_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
What do YOU want from Armorama?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC
With the 'winds of change' now settling down a little and positive thoughts being the order of the day , perhaps now seems like as good a time as any to actually ask what do YOU, the site-users of Armorama want to see?

Please remember, if we're going to arrive where we want to get to as an on-line community, the feedback from users is vital...

Personally speaking, there are several areas which i'd like to see expanded, created or simply given more impetus. These are:

1) More assistance given to 'returnees' to the hobby or simply those who are starting out.

2) More resources available in both 1/72nd and 1/48th Armor building

3) A 'Research Forum' created where (specific) questions can be put over any aspect of a vehicle
- this obviously exists within the Forums, but, IMO, it would be useful to have a 'specific' area where such matters can be discussed.

4) A specific 'Books Forum' - here information could be shared about published material and also, for the 'Newbie' help could be given as to what titles could be of use.

Visitors - a lot of people visit the site but why do more not register? At the moment it's 212 visitors and 38 registered users.

As I said, these is only my 'personal' wish-list.

What do YOU want to see?
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:15 PM UTC
okay Jim, I'll bite on this one...............
This relates more to the Kitmaker network rather than Armorama.
How about a diorama specific site. Since we have Armorama for armor, HF for figures, SW for ships etc.
Perhaps a diorama specific site that will encompass not only military/armor themed dios but all diorama subjects?

Cheers,
Charles
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:39 PM UTC
Jim, I like the idea about a separate Book & Research Forum. As you mentioned books and research are naturally endemic to all the forums in one way or another, but the posts on books and/or research are quickly ‘lost’ in the pure number of post on Armorama.

Also searching (as I have done from time-to-time) through the posts, for a specific item you have a recollection of, is still an arduous task, even more so when you cannot remember the exact thread.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:59 PM UTC
[ Visitors - a lot of people visit the site but why do more not register? At the moment it's 212 visitors and 38 registered users.

Jim,as a newbie being on the site it works extremely well for me.
There is a lot of good members who contribute to the Armourama site

The only downside I have noticed if you have so many visitors and they do not have a log in to the Kitmaker network and they want to see a modellers gallery they have to log in as a member .
This would deter a lot of people away from visiting members contributions and work placed in thier gallery.

I am speaking from experience from when I visited the web site prior to becoming a member.

Hope this feedback helps.
Cheers
Michael

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:12 PM UTC

Jim ,
No complaints or personal wants here ---BUT........?????
What about having a dedicated - named-"HINTS and TIPS" forum ....with a possible "HOW-TO----" -"sticky" forum on how to use the plastic medium (shape and form), brass(and P-E) , molding , painting and resin workings--------like the old feature in magazines
It would save numerous repeated requests ........and I'm sure there are quite a few of us who could do items that could be "looked -up " in one spot........and yes ,newbuilders arriving DONT know how to join two pieces of plastic --or how to work out sizes from angles on drawings and how to make curves , what glues to use and washes (how many repeat questions ) .
It could also be used to hold information on "HOW ITS BUILT"in respect of kit instructions (lack of and or requests for ).
Just a thought ---and yes I know we have a Feature 's section but do newbies appreciate what is in a "FEATURE"
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:35 PM UTC
Jim,
Thanks for the terrific opportunity to voice our ideas and suggestions regarding the future of Armorama. Personally, I have gleaned so much from this site already, but from a selfish standpoint I think a Scratchbuilders Forum might be successful - especially if modelers could become involved with group projects on a fairly regular basis. My idea would be to present scratchbuilding as not only a way to simply and inexpensively create your own details, but also a means of improving general modeling skills and enhance the satisfaction we derive from the hobby. A build-along feature, I think, would be a great way to take other modelers step-by-step through entire projects with careful instruction and photographs.
I think a dedicated reference resource would also benefit alot of modelers. In this day and age we have access to so much information, having a data-base available to access would give modelers a chance to share and compare photographs, illustrations and technical drawings.

Mike Kirchoff
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a Scratchbuilders Forum might be successful

hi mike

we already have a scratch builders forum here

cheers

keith forsyth
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:03 PM UTC
Jim
A books forum.
A research forum.
Hints and tips forum also.

I know the relevant information is probably here but trying to find it sometimes is difficult.

