same time.

and looking at the other features of the battle of normandy, I think the actual tank killing ability of the air forces during the battle has been over rated. artillery for instance can be said to be more effective at taking out armor because of its ability to stay on a target longer, and lay down more ordnance during that time, made fairly accurate by a spotter.

the heaviest weapon most of the fighter bombers carried besides the bombs and rockets were .50 cal and 20mm guns, and even with armor piercing rounds, just how effective were they at punching through the kind of armor on german tanks? (im talking about tigers and panthers. pz IVs i have less confidence in) Im asking because i really dont know, and no one's sufficiently it explained for me.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be fun to have all the Panzer IV Flak variant: Wirbelwind, Ostwind, Mobelwagen (quad 2cm and 3cm) and Kugelblitz in the campaign.

So my vote goes to the Kugelblitz

I am currently working on a ZSU-23/2 mounted on a GAZ truck. Howevver, the kit is not really that good, so I am thinking of thinning out my stash by building the Ostwind.
I cannot really find any information on it. Only a few pictures on the net and the fact that kampfgruppe Peiper should have received some for the Ardennes campaign, but probably did not after all.
Anybody know anything?

The two pictures I have seen show the same vehicle on some sort of parade ground. The vehicle has zimmerit, but that seems unlikely to be the case with all Ostwinds, as it is a very late war vehicle. Maybe the one I have seen is a rebuild of a Pz. IV. Here are the pictures I have found:

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just take a look at the effect of Il-2s, P-47s (P-51s were also used for ground attack, despite their vulnerability), etc on the outcome of the war... Or look at the Battle of the Bulge. Or the Gulf War. Air supremacy is the decisive factor most of the times. (Unless you're bombing bicycles in a jungle from 30000 feet with a B-52...)

Yeah, not to mention the Henschel 129 or the Stuka. I am building a Henschel 129 myself, so look out T-34s :-)

However, the Kosovo crisis also showed that modern airpower has its limitations - especially against a well armed enemy in "closed" terrain. The 200+ tanks from the Serbian army that NATO thought they had destroyed turned out to be around 20. when the conflict ended the roads were suddenly full of tanks that should have been smouldering heaps of scrap metal.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently working on a ZSU-23/2 mounted on a GAZ truck. Howevver, the kit is not really that good, so I am thinking of thinning out my stash by building the Ostwind....

Found the Italeri Ostwind last weekend at my LHS. Didn't even knew that Italeri make one in 1/35 So I jumped on it I only need the Tamiya Mobelwagen 3cm (wich I'll probably buy this weekend) to have the full collection

The artbox show the Ostwind as in the first pic you posted. The kit seems to be a little so-so. While the turret/gun assembly looks quite good I was a little surprised to see that the chassis was kinda underdetailed on some parts. Mostly the back plate wich have the idler connectors molded in one piece (small L part and the adjusting nut), the muffler wich is molded with the protective plate molded on, etc... Another strange thing is that the kit come with the round regular muffler while the plan at the end of the instruction sheet show it with the late war style two tube mufflers. On the other hand the early war muffler would explain the zimmerit.

But I'm not a rivet counter yet so I'll probably be able to come out with something I'm happy with

Maybe I'll try to build all five for the campaign.... Yeah!.... sure #:-) :-)

I've started working on the Academy Wirblewind. must say that this kit, while supposed to be a copy of the (old) Tamiya offer, is quite ordinary. Plastic is soft, there's a lots of flash, some heavy mold lines... The road wheels are not even round Will have to try something to hide that. a load of mud maybe?

Anyway will open a WIP thread in the feedback forum soon and post a link here.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

take into account how difficult it was to drop a 'dumb' bomb on a target as small as a tank (relative) while flying at 250-350 miles per hour dodging ground fire at the same time.

It's not that hard for a trained pilot. And if using bombs, you don't have to hit the target directly, anyway. Think about the enormous success of the Stuka or the Tempest. And even an "armchair-pilot", like me, can hit tanks
(OK, if the AAA hits me, I only get annoyed, that's true.)

