_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
DML Halftrack crew problems.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 09:47 AM UTC
I was wondering if anyone else here had tried to fit the DML german halftrack crew into one of the DML sd.kfz.. 251 kits?
I've spent several hours cutting, bending and shaving to try to get the radio op. into the passenger seat to no avail, there just isnt room for two figs up front. The kit supplied driver is noticably smaller than the figures in the crew kit, I know these trucks were small but this is insane.
I'm almost ready to give up.
13M201182
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:25 AM UTC
I'm right there with you! Nothing about that set fit THEIR own kit! I did end up giving up on the set, there was no way the driver was going to fit into the compartment. It's a shame, for as nice as the set is, you really can't use as it was intended.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 05:15 PM UTC
I think the crew was designed for a 250, not the 251. I've had to do major surgery to get them to fit in a 251.
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
I found the same thing. I'm working on the Tamiya 251/1, and the driver fits fine. But no one else fits in the radioman's seat. I bought almost every Tamiya figure kit with a driver or reclining figure, and quite a few DML also. I finally had to bash together a bunch of different parts from various kits. The resulting figure fits in the compartment, but his knees are chest high and his face is only inches from the radio! I used one of the DML halftrack crew torsos for him, as he was the radio guy in that crew. He was also turned half around toward the rear, as is the Tamiya driver. When built like that, the two of them looked like they were making out!

John Antkowiak
Manassas, VA
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the crew was designed for a 250, not the 251. I've had to do major surgery to get them to fit in a 251.

This topic was up before, when dragon was releasing their first 251 kits, and IIRC, this was the answer that was given then. Logically it makes sense, as dragon only had Sd.Kfz 250s when this figure kit was released.
Have you tried shaving off some of the soles/heels of the figures boots .. this won´t be seen when the figure is inserted and gives you another 1-2 mm? (something else that was suggested in the previous thread).
Alpine have a figure, that was specifically sculpted as a driver for these sets!
8)
rundave
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:26 AM UTC
I just finished an AFV Club SdKfz 251 C which required a crew. I made the Dragon figures fit by amputating the radio operator's right leg below the knee, cutting and reattaching his left at an angle and cutting off both the driver's legs mid-calf. Extensive work with a Dremel tool was also required on their posteriors to get them to sit 'comfortably' in their seats.

After all that, I did manage to get the driver to grip the steering wheel with his left hand and the gearshift with his right. Luckily, even shining a flashlight into the front of the model from behind doesn't show the surgery I had to do. Oh yeah... I also had to shave a bit off the top of both their heads to get enough clearance for the upper part of the halftrack's body to fit. Again, the fit is so tight it's not visible. After a crewman is added on the top MG, it will be even harder to make out what's going on 'up front.'
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:55 AM UTC
great advice guys, thanks.
I'm trying to use the radio op.
so far I've had to cut and bend both legs to get the lower profile seating position, then bend the legs up at the waist and down at the knee to get room length wise. I also cut a reflief into the bottom of the firewall as my reference picks showed a small footbox there. After that I bent the left leg inwards and the right leg in and up to fit resting on top of the left. After all that I started shaving down the side of the right leg and a bit of the firewall where they overlap to get the fig to rest more against the side of the interior wall. This is where Im at now, trying to clear enough room to put the radio op in and sort of in the kit position ie: turning backwards.
should of decided to do the dio AFTER the bazooka hit.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
Yep, got to agree here. Having made several Dragon halftracks, I gave up trying to crew them in the end. Even the radio operators in the back of the 251/6 needed surgery to get them to fit in. The dwarf supplied with the latest kit (251/16) may fit, haven't tried yet. I dry fitted the flame gunners before deciding whether to have them in action or not. They do fit, but it's anyone's guess what they are supposed to be doing, they just looked as though they were stroking their equipment (ahem!), so the flame guns are in the travelling position! Strangely, the Tamiya driver supplied with the 251/1 D fit the vehicle pefectly. So why can't Dragon do it? perhaps the Tamiya kit has inaccurately deep footwells?
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:05 AM UTC
Well the good news is I had a day off from work today due to snow, and I think I've won, the radio op seems to be sitting pretty well now, and is twisted around nicely shouting out back. hope it works when everything comes together.
 _GOTOTOP