Thanks for asking.

Tony
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Keith,
I suppose if that's what you want to call it. It's not exactly what I had in mind.....

Thanks,
Mike Kirchoff
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This relates more to the Kitmaker network rather than Armorama.
How about a diorama specific site. Since we have Armorama for armor, HF for figures, SW for ships etc.
Perhaps a diorama specific site that will encompass not only military/armor themed dios but all diorama subjects?

Hi Charles. I would like to label myself as a diormaist more than an armor or figure modeller, and can appreciate that that you would like more focus on dioramas. So would I.
But Im not 100% convinced that a seperate site will be the complete answer. The loss of content that went to the figure site including their "situation" section, was a blow in itself, but now seperating armor and groundwork and what goes along with it, I think would have another negative effect on both again.

In my opinion, all 3 are too connected to have seperate. Id like to see one site with a model/model related forum only to incompass all 3 of the above (maybe split in 2 ... one to show in progress and techniques and one as a showcase for finished models only), but have a general military theme, then have different discussion/resource forums relating to armor, figures and situations.
Just my €0.02!
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a diorama specific site.

Hi Jim,
I'll echo Charles sentiments.I would like to propose a stand alone Diorama site encompassing ALL facets of diorama building.As i have mentioned on a past post,we have a Diorama forum on Armorma and then there is the "Situation" forum over on HF.
An amalgamation of these two would be better suited to everybody wishing to compliment their Armour or Figure displays on the Kitmaker Network.
If you look on the internet,there are various other figure and armour sites but not one that focuses PURELY on Diorama building.
The Diorama forum needs some new life breathed into it.An introduction of it's own stand alone site would only enhance the Kitmaker Network as a whole and add yet another string to the sites bow.
Other than that i like the changes that are taking place and the addition of Jazza and Exer to the staff can only mean good things are to come.
Cheers,Shay
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith,
I suppose if that's what you want to call it. It's not exactly what I had in mind.....

Thanks,
Mike Kirchoff

It is what the users make it. If it doesn't match your ideas of a scratchbuilder's forum, volunteer to be the host and shape it towards your vision.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
I'd like to see the "search" function improved. When I first signed up to the site back in 2004, it was very easy to search for various items and get great results. Since the site went to the Google based search, it's just not as effective. For instance yesterday, I did a search on "234/4". Many of the results sent me to a Model on Display feature by one of the members. That was okay, but there was a seperate listing for every language in which the display was posted. Other hits just brough me to a generic forum page instead of the exact thread like it was supposed to.

An improvement here would not only make it easier to find information quickly, but would also help do away with the same questions being posted time after time.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith,

Thanks,
Mike Kirchoff

sorry mike

i didn't wish my post to come across as patronising, which having re-read it, it appears to be. I should have explained a little more what i actually mean.

There are quite a few forums across the enter kitmaker network, some of which are virtually the same. This has in some respects watered down the participation of the the users on the forums, it has also meant that items relevant to each other are missed unless you visit the other forum. It also means that some forums do not generate the user traffic, and it will be this that in some respects dictates the way in which the sites go forward.

you only have to look at the total topics posted in the armorama forums to see the scratch building one is the lowest (not including the private forums , admin and a-guard).

It may be that the forum needs to be looked at again, to see it we can increase it usage, but currently i don't really see the need for another one based on how frequently the current one is used.

Which is a shame as i do believe the art of scratch building is a dying art, due to the readily available after market items. I would like nothing more than to be able to post some how to articles on scratch building, but again its not some thing we are being sent.

This again would also have a impact on having a separate Diorama section as much as i would love to see one, it would depend how much regular input we have from the site users, so the section did not go stale.

hope that expresses my thought's a little more

cheers

Keith Forsyth
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
The diorama forum debate is a very tough one to tackle. Each genre has its own 'flavor'/variation of diorama. There are also only a few of us who cross genres and do diorama's in different subject areas.

How's this for an idea on Diorama - a "Diorama Filter" on the Latest Network Post that only shows the 'diorama' related threads across the network. I know you can sort by Forum on that page, but Im thinking one more step - show only Dio. Threads.