Quoted Text

the heaviest weapon most of the fighter bombers carried besides the bombs and rockets were .50 cal and 20mm guns, and even with armor piercing rounds, just how effective were they at punching through the kind of armor on german tanks? (im talking about tigers and panthers. pz IVs i have less confidence in) Im asking because i really dont know, and no one's sufficiently it explained for me.

ALL of Germany's tanks were very vulnerable to air-attack: the top armor of a Tiger wasn't much thicker than a IV's. (I'm not sure about the actual number, you can look it up online. It's about 14mm, if my memory serves me right.)
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It would be fun to have all the Panzer IV Flak variant: Wirbelwind, Ostwind, Mobelwagen (quad 2cm and 3cm) and Kugelblitz in the campaign.

So my vote goes to the Kugelblitz

I am currently working on a ZSU-23/2 mounted on a GAZ truck. Howevver, the kit is not really that good, so I am thinking of thinning out my stash by building the Ostwind.
I cannot really find any information on it. Only a few pictures on the net and the fact that kampfgruppe Peiper should have received some for the Ardennes campaign, but probably did not after all.
Anybody know anything?

The two pictures I have seen show the same vehicle on some sort of parade ground. The vehicle has zimmerit, but that seems unlikely to be the case with all Ostwinds, as it is a very late war vehicle. Maybe the one I have seen is a rebuild of a Pz. IV. Here are the pictures I have found:

Hi Jesper, If I can chime in on your question, the Ostwind prototype was built on a reconditioned Panzer IV chassis, probably an Ausf H (note the 4 return rollers and old style exhaust) where as the production vehicles were most probably on Ausf J chassis.
Hope that helps.
gringe88
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 09:42 AM UTC
if theyre trained, then yes. but even divebombers in the pacific attacking ships had misses. how must more when attacking a relatively small vehicle like a tank? added to that is the smoke and possibly the terrain as well.

SGTJKJ also noted that modern tank busting weapons/tactics can fail. and merely stopping a tank doesn't mean its been taken out of the fight. the germans had excellent mechanics and could get their machines back up relatively quickly. a near miss doesn't count for a kill.

henschels and the tank hunter stukas were armed with heavier caliber guns, 37 mm or something along those lines, than the 20mm and .50 of allied fighters. if the germans thought they could have gotten away with a smaller diameter ( and more widely used) weapon, why did they go into the process of developing the guns they eventually used specifically for the task of taking out tanks?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit seems to be a little so-so. While the turret/gun assembly looks quite good I was a little surprised to see that the chassis was kinda underdetailed on some parts. Mostly the back plate wich have the idler connectors molded in one piece (small L part and the adjusting nut), the muffler wich is molded with the protective plate molded on, etc... Another strange thing is that the kit come with the round regular muffler while the plan at the end of the instruction sheet show it with the late war style two tube mufflers. On the other hand the early war muffler would explain the zimmerit.

But I'm not a rivet counter yet so I'll probably be able to come out with something I'm happy with

The chassis is from Italeris old Pz IV ausf. G/H I think. That would also explain all the extra parts. This might be right for the prototype, but probably wrong for the real production units.

Anyway, like you, I am not a rivet counter, so I will not buy another kit just to get the correct hull. This would leave me with a turret and hull that does not match.
It could be that a tank sent back from the front were modified to be a Ostwind. That way some of the production vehicles would look like the prototype. I cannot really decide on whether to add zimmerit or not

@Mark197205: Thanks for the info. That explains a lot.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi everybody

Here is my first entry into the campaign.

It is a kit I picked up in Russia some years ago at a very low price. I am pretty satisfied with the result even though the kit was not really a good one. You got what you pay for

I am currently planning to do a Ostwind as my second entry. However, there are a number of other campaigns at Aeroscale I need to do first Among them the "Down low - WWII tank busting campaign"

Comments are welcome.

mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 06:01 PM UTC
Wow Jesper, you sure do work fast, I've not even cut any plastic yet.....
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
All this talk about Ostwinds and Wirbelwinds has got me going, I'm in with the CMK Ostwind....

Tamiya running gear and hull, with a CMK 'conversion set' turret and gun. Quality can best be described as 'challenging'...

I started adding the Zimmerit, as I'm building it as the picture above. There are some more pictures (of the various AA Pzr IV's) in the "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WW II", including the prototypes.

Cheers
Henk
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I have a busy campaign schedule. I still have four other campaigns on Aeroscale. (Tomcat, Helicopter, Down low - WWII tank busting, and Vietnam campaign)
Two of which I am running myself. However, I plan to join one more AA piece namely the Ostwind.

@Henk: Good job on the zimmerit so far. What are you using for putty? Milliput, Tamiya, Squadron?
I have only seen two pictures of the Ostwind and cannot find more. The pictures I have found I have posted earlier in this tread. Have you seen any "in action" pictures. Any pictures of any vehicles except the prototype?
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:51 PM UTC
Some of you works really fast.
I've done wheels and lower hull of my Crusader III AA so far. I have to finish my earlier projects too (DDD2, Commonwealth in Normandy, Arty up) so I won't have much time for Achtung Jabo this month.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Henk: Good job on the zimmerit so far. What are you using for putty? Milliput, Tamiya, Squadron?

Hi Jesper, I use Humbrol Modelling Putty for zimmerit. Straight from the tube, no mixing or other mess.

Cheers
Henk
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, I have a busy campaign schedule. I still have four other campaigns on Aeroscale. (Tomcat, Helicopter, Down low - WWII tank busting, and Vietnam campaign)
Two of which I am running myself. However, I plan to join one more AA piece namely the Ostwind.

I have only seen two pictures of the Ostwind and cannot find more. The pictures I have found I have posted earlier in this tread. Have you seen any "in action" pictures. Any pictures of any vehicles except the prototype?

You sure are gonna be busy arent you?
As for "in action" pics of the Ostwind I have only seen one, on page 56 of Panzerwrecks 1, it shows a production version near Prague in May '45, and was built on a J chassis with a few small detail changes to the prototype apart from the lack of zimmerit.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for "in action" pics of the Ostwind I have only seen one, on page 56 of Panzerwrecks 1, it shows a production version near Prague in May '45, and was built on a J chassis with a few small detail changes to the prototype apart from the lack of zimmerit.

Hhmmm... that was what I suspected. I thought most, if not all, of the production versions would be without zimmerit. I have seen a colour profile of an overall dark yellow Ostwind without any markings or zimmerit purposely attached to "Das Reich" division. However, I am a little sceptic about it as I have not seen any pictures to back it up.

Anyway, I guess it can be build with any German camouflage one fancy and both with and without zimmerit.

mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hhmmm... that was what I suspected. I thought most, if not all, of the production versions would be without zimmerit. I have seen a colour profile of an overall dark yellow Ostwind without any markings or zimmerit purposely attached to "Das Reich" division. However, I am a little sceptic about it as I have not seen any pictures to back it up.

Anyway, I guess it can be build with any German camouflage one fancy and both with and without zimmerit.

Indeed you can, although only the prototype would have had Zimmerit due to it being built on an old reworked chassis, all production models were built straight off the production line with apparently a Tiger I turret ring, a relocated radio-operators hatch and U shaped lifting rings on the corners of the front plate, as for camouflage the pic shows what I believe to be three colours in broad wavy bands.
tumi
Visit this Community
Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 06:24 AM UTC
hi, iŽll enter this campaing with a flak 38 mounted on a halftrack. the sdkfz 10/5 kit from revell.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 06:31 AM UTC
Found 3 more pictures of the Ostwind HERE

Not the best in town but better than nothing

Hey Sam, how's the kit? I saw it last weekend at my LHS and almost bought it. I'm not too much into rivet counting but more interested on how the assembly goes.