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:12 PM UTC
I'll jump in on this. I would still like to see a newbie/rookie/returnee dedicated area. Not a separate site but a separate forum would do. Right now we have the threads for it but they are very easily lost track of. A specific area for people to post who feel somewhat intimidated in the regular forums.

Edit: Just re-read Jim's original post and I guess this fits in with his first point
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:17 PM UTC
Keith,
I also re-read my post and realized it came across as a bit of a slam ... which was certainly not my intention. If I were to tweak the forum in any way I would offer more hands-on subject-fare. I have a friend who shies away from posting his work because others on the forum are light-years ahead of his efforts. I merely wanted to suggest offering demonstrative projects - from simple and basic to full-blown interiors - so that others could follow along at their own pace and perhaps gaining confidence and satisfaction with their efforts.

Thanks for the time,
Mike Kirchoff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith,
I also re-read my post and realized it came across as a bit of a slam ... which was certainly not my intention. If I were to tweak the forum in any way I would offer more hands-on subject-fare. I have a friend who shies away from posting his work because others on the forum are light-years ahead of his efforts. I merely wanted to suggest offering demonstrative projects - from simple and basic to full-blown interiors - so that others could follow along at their own pace and perhaps gaining confidence and satisfaction with their efforts.

Thanks for the time,
Mike Kirchoff

Mike, I agree with you.

But I also agree with Robins' statement:

Quoted Text

It is what the users make it. If it doesn't match your ideas of a scratch-builder's forum, volunteer to be the host and shape it toward your vision.

Since "staff" is actively looking for "NEW HOSTS" for many forums, perhaps it a good opportunity for many to step up, and help shape things in their visions. It truely is what the members and hosts make of each forum.

drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:56 PM UTC
Dave,
You and Robin are correct, indeed. I'd volunteer to do whatever necessary to help Armorama in any way possible. Who's a guy gotta talk to around here .....?

Mike Kirchoff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:01 PM UTC
You might want to try Staff-Jim, since he's the guy with all the magic buttons. :-)
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC
I like the research, book and hints & tips Forums ideas. A newbies- retuenees forum would also be an excellent idea. I think it boils down to having staff to monitor the forums and have the site organized so that it is easy to navigate. As to the visitor- login ratio, it may just be some folks are intimadated by the" login" requirement or may feel it involves a certain amount of 'eletism" (does not exist here by the way) . Just my thoughts, please keep up the excellent work and a job well done.

Doug
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
You and Robin are correct, indeed. I'd volunteer to do whatever necessary to help Armorama in any way possible. Who's a guy gotta talk to around here .....?

Mike Kirchoff

Yes, Staff_Jim is the one to talk to and he would be very happy to have a scratch builder take control of the forum and steer it in the right direction.

This is what made the site a draw to online modelers in the beginning. There was the opportunity to take charge of various aspects by the rank and file.
DieselRocket
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
I agree that a research and book review section would be great. I would like to see more "official builds", and more often - of course I realize that builds take time, and more often is easier said than done.

The biggest thing I would like to see is the use of Flash video - it would be great to be able to upload videos to the site (however I realize that could be a bandwidth issue, and bandwidth costs $$$), and even bigger yet - I would like to see the really great staff members of Armorama create "how-to" videos. Video documentaries of builds would be a hobby first on the WWW...

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC

Hi all,
Can I speak from the heart The Scratch-builders forum is for as it says "Scratch-building"----but as stated it may not be fully utilised ---hence my "Ask" for a "Hints and Tips " forum ---so make a sub-forum within it (Is that a possibility)
I think that a lot of modelers are a bit ..awed-afraid -shy ..of posting on it --WHY???----intimidation !!---don't think so, because there are not a lot of views expressed on it ---but many-many look . 26 out of how many on the site ..entered a 12 month campaign
Allow the new /returned modelers a forum but it may need a kind hand at the helm , as the first --"Thats not the way to do it !"comment willl drive it underground ---don't know what to call it but some -one may -----
Said my piece --now retiringto my scratch -built bench ---scratched my itch
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:54 PM UTC
After seeing Jim's video review of the Russian building, I realized how valuable a video library would be. SBS's, reviews, or "how to's". I've been building for over 20 years, but thought of PE makes me cringe. I'd love to see someone do a video how to with PE.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP